War memorial? Newbie needs help.

Drbottlecap10

Hey guys,

I'm pretty new to this and I'm trying to look into a new spot that I have come across that could be very cool. It is a small park-square type area in a town. In the 1850s, there was a school constructed there and I think it could be a cool spot to MD. But I have discovered that the area has now been turned into a war memorial for those who have fallen in all wars. It is not anything crazy extravagant, really just a few flags and a nice area in the middle that I'm sure has some commemorative items near the benches. There looks to be plenty of grassy area to MD while staying away from the actual memorial, so if stay away from that, should I be alright? Or is this not a good idea?

Also, I've been reading and I'm almost positive this is publicly owned land. And from what I have read, if it is publicly owned, has no fences, and is not part of a national or state park, it is pretty much free game. Is this correct? Thanks!

I see you are just a few hours south of me. In fact, my in-laws are coming to visit from Perry tomorrow. :) I'll look you up next time I'm down there as there are many sites in that area I'd like to have an opportunity to hunt.

As far as your question is concerned, the biggest thing for you to find out is exactly who owns the property. Just because it might be public property doesn't automatically give you a right to hunt it. In GA, for example, state parks are off limits to metal detecting. You will have better luck in other jurisdictions like county and city property but you will have to look up the county or city's ordinances (depending on who owns it) to see if they have any restrictions against detecting. If you find out who owns it and don't see anything in the ordinances, then you're probably okay. It might be smart to bring along a copy of the ordinances on your hunt. That way if someone gives you some grief, you can always refer to it. I would certainly stay a good distance away from the memorial itself and try not to draw attention to yourself. Early morning from park opening time 'til 9:00am or so should keep you away from those that may want to challenge you. Making sure to leave no trace of you even being there digging is most important, especially if you ever intend to return. The problem you are dealing with is that if you draw a lot of attention around a place like that, you are sure to get some complaints even though you are doing nothing wrong. People seeing evidence of digging will only give the council an excuse to add a prohibition against metal detecting in future ordinances. Just some things to think about.

.... But I have discovered that the area has now been turned into a war memorial for those who have fallen in all wars. It is not anything crazy extravagant, really just a few flags and a nice area in the middle that I'm sure has some commemorative items near the benches. ....

City, state, & county, parks with "war memorials" , are a dime a dozen. Practically any sizable city will invariably have their war memorial (or corner for plaques, etc...) parks. So the mere presence of such a plaque, or park by-that-name, does not in-itself mean "no detecting". Barring if it is some actual battle site, or cemetary, they are just routine parks.

So your question then, is more for parks-in-general. Thus as Kmad515 says, if there is no rules saying "no metal detecting", then presto, it's not dis-allowed . And also as he says: That's not to stop someone from griping for other reasons. Ie.: alter, dig, deface, etc.... (Let's face it: detecting has connotations, haha). So like all parks, you go at low traffic times so as not to attract lookie-lou gripers.

As for finding out if there were some specific ordinance in your city's park's codes: You look it up for yourself. Like is your city's codes, charter, ordinances, etc... on-line ? Or behind the counter in binder form at city hall ? Etc... As opposed to asking someone "can I detect?", lest it be answered in a whimsical arbitrary way, with no actual true forbiddance.

Humm. I would think it is ok, not being a protected site, cemetery, or private property. Probably a good idea to ask the people who maintain the property. Let them know you will stay clear of the memorial and why you chose the site, the old school was there.

I wouldn't do it personally. Seems disrespectful to detect there if it is designated as a memorial. You might encounter some mad military members.

Do what you feel best, just my opinions.:cool:

Back
Top Bottom