ACE 250 keeps giving me bottle caps

curious1

I have my ace 250 on "coin" mode and it just LOVES to give me bottlecaps. Is that normal?

It also gives me a bunch of nails.

Set it to jewelry mode, it's what I do. Mine hits bottlecaps when they are around as well but I've never had any real issues with bottlecaps because woods/schools I've hunted simply don't have a ton of them in the ground. As for the nails, not sure why it would be hitting iron in coin mode... that does not sound right.

Mine had never hit on a single nail. Bottlecaps are a challenge however.

Sent from my Mobile Command Center (MCC)

bottle caps ring in around qtr,dime on my 350 so I think maybe same with 250,but you have to dig cuz of the coins.i think the bottle caps have a wider bell tone when swinging over it.watch some videos on the ace 250 on you tube and garrett training videos. hope this helps. gl hh:cool:

All just part of the hobby. Many pop tops sound like coins and depending on the size , some iron may too. If the iron is big enough sometimes the discrimination wont filter it out. But you do get better at identifying a certain percentage of these unwanted items over time before digging them.

Bottle Caps

Although this is not a foolproof method to sort bottle caps from coins, it has worked for me in most cases. Slowly swing the coil over the target and at the same time, lift the coil. If the signal continues as you swing and lift, it is most likely a bottle cap or crushed can. From my experience, coins do not sound off above 2 or 3 inches above the ground.
HH
Chuck

One of the probable reasons of this problem is because the discrimination is set too high.

Next time, hunt as usually, but check the found bottlecaps in all metal. Normally, they should read in the iron range.

Then in later hunts, you can check dubious signals by switching from disc to all metal, or search in all metal only, if the area is rather clean.

With the 350 the problem is worse because DD coils are prone to give high ID on rusty items.

HH

Nick

On my 350 (also a bottle cap lover)!!! When I pinpoint~ A coin will drop off sharp, bottle caps tend to lagggggggggg on. If you know what I'm getting at? Good luck

My 250 loved steel caps, that's the only thing I didn't like about it.. If it could tell the difference I would still swing that instead of the ATP I have now...

Even smashed aluminum caps fool my ATP/me sometimes..

<*)))>{

re

I sent my 250 to the jewelry mode and it made a difference. on the nail thing I think the rust puts off a halo effect and it fools it. I've noticed it on my whites also.

I've been pounding my back yard with my Ace 250 and the 9x12 coil. I have a lot of old rusty square nails in my ground and I notice they tend to read as iron when I'm over them, but if I swing near them, not right over them, I get coin hits. It seems like this signal shows up where the nail is pointing, but I can't confirm that. It just seems I dig, nothing is there, but then there is the nail next to my hole and when I pull it out it often comes out point first. Anyone else experience this? :)

If you are really concerned you can ultra-coin shoot and not dig a single tone that ever hits off center or jumps at all.

on my 250 caps and trash in general would bounce a bit, however that same signal can be silver with a piece of trash in the hole OR simply larger jewelry.

Jewelry never hits perfect on my detectors unless its a small ring. the 3 bracelets ive found all rung up VERY funny.

I would say move slower, dig up a few iffy signals every time you hunt, and eventually youll clear the caps and make way for better stuff to be found, all that trash laying around could be 5" over good coins masking it so clear it out and youll be happy you did.

Back
Top Bottom