No. California cache found

hilltrekker

Friend of a friend of sister-in-law found this.

Buried treasure: Seiad woman unearths 41 gold coins in her garden

By Ami Ridling
Siskiyou Daily News
Posted Feb 17, 2012 @ 08:28 AM

It is not often that a person stumbles upon a stack of 19th century gold coins
while digging a hole in the garden to plant a fruit tree, but this extraordinary discovery was recently made by Seiad resident Kathy Bishop at her Lowden Ranch home.

“I was surprised, excited and stunned,” Bishop said. “My first thought was that they were gold-colored foiled chocolate candies.”

Surrounding a broken glass jar where the coins were once placed for safe keeping, Bishop said she unearthed 41 gold Liberty Head Double Eagle $20 coins with dates ranging from 1875 to 1896. Each coin weighs one ounce.

According to Bishop, 40 of the coins were minted in San Francisco, and one was minted in Carson City, Nev. While Bishop tried to keep the unearthed treasure a secret, she said that the occurrence was so exciting that she had to tell a few people. It was not long before the news began spreading throughout the county.

The discovery occurred on Jan. 5, when Bishop and her friend were preparing her garden to plant fruit trees. She had placed seven stakes in the areas of her garden where she wanted to plant the trees.

Having second thoughts about the location of the seventh tree, she decided to move its stake, and that was when she dug the new hole and discovered the gold coins.

“If I hadn’t moved that stake, I would have missed the gold,” Bishop said.

Bishop commented that she has walked over the spot where the gold was buried more times than she can count. Lowden Ranch was once occupied by John Lowden, who died in 1905, Bishop said.

“We are surmising that John buried these coins. Apparently the old timers buried their money often,” she said, adding that she has heard of other property owners finding gold hidden on their properties.

The current value of gold is $1,765 per ounce, although Bishop said that she is not in a rush to have the coins appraised.

“Right now we just think gold is a good thing to have around,” Bishop said. “We have no plans for it yet.”

The coins are being stored in a safety deposit box at a bank, where they will stay.

Copyright 2012 Siskiyou Daily News. Some rights reserved

She should just be glad they were double eagles and not reales. Then the spanish gov't might try to claim them. :D

I'd be heading to the bank to stick them in a deposit box. Too easy for someone(s) to decide they deserve those more than the people who found them.

depending on the numismatic value..holy cow.. some of those bring in fat cash.

nice haul for sure.

i've found shards and zinc lids of ball and mason jars in a few places in our backyard (have only owned the house for 3yrs...1920's craftsman Ford built for one of his foreman), but no coins or huge wads of paper currency.

$72,365 just in gold value. 41 coins an ounce each at 1,765.00 at the time of the writing of this article. Nice paycheck for planting a tree. :lol: That's just the melt value. Imagine the numismatic value of all these ..... wow ...

You know there are thousands of these caches just waiting to be found.

Agreed a cache like this should be sold as a collection. It wouldn't soar in value or anything as a complete cache, but it would add a premium at auction. "The Lowden Ranch Cache" has a nice ring.

Huge gold coin cache

Huge $20 Liberty Double Eagle gold coin cache!!!!!!!! Wow!!!!!!!! I am very impressed with those 41 gold coins buried in ground for long time until this gold coin cache was found by this woman. Glad to hear that she don't plan to sell them and she already put them away in safety deposit boxes at her bank.

Bishop said. “My first thought was that they were gold-colored foiled chocolate candies.”

Yum Yum!!!

Back
Top Bottom