MXT finds and observations

Semtav

Elite Member
When I posted my first year finds a short while back, I kinda thought I was at the end of my rope. The racetrack had dried up and the homesteads weren't producing any coins. kinda figured now I'm gonna get bored and wind up putting this thing away.
But with a little encouragement to try different setting from Cfmct and Ohiodigger, I thought I'd give it another try. Although I knew I'd covered that racetrack area so many times, there was no chance anything could be left and the reason I hadn't found a single thing in the last half dozen hunts.Boy was I wrong. First I started turning it on in the coin mode and then switching to relic mode. This brought on a whole new set of tones and I was able to find some pretty small items at a couple homestead hunts. Then I tried turning the machine on in the relic mode and switching to coin and that again brought on new tones. finally I tried the recommended relic mode only, but that brought horrible amount of noise in the real trashy areas.
But through it all, I learned there was a place for each setting and I was able to capitalize on the versatility of this machine.
In the last week or so, I've been able to find :
1 Washington Quarter
a 53 and 59 Jefferson Nickel
1 War nickel
1 Buffalo Nickel
2 Mercury dimes
2 Roosevelt dimes
and 7 wheat pennies

Altho I had worked the area to death, I didn't find most of the coins at some magical depth unheard of before. I did, however start paying more attention to the different sounds and VDI numbers and dig more signals because of it.

I do now think the MXT is a deep machine in the relic mode because some of the areas I was able to find coins in were trashy areas (weed and grass wise)that I hadn't been able to get close to the ground on before.

Is the MXT the one size fits all machine?? Nope !!!!!! I still struggle with homesteads and very trashy areas with a lot of rusty tin in them

Todays finds:

4b302895558a9262dd91a8253171b907.jpg

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Wow, that's some crazy good finds for an area that didn't have anything left in it....

Yea, it sure is -- Haha !!!!!

a smaller dd coil will help immensely in those trashy areas.

Thanks, thats why i'm trying to find one. Posted this but never got an answer:

Whats the best small sniper coil for the MXT all pro for real trashy sites and along metal fences?

Thats awesome!!! Im glad we able able to help!!

yea, thanks. now on to trying to figure out the prospecting mode that is giving me fits.

When I posted my first year finds a short while back, I kinda thought I was at the end of my rope. The racetrack had dried up and the homesteads weren't producing any coins. kinda figured now I'm gonna get bored and wind up putting this thing away.
But with a little encouragement to try different setting from Cfmct and Ohiodigger, I thought I'd give it another try. Although I knew I'd covered that racetrack area so many times, there was no chance anything could be left and the reason I hadn't found a single thing in the last half dozen hunts.Boy was I wrong. First I started turning it on in the coin mode and then switching to relic mode. This brought on a whole new set of tones and I was able to find some pretty small items at a couple homestead hunts. Then I tried turning the machine on in the relic mode and switching to coin and that again brought on new tones. finally I tried the recommended relic mode only, but that brought horrible amount of noise in the real trashy areas.
But through it all, I learned there was a place for each setting and I was able to capitalize on the versatility of this machine.
In the last week or so, I've been able to find :
1 Washington Quarter
a 53 and 59 Jefferson Nickel
1 War nickel
1 Buffalo Nickel
2 Mercury dimes
2 Roosevelt dimes
and 7 wheat pennies

Altho I had worked the area to death, I didn't find most of the coins at some magical depth unheard of before. I did, however start paying more attention to the different sounds and VDI numbers and dig more signals because of it.

I do now think the MXT is a deep machine in the relic mode because some of the areas I was able to find coins in were trashy areas (weed and grass wise)that I hadn't been able to get close to the ground on before.

Is the MXT the one size fits all machine?? Nope !!!!!! I still struggle with homesteads and very trashy areas with a lot of rusty tin in them

Todays finds:

4b302895558a9262dd91a8253171b907.jpg

Semtav

I was chuckling at your back and forth between modes... I haven't used coin and jewelry mode since buying the MXT... Relic mode is the only mode I use... for those trashy area's I like using the SEF 8x6 in fact I haven't used the stock 10 inch DD since putting the 8x6 on because it gets the same depth as the 10DD and its much better in heavy iron...

One thing.. I do not hunt parks with the MXT.. I only hunt private property or woods... the only drawback for the MXT is its love of rusty bottle caps...

I found the original green Teknetics T2 was great hunting parks because it had a bottle cap program... I'm still kicking myself for selling... oh well beach hunting season is coming soon so I will put away the dirt machine when that happens.

Glad you are doing better with the MXT.

Semtav

I was chuckling at your back and forth between modes... I haven't used coin and jewelry mode since buying the MXT... Relic mode is the only mode I use...

This^^^ I havnt used Coin and Jewelry since Cfmct suggested to me as well to use Relic Mode.....

One thing.. I do not hunt parks with the MXT.. I only hunt private property or woods... the only drawback for the MXT is its love of rusty bottle caps...

Glad you are doing better with the MXT.

I think that's the key. I had to make the MXT work in every situation. My racetrack where I've found most of my silver is littered with hundreds and hundreds of bottle caps not to mention an equal number of pull tabs. Listening for the sound and not having to look at my screen on every beep helped me keep my sanity. A smaller coil is on my short list.

I still think I have an issue with my detector. I stopped at a park today and could only get the high tone on all metals in relic mode. Finally switched to c&j for a while then tried relic again and it worked normal.

I think that's the key. I had to make the MXT work in every situation. My racetrack where I've found most of my silver is littered with hundreds and hundreds of bottle caps not to mention an equal number of pull tabs. Listening for the sound and not having to look at my screen on every beep helped me keep my sanity. A smaller coil is on my short list.

I still think I have an issue with my detector. I stopped at a park today and could only get the high tone on all metals in relic mode. Finally switched to c&j for a while then tried relic again and it worked normal.

No... your detector is working correctly if you were hunting with zero discrimination... only one tone is heard... I always use a little disc if I am hunting 2 tone... just turn the dial to 1 and you will get your two tones back.

Oh ha! Didn't know the disc knob even worked in relic mode. Thanks.

Yep sure enough. Went out and tried it and that was it. Probably lots more little nuances to this machine I'll learn some day.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom