Just Curious

rob.ream258

Elite Member
Just curious, does the MD community ask to gain permission to hunt curb strips and sidewalks? Granted the first XXX feet of turf belongs to the city which normally includes the sidewalks, but do people ever hunt by the curbs? I never go near the nice grass without permission, but here in Florida there are a ton of open lots that are over grown, wild, and no doors to knock on.

I generally only hunt a curb if grass is a bit overgrown, and only spend a few minuts, will ask but not always.

I think though we should ask, since the house owners cut the grass etc.

My best advice is not to get in anyone's way and just move along etc..

Curb strips are an interesting area to hunt. In my town, the property owner, owns it, the city retains the right to use it. Not sure if they can just take it, if the decide to widen a road, or if there is some payout. The duel 'ownership', where the city can come and dig around, spray paint lines, plant flags, or allow others to do the same. The homeowner really doesn't know if you are there in some official capacity, and will seldom show any interest. Those that do, know it's metal detecting, and have always asked if I found anything good. The city, doesn't know if you are there with the homeowner's blessing, or even if you live there. Long as they don't see you with a garden spade, and doing some deep digging, they aren't concerned enough to get involved. I also do the grass medians, without a word said.

Technically, you are suppose to call a phone number, before doing any digging...

It's easy to tell which sections only get the minimal attention (mowed occasionally), and the ones people take care of. I pass on the ones that are maintained, or have utility boxes. I cherry pick, and don't go even 7 inches deep. Try to stay on a section very long. I can go back another time, so no urgency to be thorough. It's a small town, I'm out walking my dog, twice a day. Prefer larger breeds, and I'm kind of tall as well. I'm not exactly some random stranger, even if they don't know my name, they have seen me around. Might have something to do with being accepted.

All utilities must be buried a certain depth. I do not condone digging in someone's right of way at all. However, medians are fair game. Just never dig anywhere near the depth of utilities. :shock::shock::shock:

Back
Top Bottom