San Antonio, TX - Permit Required for Parks

BlackBird8905

Anyone looking to Metal Detect around San Antonio better give this link a look. You will need a permit (Free, I presume) and you can easily email a scanned form into the Parks and Recreation department.

You can only choose up to 20 of the permitted parks from the included list within a 6-month period.

Just thought I'd share this info with any other Texans or Tourists looking to detect around here.

http://www.sanantonio.gov/parksandrec/metaldetecting.aspx

Thanks and happy hunting!

State Parks are a flat out no, no.

Look into county parks in the area. Some times a county park will allow metal detecting while the city wont.

GL & HH

Got a question about the rules.

I don't have any plans to go to San Antonio anytime in the future but I did scan over the rules and I have a question that perhaps you can answer.
The rules say "No digging tools of any kind may be used." Or something on that order. Seems as if they are saying you can use a metal detector to find things but you can't retrieve the items unless they are on top of the ground. If that is the case, what good does it do to detect in the parks? Very few items are going to be on top of the ground. Did I read the rules correctly?:?:

I don't have any plans to go to San Antonio anytime in the future but I did scan over the rules and I have a question that perhaps you can answer.
The rules say "No digging tools of any kind may be used." Or something on that order. Seems as if they are saying you can use a metal detector to find things but you can't retrieve the items unless they are on top of the ground. If that is the case, what good does it do to detect in the parks? Very few items are going to be on top of the ground. Did I read the rules correctly?:?:

Yeah, that is a frustrating part that I forgot to mention. Here was another thread about the no digging tool being mentioned on this forum:

http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=128887

Maybe probing or surface detecting will be the catch. I had an idea to go to the parks that are close to some kind of water supply such as a creek or pond and do detecting around the edge. That way you are not disturbing anything that is found under the water. Worth a try I suppose!

Update: I emailed [email protected] asking to elaborate on the no digging tools. On the Metal Detecting Regulations PDF, at the bottom it shows the sanantoniomdc.com being mentioned. They are a local club that goes out to hunt for fun and children events. If you go to their About Us, you can clearly see some holding "digging tools." :?: I brought this up to Molly in my email. I asked if small hand tools could be used or if making small "plugs" and putting them back was allowed.

Waiting to see if I get a reply. Will update again once I get clarification.

I am interested in the update. We like to vacation in the SA area and I have also inquired about the no digging tools policy. I was basically told that if you can't get to it with your hands you cant have it. Keep us updated !!

Travis County is up by Austin, not San Antonio.

Each county has it’s own set of rules. I know Nueces county parks are okay to metal detected in. Live Oak county doesn’t say any thing about metal detecting in it’s parks.

Oops, just noticed I posted that :roll:

Thanks for the info. I will definitely look into those. HH

Back
Top Bottom