Lost and found laws/regulations

Sarn

Wasn't sure which forum to post this in....

In australia we have statutory laws where you are meant to hand in lost objects to the police/authorities, and if it goes unclaimed for three months then you are the rightful owner. I have been unable to find the exact legal document that outlines all the details though (ie what happens if its a really old piece whos owner is no longer likely to be alive etc).

Anyway, I presume that most other places have simular laws. In which case do you guys ever report your finds (particularly jewellery)? If so do you hand them in as you find them, or do you wait til you have a pile and then hand them all in at once?

I am not really sure how I should proceed if I manage to find something worthwhile..

The following is a recent case about a second hand suitcase that was purchased. When they took it home they discovered a wad of cash and didn't report it. They were subsequently charged with 'theft by finding' not sure if they have gone to trial or what the outcome of the charge was

http://m.heraldsun.com.au/news/vict...-in-beaconsfield/story-e6frf7kx-1225850406974

There have been some other recent cases in Australia as well.

While I understand the need to try find original owners I think it's unfair to make the finder wait three months and have to post ads trying to find the owner at their own expense. I also think its absurd in the case above where the people purchased the suitcase. As such anything they find in said suitcase should automatically be theirs as well IMO.

Anyway, I won't bother reporting small finds, clad coins and anything less than probably $500 in worth (if i am ever lucky to find anything worth that much). That's not to say that I wouldn't try find the owner on less valuable items if there are distinguishing marks etc

They purchased a used suitcase and were charged for keeping contents the previous owner failed to remove...

:wow:

Might want to avoid thrift shops.

If you were stateside, I'd just suggest a common sense approach. But with you local law as is, I don't really know. Better safe than sorry.

Edit: I read the article and yea, it was a pretty shady move on their part to not report it. My best advice is to report anything of value. Unless you're hitting beaches everyday, I don't think this will really be a big concern.

They purchased a used suitcase and were charged for keeping contents the previous owner failed to remove...

:wow:

Might want to avoid thrift shops.

If you were stateside, I'd just suggest a common sense approach. But with you local law as is, I don't really know. Better safe than sorry.

Edit: I read the article and yea, it was a pretty shady move on their part to not report it. My best advice is to report anything of value. Unless you're hitting beaches everyday, I don't think this will really be a big concern.

Yes that was an exceptional case considering a hundred thousand dollars was involved, what gets me is that they purchased the case (it wasn't just found or picked up off the street). I see it as not really being different to buying a house and later finding some valuable buried in the soil. You own the house therefore what you find left in it, or in the soil is yours.

I will be reporting anything of value that I find, but it's not unheard of for people to hand in items to the police never to be seen again...although aus does tend to be fairly good in that they keep a register of lost items. Anyway it's still a concern. Where do you draw the line? If I find a $50 ring and don't report it can I be charged? Under the strictest sense of the law yes, but would the cops consider it worthwhile doing so. I wonder where the line in the sand sits on this...

Back
Top Bottom