Is Garrett a good brand?

MargeShrimpson

Forum Supporter
I have an Ace 250 and so far I think it's an ok detector. But I'm planning on getting a submersible detector so I can hit up some sand bars on a fresh water lake. I've heard people saying that Garrett company are crooks and there are much better detectors and the only reason Garrett is so popular is because they do tons of advertising. I was planning on buying an AT pro this spring but I figure I got plenty of time to do research. What's a good recommendation for a submersible detector around $600?

At pro,gold or max are all great machines.If I were in your position,I’d stick with Garrett,,and I’d probably get the AT pro..Customer service is probably the best in the buisness,and a quality metal detector to boot.

What happened to it? Also, I should ask. I plan on having this detector for the rest of my life. I got the ace 250 just to test the waters and see if I liked detecting and I do. So I figure I might as well step it up a level and I hope not to have to buy another detector for a very long time

What happened to it? Also, I should ask. I plan on having this detector for the rest of my life. I got the ace 250 just to test the waters and see if I liked detecting and I do. So I figure I might as well step it up a level and I hope not to have to buy another detector for a very long time

Garrett AT Series are great machines. I will caution you... If you are anything like me, you will always want a new machine. Similar to cars. The newer ones have heated seats and automatic windows!

AT pro is good

AT pro Is not the best machine for salt water but everywhere else is good to go. I use to own an At pro but now I use a different machine based on the type of detecting I am doing that day, none of which is an At pro.

How are Garrett "crooks"? Sounds like the hogwash a guy on reddit is always saying about Garrett. Is that where you heard that?

I have a garrett at pro. I think it is a great detector. I have had mine since September. It seems to be great with everything. I have found 14 rings, some silver coins and tons of clad. It would recommend one.

Garrett makes quality stuff and their customer service rocks! I have an ace 250, AT pro and both black and AT pinpointers and I found a bunch of great stuff with them! I had to send my bro coil (broken ear, likely user fault) and my carrot in for warranty. Both were handled no questions asked.
Truth is if I had never heard of calabash digger or Gary Blackwell I would likely still be swinging my pro full time! :laughing:

I have a garrett at pro. I think it is a great detector. I have had mine since September. It seems to be great with everything. I have found 14 rings, some silver coins and tons of clad. It would recommend one.

Do you water hunt? I was wondering where you found al the gold rings so fast? Location. Lol

Crooks?
I guess all detector manufacturers are then.
Why?
They charge for their merchandise.

Garrett is worthy company.
Others are too.

I've been using an AT Pro for 6 years. Outside of looking at PI machines for salt water the only ones that look like something I would consider enough of an upgrade to tempt me to replace it are a lot more than the money I paid for the pro.

Let me share my experience with the AtPro in Michigan waters...I hope you find this helpful.....

You want to hunt in Michigan lakes Huh? Well...Yes, Marge, you and anybody else considering must avoid the AtPro at all Costs! Everything you have heard about the Garrett Co and specifically about the AtPro is correct! Shyster Company, Texas I believe, (you know what that means)...ElCheapoChapo! Dumping massive dollars into ignorant gringo marketing for an inferior and basically worthless tinkertoy rig...Like Ford...

Shoulda been Obvious to me from first glance, but I bought into the hype!

Tiny little LCD TID screen, washes out in the sunlight and fogs up in the dark,...cheapo S shaft design, heavy and uncomfortable to swing, not ergonomically balanced at all, strenuous to the point of serious tennis elbow injury...cant hunt the dry sand and for sure dont want to take this rig into the water!

When used in Inland Michigan Lake water, the 'special Garrett camlocks' get jammed with silt so bad they are unusable, in about 4hrs....Stupid proprietary headphone and coil plugs makes you a slave to their components...Arm cuff will snap off even! ...Three tones? 'Iron Audio' on or off? Doesnt retain settings upon shut down? Rated to hunt in 10' depths? WTH?

I shoulda known better! FWIW, My stock Garrett blue headphones took a dump once..I called up Garrett and talked to somebody named 'Mary'...I dont know if she is from Bangalore or what, hard to understand what she was saying, possibly from Austin, Brownsville, or Nacogdoches? I Said: 'my phones took a !!!!'...All I know is I had a new set of headphones sitting on my porch in less than 72hrs!...so good job there UPS! America! Hell yeah!

You have heard rightly from your Facebook friends!....Avoid this machine and the Garrett Company in general!...You cant tell a dime from a penny audibly or visual Tiddly a zinc penny from a bottlecap! Pretty much a worthless rig unless you intend to hunt for pulltabs..yeah, it hits the hell outta pulltabs, if thats what you are after, but the AtPro is generally a worthless rig otherwise......

I'd go with a Minelab ExcalII if I were you, proven platform, pedigree, good to 250' depths...Or may I suggest a Tesoro SandShark?...looks good, sounds cool!..."I'm running a Sandshark!" " Good to 250' depths!" How cool is that?....:laughing:

I have an Ace 250 and so far I think it's an ok detector. But I'm planning on getting a submersible detector so I can hit up some sand bars on a fresh water lake. I've heard people saying that Garrett company are crooks and there are much better detectors and the only reason Garrett is so popular is because they do tons of advertising. I was planning on buying an AT pro this spring but I figure I got plenty of time to do research. What's a good recommendation for a submersible detector around $600?

Whites MX Sport is another good option...

How are Garrett "crooks"? Sounds like the hogwash a guy on reddit is always saying about Garrett. Is that where you heard that?

I believe it was on Reddit. Reddit sucks but I've been researching the most I can. I live in Michigan and plan on hitting up the beaches early spring before people get out. I also do a lot of detecting in the southern part of MI as well. And occasionally off the coast of NC. I think I will go with the AT gold since it's only $100 more anyways.

I have not done any water hunting yet. I hunt parks the old fairgrounds. And I work for someone who owns a large property. The rings have been in a part and on an old football field.

I believe it was on Reddit. Reddit sucks but I've been researching the most I can. I live in Michigan and plan on hitting up the beaches early spring before people get out. I also do a lot of detecting in the southern part of MI as well. And occasionally off the coast of NC. I think I will go with the AT gold since it's only $100 more anyways.

The metal detecting subredit is okay, except for that one guy that is always badmouthing Garrett and touting Minelab as the greatest thing ever. He's now polluting NASA-Tom's site with his nonsense. Very annoying fellow.

Back
Top Bottom