Buy Used Minelab Sov GT?

WayneC

I need some assistance because I have a chance to pick up a used Minelab Sovereign GT with a Detech 10"X12" SEF coil, rechargeable battery, charger, and the AA battery pack for $500. I've read a lot of reviews and the vast majority of them are 5 star ratings. This would be my very first machine and I would like some help to know what to look for when I meet the seller to check it out. I'll be using it mostly for relic and coin hunting in woods, cellar holes and fields.

Thanks, Wayne

Wayne, welcome to a great hobby. I will say that as much as I love the Sovereign detectors, I even wrote a book about them, I wouldn't recommend one as a first machine, or for the type of hunting you are saying you plan on doing. Those conditions will require a different type of detector. One that is good in iron trash and has a fast recovery between targets. Something that the Sovereign isn't noted for. (Yes there will be some that will refute that statement.)

I think there will be a lot of recommendations coming along shortly from many experienced detectorists on these forums. There are many new, and used, instruments in you price range, and below, that would serve you much better. Especially since this will be your first detector.

Take is slowly, and learn some of the basics first. You may find you don't really like this hobby after all, or you may love it like the majority of members here do. You might find out that the type of hunting you think you want to do is entirely different than what you end up doing. Once you have some experience, it will be easier to determine what kind of features you will want, or need, on a different unit.

Hope this is helpful. I remember the excitement of getting my first detector 44 years ago. Good luck with your choice, and again welcome to the forums...

Those GTs are not easy to get the hang of when dirt digging especially a first machine, I had one for about a year. I would recommend a ATpro or a F5 for what your hunting. Also if you dont know if you will continue with the hobby I would just get a ACE 250 to start for about $175.00 and then you can always upgrade later (also you will have extra money then for you accessories this time. :my2cents:

If I were you I'd get an at gold or an at pro or an f5 for what you're doing and the price range you're around

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I'll go against the grain and say get the Sovereign. It is a super deep machine, and as long as you aren't in areas with hundreds of targets, the slow recovery speed will not effect you. They are pretty simple to use also, if the threshold nulls (goes silent), it is iron, if you get any other beep, you dig it.

$500 is a pretty good deal for a GT with arguably the best coil for the GT.

For reference, I just bought a Sovereign GT with no coil for $450. This will be the 4th Sovereign that I have owned.

Basically, when you meet the seller, first thing is inspect the face of the machine, look for corrosion on the knob/ switch shafts. Second look at the coil's cable, inspect for any cracks in the cable. Inspect the bottom of the coil, it should have a coil cover on it, if it doesn't, inspect the bottom for spots that are worn through. Look over the shaft, the box, and where the box connects to the shaft, look for anything cracking or broken.

Once the physical inspection is done, turn it on, flip disc/all metal switch to disc, , threshold/silent search switch to threshold, turn volume to max, disc and notch to minimum (all the way counter-clockwise), threshold up until you hear a quiet hum, and sensitivity to auto (for testing purposes... when hunting you manually set sensitivity). Then grab a dime, quarter, copper penny, and nickel and toss them on the ground spread apart a few feet and swing over them. You should be able to swing roughly 10" or more on all of those targets and get a beep.

Long as is passes all that, it should be good.

If the machine constantly gives random beeps it could have a bad coil, or you may be too close to power lines.

Last edited:
I agree with Crumble...and if you don't like the GT, you can easily sell it for the $500 you paid. Many of the Sovereigns were used for beach hunting, so as noted...check for sand/dirt in the speaker and switches, check the coil cable carefully looking for cracks and check the coil bottom for separation between the epoxy and outer shell...those are the common issues with the Sov, but other than that they're basically indestructible. In the dirt it's every bit as deep as the FBS machines and loves silver the same.

Thank you Tex, joee, Silver, and Shavnor for your thoughtful comments. I value your opinions and that you know much more than I do about MDing.
Thank you msand for the great Youtube link.
Thanks especially to Crumble and Captain Silver for answering the crux of my question, What should I look for when I inspect this Sov GT?. I don't mind a slow machine because I've never had a fast one and I won't be holding anyone up because I'll most likely be MDing in the woods, parks and fields by myself.
I also don't mind that this machine has the potential to be somewhat complicated because I intend to grow into it. My wife is kind of like that, at first I just had to know how to turn her on, eventually I learned to hear the different tones and knew when to beg forgiveness. :D
I'll let you all know how it goes and what took place on Sunday.

Those GTs are not easy to get the hang of when dirt digging especially a first machine, I had one for about a year. I would recommend a ATpro or a F5 for what your hunting. Also if you dont know if you will continue with the hobby I would just get a ACE 250 to start for about $175.00 and then you can always upgrade later (also you will have extra money then for you accessories this time. :my2cents:

+1 , you can always change as your interest grows
HH

Thank you Tex, joee, Silver, and Shavnor for your thoughtful comments. I value your opinions and that you know much more than I do about MDing.
Thanks especially to Crumble and Captain Silver for answering the crux of my question, What should I look for when I inspect this Sov GT?. I don't mind a slow machine because I've never had a fast one and I won't be holding anyone up because I'll most likely be MDing in the woods, parks and fields by myself.
I also don't mind that this machine has the potential to be somewhat complicated because I intend to grow into it. My wife is kind of like that, at first I just had to know how to turn her on, eventually I learned to hear the different tones and knew when to beg forgiveness. :D
No problem :) if you get the machine I assure you that you won't be disappointed it's still a great machine. Some machines are just better at different things.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I pulled the trigger on the Sov GT today. There are no obvious issues with it, per Crumble and CaptainSilver's tips, that I could detect on the detector (a little pun intended). Switches and knobs are tight. Both battery packs are included, one fully charged and the other with 8 new AA batteries. The bottom of the 10"x12" SEF coil looks smooth with no blems. The unit powered on and I swung it over a few coins and all went well. The seller threw in a Wilcox stainless steel digger and a Minelab hip pack to make it lighter to swing.
When I got home I couldn't wait to try it out in my yard. The first target was a tiny 1963 Corvette. The second was (I think) a wood stove at 12 inches. I only unearthed a corner of it. Then a few nails, a piece of can slaw, a matchbook fire engine and a cell phone. Interesting finds for my first dig with this detector.
I almost backed out of the deal because, admittedly, this MD may not be the the best unit for some of the searching I'll be doing, but I figure eventually I'll get another to focus on the areas this one may not excel in.
Thanks TexHunter, Shavnor, and everyone else for your helpful comments.

Last edited:

I started with the 250 and now have 9 machines. My latest buy was a Sovereign. I mostly use my 2 ATPs. However Silverfishin is absolutely right. The reason so many machines are for sale is too many people jumped into the hobby and immediately jumped out. It's not simply swinging a machine and digging up gold. It's hours and hours of reading, watching videos and then practicing. It's expensive because the machine is only part of the expense. I only buy used equipment and like I said there's plenty of deals out there. Best to buy a good starter like the 250 and see if you like it. Then ease into better machines.

Glad to help. Gotta pay it forward

Just purchased a GT that had been used 4 times and looked and works like new. Straight shaft and 10" coil. I'm a happy man. I've been out twice the first I found a pocket watch and the second a diamond ring.

Congrats on your new gt! And on the ring!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom