15" x 12" Excelerator SEF Butterfly Search Coil review (Tesoro version)

Topdecker

Forum Supporter
I picked up a 15"x12" SEF butterfly search coil a few months ago and have used it on a number of hunting opportunities. I have the Tesoro version and I am using it primarily with a Deleon, but also like it on a Silver umax.

This coil provides an awesome amount of search coverage. On coin sized targets, I feel like it can hit comfortably down to about 8" while only needing about a 6" overlap per swing. As a result, this coil is very effective when searching large areas with little trash while maintaining excellent depth. With each swing covering 9 or 10 inches, soccer fields and other huge green spars just melt away.

There are a couple of downside to the 15"x12" SEF. First, it is a fairly heavy coil. It is a good mate for Tesoro products since they are lightweight to begin with, but this coil will get after you shoulder if you use it long enough.

As is true with any DD coil, target ID is not as accurate. You can expect to recover a lot more steel bottle caps as a result.

My biggest complaint is that the search pattern is irregular. My mental image of the search pattern is that of a an over-inflated football. It is shallow at the edges of the coil and quickly bulges out to max depth. Because of this, deeper targets can be up 2 or 3 inches towards the center of the coil when using toe/heel pin pointing methods.

All in all it is a useful tool that I am glad to have available to me. It is very easy to step into a pasture and feel intimidated by the sea of green. A coil like this helps you to realize success when ground coverage is the key element towards being successful.

Back
Top Bottom