Need Help with water find

floridabill

In Memory Of
Forum Supporter
I went to my nieces in Miami this weekend and hunted Key Biscayne Beach and found this. It is very thin maybe from the saltwater appears to be copper or gold and is the size of a quarter any guesses I'm lost....

Picture338.jpg

Picture337.jpg

Picture339.jpg

Picture340.jpg

That looks so familiar... I know this is off subject bill but I just want to say that the 14k Blue sapphire was my favorite ring I have seen anybody find.

Coin

Floridabill.......Sure looks like a replica of a Spanish gold Escudo coin from the 1715 treasure fleet that sank off the east coast of Florida. A lot of theses are sold in tourist gift shops as pirate treasure to wear or pass out at partys. You can Google ......"1715 Escudo gold coin" or find the book called "Pieces of Eights" by Kip Wagner (1966) or locate a January 1965 National Geographic magazine and you can see if it looks like the real thing. Hope this helps you out.....DryTortugaSteve

Last edited:
Floridabill.......Looks like you have a replica of a Spanish gold Escudo coin from the 1715 treasure fleet that sank off the east coast of Florida. A lot of theses are sold in tourist gift shops as pirate treasure to wear or pass out at partys. Google ......"1715 Escudo gold coin" or find the book called "Pieces of Eights" by Kip Wagner (1966) or locate a January 1965 National Geographic magazine and you can see the real thing. Hope this helps you out.....DryTortugaSteve

Thanks my only question would be if it was a replica why wasnt it green or whatever from the saltwater. It was very deep about 1 1'2', again thanks for the information. Another thing not sure if it would help but it is paper thin

Hi Bill

Doesn't Look Copper To Me.i See Glints Of Yellow In The Drill Hole And A Tiny Blob Or Drop On One Side Of The Coin.copper Is Orangy.i Think It's Brass Or Could It Be Possible Its Gold? The Water Conditions Turned It Color Slightly? Ipulled a 10 kt class ring that was in muck and it was kinda that color until i took the jewelers cloth to it so,please keep us posted.
Hmmm,anyways Its Cool Whatever It Is.
Dave

Coin

Floridabill.....Theses Escudo coins where the Cadillacs of Spanish coins. They didn't cut corners, they made those coins out of gold and they are heavy. I haven't heard of any made of silver. Only the pieces of eights where made from silver and or gold. Why its not green? I have no clue. Maybe it was because it was buried under the sand and air could not reach it. Being made thin...different companys made theses pirate coins to sell and they wanted to make a cheap product...so they made it thin. If it was made from something other than gold or silver and was made so thin by the Spanish 300+ yrs ago...it would have probably disintegrated by now. All the Spanish coins I have seen, they have not been made of what you have found. Maybe its something else like a token type coin. Try taking it to a local coin shop. Maybe they will be able to help you out. But have it checked out to play it safe anyways. Cheers and have a good day hunting...DryTortugaSteve

Last edited:
I would get it checked to see if it is gold. If it was copper it would most likely have a green patina to it. Unless it was a recent loss but it was down quite far for that.

Floridabill.....Theses Escudo coins where the Cadillacs of Spanish coins. They didn't cut corners, they made those coins out of gold and they are heavy. I haven't heard of any made of silver. Only the pieces of eights where made from silver and or gold. Why its not green? I have no clue. Maybe it was because it was buried under the sand and air could not reach it. Being made thin...different companys made theses pirate coins to sell and they wanted to make a cheap product...so they made it thin. If it was made from something other than gold or silver and was made so thin by the Spanish 300+ yrs ago...it would have probably would have disintegrated by now. All the Spanish coins I have seen, they have not been made of what you have found. Maybe someone else has seen one and they will be able to help you out. Cheers and have a good day hunting...DryTortugaSteve

Thanks for all the input someone on the Whires forum wrote this

Very interesting find for South Florida!

French Jeton. You can see the Fleur-de-Lis on obv. The rev side shows the Imperial Orb with three arches and three angles . Jetons are thin!

another
I concur with Moe. that pattern inside what looks like a sheild is the Fleur - de - lis it's a french Quebec emblem, item may have been lost by a Quebec snowbird as they invade Florida in the thousands. this is one of their flags which shows the emblem.

symbol.gif

Very cool coin bill. Hey you have way to many rings and I have way to many railroad spikes. Wanna trade? WOLF

Back
Top Bottom