Permission Tips to Help You Get MORE Permissions

NectarDetector

Forum Supporter
I recently got permission at an old church (today). I am super excited about it, and can't wait to see what I can uncover there.

I told my business partner, Clark Rickman of Detecting365 about the permission and he shared with me some tips about how to hunt it and how to go about using this one permission to gain more permissions.

I figured I would share his tips with you in case you didn't know these:

"Consider taking your time and overlap slow swings. '

If you find the church has been heavily hunted, I’ve found a lot of silver near the road in front of a church, right across the road from the church, and extremely close to the building and any paved areas.

Also have hit the jackpot by asking to hunt the parsonage if it is near the church. These seem to be commonly overlooked.

Also, when you get good permission like that, follow up and ask for referrals.

Sometimes a guy like that will know the nice old ladies that go to that church - the ones with the super old homes and land.

My latest breakthrough has been all about referrals. Door knocking is painful and I can usually turn one “Yes” into multiple “Yes’s”.

At the end of the session after I show the owner what I found, I might give him or her a couple of bullets (or a bottle of wine if I found something awesome) and ask about the neighbors: Who I should ask and who I shouldn’t ask (this is useful to and saves grief).

I usually receive introductions and can drop the property owners name to the next. Sometimes the property owner calls or texts another one and sets it up for me! And best of all, often these referrals have been crazy properties that I would have been to shy to approach!"

Hope that gave you a couple ideas on how to approach turning one permission into many.

-Rob

Some good ideas and advice. I know of some old churches in some small towns, how or what is your method for obtaining permission to hunt an old church??

I had a friend that was in Real Estate sales for over 30 yrs. He was extremely sucessfull. He built networks of people by joining all the voluntary organizations in town. Jacees, Quanus, and allways joined anything the church was doing. He rarely made less than 200k per yr. If he was a detectorists he'd of been full of sites.

Some good ideas and advice. I know of some old churches in some small towns, how or what is your method for obtaining permission to hunt an old church??

Contact the owner or pastor and ask him. I have abt 75% success rate that way.

County GIS website will tell you who owns the property. Then sometimes use whitepages.com to find their contact information.

Thank you for the tips very much. I sure will put your advice to good use.

If you look in member links, you'll see a recent post where I share a link to several articles related to getting permission in hopes of helping you land a new killer site. :)

If you look in member links, you'll see a recent post where I share a link to several articles related to getting permission in hopes of helping you land a new killer site. :)

I'll have to read up on them. My town has been around from at least the early 1800's. I would like to hit some of the houses in town that have been there from the 1800's. Most of the ones right in the center of town have very small yards but still may be good for some old coins.

Great Tips!

We live in an area with lots of old homes, churches & other buildings. There are also many nearby towns that once had much larger populations and numerous abandoned homesites along older roads. I guess we need to start building a list of all these promising locations!

Thanks for sharing!

You're welcome

I asked at an 1900 old home in a nearby town...

Answer: Sorry, the college archaeological society is interested in it and I dont want you to remove anything...

My Thoughts

" Yeah the archaeological society will really be able to paint a picture of the property from all those nails, pop tabs, and a few coins here and there."

I mean, it isn't like the property has historical significance to the point that an archaeological dig is in order... If he was worried about my diggin, just wait til they get done buddy!

Oh well, no tips are fool proof, there's still always a 50-50 chance on a yes, I just came up short this time...onwards and upwards

You should've looked at him incredulously and replied in shock "You're going to let a college archeological team dig the site!? Wow! That's pretty brave. Have you ever heard the term eminent domain?" Would have loved to see his reaction to that. :)

You're welcome

I asked at an 1900 old home in a nearby town...

Answer: Sorry, the college archaeological society is interested in it and I dont want you to remove anything...

My Thoughts

" Yeah the archaeological society will really be able to paint a picture of the property from all those nails, pop tabs, and a few coins here and there."

I mean, it isn't like the property has historical significance to the point that an archaeological dig is in order... If he was worried about my diggin, just wait til they get done buddy!

Oh well, no tips are fool proof, there's still always a 50-50 chance on a yes, I just came up short this time...onwards and upwards

I have some local old industrial sites that are closed down in my area. I'm not sure what the grounds will produce but I want to try for permission. I knowing I may get turned down do to the risk of me hurting myself and them getting hit with a lawsuit. That's not how I do things. I'm going to start working on some legal document that they can sign to protect them in hopes of getting permission. I can them made up threw my work threw the legal department. I would also like to come up with one for residential permissions. They may be more willing to give permission. Maybe a short document explaining what I intend to do and that I'm responsible for any damage caused by detecting. I just started on this so there has been very little thought put into it at this time. I welcome input on this.

Back
Top Bottom