I dropped my E-trac in the water :( *UPDATED*

I have an etrac, it has probably a couple of hundred hours on it, mine is doing the same thing, did a soft reset and got it back, called a couple of people at a minelab repair facility and they had never heard of it (funny that the machine has a visible error message and no one seems to know about it). I tried various different battery configs and nothing has stopped it. It still goes down and comes back up (for now) but I received a reply from another site that it is a mother board issue and around $800.00 to fix, so if it is still in warranty I would promptly get it back for warranty repair. This person also had one that finally went down and never came back up.

That really sucks. I would be sick sick sick. Might as well bite the bullet and send back for repairs. Good Luck

If it not under warranty take it apart and clean it well. Wash/submerge all parts with 90% or better isopropyl alcohol this will remove any traces of water and salt/minerals.

Let it dry really well after that.

Never mind I just saw this was a very old post.

If it happens to anyone else, remove the battery and then do this. Just letting is dry after salt water will not correct it, you need to wash it with iso. Rinse away the salts and evaporate water.

used excal don't make the water mistake again.

Yep, Saltwater. It looks like it will be going back to Minelab. Hopefully they will fix it...not sure if the warranty covers accidental water damage. With my luck, probably not. Any suggestions for the cheapest machine capable of handling the wet sand on a salt water beach? I can't go a month or more without detecting.

BTW... What the H3ll happened to Salem Scott?! I thought he was back and then realized this thread was from... 2013!

Aliens me thinks...

R5

BTW... What the H3ll happened to Salem Scott?! I thought he was back and then realized this thread was from... 2013!

Aliens me thinks...

R5

I always get a chuckle when someone revives a 3 year old thread.[emoji13]

Sent from my detector via iPhone

Use DISTILLED water to rinse.

FIRST: REMOVE the battery pack ASAP!

IF you are going to rinse with water...use DISTILLED WATER. Most grocery stores and pharmacies sell it. Tap water is not PURE, even though it is safe to drink, same goes for bottled drinking water. They contain minerals and salts.

AGAIN: USE DISTILLED WATER TO RINSE ELECTRONICS that have been dunked into SALT or FRESH water.

Of course, dry thoroughly before re-installing the battery and energizing.

If it not under warranty take it apart and clean it well. Wash/submerge all parts with 90% or better isopropyl alcohol this will remove any traces of water and salt/minerals.

Let it dry really well after that.

Never mind I just saw this was a very old post.

If it happens to anyone else, remove the battery and then do this. Just letting is dry after salt water will not correct it, you need to wash it with iso. Rinse away the salts and evaporate water.

This.

This was the technique we used on dive boats for the occasional flooded camera back in the days when we had to change rolls of film between dives.

The alcohol displaces the water and then evaporates without leaving residue.

For smaller electronics you can submerge the item in a bowl of uncooked rice for a couple of days. The rice absorbs the moisture. I've seen more than one toilet phone recovered this way. :D

Back
Top Bottom