• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

So, You Want To be a Nuggetshooter?

Terry Soloman

Elite Member
Forum Supporter
Thought all you folks that have never swung a metal detector for gold nuggets out west, might like a little Tabasco with those eggs! :laughing:

Attachments

• Cac1.jpg
    Cac1.jpg
    175.5 KB · Views: 701
  • Cac2.jpg
    Cac2.jpg
    143.2 KB · Views: 695
  • Cac3.jpg
    Cac3.jpg
    186 KB · Views: 712
  • cac4.jpg
    cac4.jpg
    168.9 KB · Views: 695
  • ittybull.jpg
    ittybull.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 701
Last edited:
new tesoro SS tool not toy

Terry I see gold, I hope you used the Sand Shark or all the rest is a waste. I take it dry sand (Arizona), guessing gully bottom do you remember what the settings were. I just got my 10.5 inch early this week and am waiting for the final 3 ft of snow to retreat and wouldn't you know fresh snow yesterday and today. The beach here is saltwater with over 60 years of logging waste no place to swim or lie on the sand lots of wind and tons of junk and not very pretty or interesting if we had a glacier it would just calf.

I have an area I prospect with very mineralized soil with some small gold but my bounty hunter really doesn't nor the wifes Ace 250 hence my sand shark and hunt the dream I've found small junk targets to 9 inch deep close to the house in VCO mode but not much in normal yet. Hoping for a trip to Quesnel/Barkerville later in the summer maybe a couple of old tailings piles.

Start with Mid-Level Settings..

Hi Bubby-Joe! The Sand Shark is VERY sensitive, and you can actually use too-much power in the gold fields. In my tests at Rich Hill, I found VCO mode to be the way to go, with pulse width at about 230pm. Hot rocks give a particular signal - rough and growling, while gold sounded crisp and tight. Bullets sound just like nuggets! I think you will be very pleased. :cool:

Terry I see gold, I hope you used the Sand Shark or all the rest is a waste. I take it dry sand (Arizona), guessing gully bottom do you remember what the settings were. I just got my 10.5 inch early this week and am waiting for the final 3 ft of snow to retreat and wouldn't you know fresh snow yesterday and today. The beach here is saltwater with over 60 years of logging waste no place to swim or lie on the sand lots of wind and tons of junk and not very pretty or interesting if we had a glacier it would just calf.

I have an area I prospect with very mineralized soil with some small gold but my bounty hunter really doesn't nor the wifes Ace 250 hence my sand shark and hunt the dream I've found small junk targets to 9 inch deep close to the house in VCO mode but not much in normal yet. Hoping for a trip to Quesnel/Barkerville later in the summer maybe a couple of old tailings piles.

Yep, Central Arizona.

Wow, is this is the US? I used to think there wasn't much history in US (really ignorant of me, I know) but looking thru all the MD forums I've found out that there's a lot more than I had assumed.

Do you know if Australia is that trashy too? I've heard there are good pockets of gold nuggets there. Perhaps I can try my luck when visiting my relatives Down Under in the future. That's assuming I don't get killed by all the animals there....

Any gold fields that have been worked since the 1850s-1860s, like those surrounding Rich Hill in Arizona, or in the Outback of Austrailia, is going to have a ton of trash in the already wicked soil. Good Luck! :cool:

Thanks for the info Terry Plated the Bike today (gear goes in the sidecar weight won't be a problem it's built like a tank) so I can get back to the site just waiting on the SUN to remove the snow HURRY UP SUN I don't care about the mud I can process the mud at home later, just want to get in and DIG,DIG,DIG. If I found that many bullets the tiger torch makes them into bars/buttons for clean scrap. For some reason I can't hear changes in the junk hunting around the house but will try to get my 1 good ear to listen for the differences to many 84mm rocket launchers, kind of wish for a long well picked beach so I could pick the deeper targets but that's something to look forward to.

Just takes time on the headphones..

Thanks for the info Terry Plated the Bike today (gear goes in the sidecar weight won't be a problem it's built like a tank) so I can get back to the site just waiting on the SUN to remove the snow HURRY UP SUN I don't care about the mud I can process the mud at home later, just want to get in and DIG,DIG,DIG. If I found that many bullets the tiger torch makes them into bars/buttons for clean scrap. For some reason I can't hear changes in the junk hunting around the house but will try to get my 1 good ear to listen for the differences to many 84mm rocket launchers, kind of wish for a long well picked beach so I could pick the deeper targets but that's something to look forward to.

Like any new machine, just takes time on the headphones and fiddling with settings until you find yourself popping the right targets with comparative ease. Big Nuggets! :cool:

If lead and nuggies are coming up the same just practice with some lead fishing weight. That's what I use to tune my machine before I head out. Good luck.

Dang that's alot of garbage.... I don't know why, but i always thought of the desert as being cleaner than that...

Wow you sure did a lot of digging to collect all that, :wow: But at least it looks like it payed off. Congrats

Back
Top Bottom