Metal tag

CJW

I found this by an old mining town in central PA, not sure what it was for. It's about 1 inch in diameter. Any ideas what it could be for.

Attachments

• CameraZOOM-20170401194811726.jpg
    CameraZOOM-20170401194811726.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 293
Last edited:
That was a tag used by miners to track their output in the mines for the day...When they filled a car with coal they would attach it to the car to be recorded for them for the day...sometimes they had multiple tags with them so that the tag wouldnt have to be sent back down on the cars....They were payed piece work style by how many cars they filled during the day....My Father worked the mines for many years and i remember him coming home covered in black dirt...It was BACK BREAKING GRUELING WORK...Glad i was as that era was ending here...I often wondered if i would be able to do it

Thanks, I couldn't remember what it was used for. Another member of this forum and I are going up to that old coal town today, maybe we will find more. I also found the top half of an old oil lamp there, who knows what we will find.

Thanks, I couldn't remember what it was used for. Another member of this forum and I are going up to that old coal town today, maybe we will find more. I also found the top half of an old oil lamp there, who knows what we will find.

Hope you're not heading to Centralia....Thats a Dangerous place

Working Man

You have to love and respect miners, men who risk life and limb for our energy needs. Hopefully, soon they will be able to make a living again at their occupation, and safely.

You have to love and respect miners, men who risk life and limb for our energy needs. Hopefully, soon they will be able to make a living again at their occupation, and safely.

I hope you're right. A recent trip to Bluefield, WV was an eye opener.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom