Scoop repair for $25??

Owl Engineering

Forum Supporter
We at Sunspot Stealth have been doing a favor at $25 to do minor repairs on off brand and knock-off scoops. This scoop was sent in and was an eye opener :laughing:

Horrible welds and design.

No knock out hole under the handle for when sand locks the handle in the tube. Some of the welds looked like a tack rather then a finished weld.

Anyway, we will do our best :mad:

Chuck

PS This might be the last repair we do :?:

Attachments

• 1 scoop  3.jpg
    1 scoop 3.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 608
  • 1 scoop.jpg
    1 scoop.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 581
  • 1 scoop  4.jpg
    1 scoop 4.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 592
  • 1 scoop  2.jpg
    1 scoop 2.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 578
At least there wasn't anything wrong with the fit up in the first pic... ;)

edit - $25 is an unbelievably low price. Maybe $25 minimum would be more reasonable?

25 bucks

Is a good price, however a lot of people are using local welder's, as shipping price's have climbed through out the year's.

Chuck I'd seriously advise you to simplify your life and not bother fixing others mistakes...both the buyers as well as the makers! $25 isn't worth your time! Especially as spring/summer approach and you get slammed with new scoop orders.

I'm glad the stealth scoop doesn't split like that. My 720 took 2 yrs of brutal abuse before I had to send it back last week. I'm still amazed you were able to fix that thing.

If I used the one in the OP, I'd be willing to bet it would last 1 hunt in the rocks. Thing split open like a can. Can't believe you only charged $25. Personally, i'd say no thanks to repairing junk. Why keep these other jokers in business by fixing their mistakes. Then people will think "hey I can just buy this cheap one, then have chuck fix it for $25 and still be cheaper than the real thing"

buy a fake scoop and pay for the repair ,although the scoop did not even rub on the sand ...

cheap fish - bad soup (ukr) "дешева риба - погана юшка"(с)

The old saying holds true. You get what you pay for. That is why I got the 920 IX. And the way Sun Spot stands behind there product. I love my 920 IX. You would have to kill me to pry it from my hands.

Looks like bubble gum would have held better :D

I agree with the others, I would just focus on repairs/upgrades of your products, leave these garbage scoops for the recycling. They cheaped out vs buying the real thing from you.

My stealth has been going strong for over 5 years, always satisfied with its performance. ;)

Looks like bubble gum would have held better :D

leave these garbage scoops for the recycling.

This service Chuck provides is good for R&D...for "what Not to do"...so yeah..its an interesting and unique concept on a destructive test, repairing stupids?..$25 seems a bit paltry, but big picture this?...captured a customer!...eyeballs on the industry competitors?, Actually..its a hell of a smart strategy!..also, let the new guy do the fixits...see what skills he has before putting him on the line...

I bought this same scoop. Same result...

(Long time lurker, first time poster...)

Looks like it was welded with mild steel wire.

I don't know what you charge for yours, but looking at it from a fabricators perspective, I can tell it's better. Your bends are clearly well done on a press brake, with nice fitting, whereas that looks like it was wrapped around a piece of pipe to form the radius.

Some guys think they're getting a bargain when they buy a knock-off. A picture says it all, and these pictures sure do.

Last edited:
Some guys think they're getting a bargain when they buy a knock-off. A picture says it all, and these pictures sure do.

Best advice for new water hunters: DON'T BE CHEAP! Buy Quality the first time or you'll just end up replacing it.

That is beyond a minor repair. I personally bought a cheap scoop and know it's limitations. I couldn't justify spending just under $300 on something I might not enjoy.
The quality scoops are the way to go. I wonder if this person got their $99 worth and could justify putting another $25 into it.

Thanks for sharing the picture!

I had a scoop repaired at a local marine shop that does a lot of custom aluminum welding. Cost me $20 and I did not have to ship it. The scoop looked like the one pictured by the poster. It too was a cheaper knockoff of the Stavr. I sold the scoop for what I paid even after repairs.

it makes a guy feel good fixing competitors failures. I almost feel like doing it for free just for the word of mouth advertising. sorry. its not free. :laughing:

Back
Top Bottom