Fisher F2 depth indicator question

njemt

Well after going hunting like 4 or 5 times I decided to upgrade and got a slightly used F2 for $130 and going over the manual online its a major upgrade from my Quicksilver. The manual says that the depth indicator measures in inches and the LCD screen has 3 boxes for depth. How many inches is each box on the LCD screen?

Thanks

Well after going hunting like 4 or 5 times I decided to upgrade and got a slightly used F2 for $130 and going over the manual online its a major upgrade from my Quicksilver. The manual says that the depth indicator measures in inches and the LCD screen has 3 boxes for depth. How many inches is each box on the LCD screen?

Thanks

1-2

1-2, but mine is usually way off.
The best indicator for coin sized objects would be your pinpointer button and the numbers you see on the screen when using it and scraping the coil on the ground.

1-3" even those numbers could still be off by an inch or so, on mine 4" and past those pinpoint numbers get pretty accurate.

The only thing I use those depth bars for is to judge trash.
If they jump too much usually trash.
Try to get all targets centered under the middle of the coil when swinging.
Targets, even good targets under other parts of that coil could jump pretty good.
If you can do this and if you still get real jumpy numbers, (my rule is more than 2), AND those depth bars jump also this has been trash for me about 99.9999% of the time.
Actually, more like 100% of the time...and I have dug thousands upon thousands of targets learning this.

Thanks

My soil I get around 3 inches per bar. Don't put much faith in the jumping depth bar being a trash target. That's misinformation because too many factors come into play like target size...target orientation in the ground...or multiple targets in sqme hole.

Depth bar tellls you nothing about a targets quality or kind.

It is a DEPTH BAR not a target id bar so even if you have dug 1000 targets and left 1000 more there is No Way a person can say a jumping depth bar is 100% of the time trash.

That's nonsense...ane I've proven it time and again in tbe field.

NO guy on this forum can tell you 100% of the time what a target is before digging it no matter how many times he recycles the misinformation!

My soil I get around 3 inches per bar. Don't put much faith in the jumping depth bar being a trash target. That's misinformation because too many factors come into play like target size...target orientation in the ground...or multiple targets in sqme hole.

Depth bar tellls you nothing about a targets quality or kind.

It is a DEPTH BAR not a target id bar so even if you have dug 1000 targets and left 1000 more there is No Way a person can say a jumping depth bar is 100% of the time trash.

That's nonsense...ane I've proven it time and again in tbe field.

NO guy on this forum can tell you 100% of the time what a target is before digging it no matter how many times he recycles the misinformation!

Good opinion but mine differs....and I have proven that to myself on the many thousands of targets I have dug good and bad.
A jumping depth bar maybe not trash 100% of the time, especially on the deep ones.
On all shallow targets 6 or 7" or less a jumping depth bar and jumping numbers more than two have been trash for me every time...so far.

Target size, target orientation in the ground or multiple targets in same hole...I have come across all these situations more times than I can count and for me this still holds true.

I also work to get every target under the center of the coil every time, no matter which concentric coil I am using.
I have never used a DD coil on the F2 so I have no idea about how that one behaves.
On the concentrics, if the target isn't centered you could get more jumpy behavior.

Yeah normally 2-3in per bar. Keep in mind it's only calibrated for coin size targets so targets larger and smaller will throw off the reading anyway. I wouldn't rely on it too much.

I don't know how a depth indicator can help ID trash vs good target either.

LOL Me either, I wouldn't have said anything, but some members believe everything he says, and not everything he preaches is even true! He thinks he is THE master of the F2, but being a legend in your own mind doesn't make it so.

He proved the point in this post by saying 100% of the time if the depth bar jumps and numbers jump then it is junk... If anyone truly believes that drivel, I feel for them.

As stated, it's a depth bar, it tells you nothing of metal identification. Nothing.....

LOL Me either, I wouldn't have said anything, but some members believe everything he says, and not everything he preaches is even true! He thinks he is THE master of the F2, but being a legend in your own mind doesn't make it so.

He proved the point in this post by saying 100% of the time if the depth bar jumps and numbers jump then it is junk... If anyone truly believes that drivel, I feel for them.

As stated, it's a depth bar, it tells you nothing of metal identification. Nothing.....

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

I never said I was a master of anything.
Others have have mentioned that word, I never did.
You can never completely master anything, there is always more to learn.

What I have said is I am very good at noticing what happens out in the field, and with about 1000 hours and literally thousands of targets dug up I write about the behavior I have seen...and have always stated this is what happens, FOR ME.
Others might or might not see some of the behavior I have, but others might not hunt in the same soil, swing over targets or examine all targets exactly the same way I do either.
In two completely different areas of the country in two totally different soil types this is exactly the behavior I have seen when I swing the F2.

If you don't believe what I have seen in the behavior of that depth bar, I won't loose much sleep over it...none, actually.
Close minded types like you will never learn, anyway, not that I pass on this information for types like you.

You have your opinion, I have mine, and it is still my opinion that within 6" or so, using all the data I have gathered and observed, 100% of the the time when the numbers jump more than 2 and the depth bar jumps along with it those targets have been trash where good targets have never acted this way.
Again FOR ME!
Plenty have corresponded with me in PM's and have said they have seen this same behavior and thanked me for alerting them to it, but you wouldn't know about any of that, would you?
I guess there are more crazy people around here than anyone would ever suspect, and way more hunters here that you should "feel" for.

Please don't tell me this depth bar behavior is not true because I don't recall you ever being with me on any of my hunts or have been standing next to me looking at my screen when swinging over targets and see what I do in the behavior of the depth bar, exactly how it acts and then dug up the target after.
Not one.

Simple.
Learn the F2 language as well as I have and those depth bars will tell you about more than just depth if you really notice h o w they behave.

Looking for a technical explanation, not opinions based solely on empirical data. Maybe someone with knowledge of electronics/electrical theory can provide some insight. Not trying to argue with you, but the "language" of the machine is a little vague, wouldn't you agree?

Looking for a technical explanation, not opinions based solely on empirical data. Maybe someone with knowledge of electronics/electrical theory can provide some insight. Not trying to argue with you, but the "language" of the machine is a little vague, wouldn't you agree?

I guess after almost 5 years with an F2, I don't know the language?

I guess I don't know what a depth bar does either?:laughing::laughing::laughing:

Ever notice no one else has ever said the depth bar on the Fisher F2 indicates a bad target? Not sonsors, not other F2 users, not Fisher in their manuals...

Opinions are fine Digger, but when you start preaching them to new members as FACTS that is where the issue arises.:yes:

The F2 is the simplest machine out there! Learning it's language is simple...simple...simple... it's nothing special since there is 4 tones to know, and maybe some nuances to those tones, but still a monkey could learn the F2 in about 100 hours!

Regardless if they have 10,000 hours, the DEPTH bar will always indicate DEPTH...other wise Fisher would include in their manuals that the DEPTH BAR is for TARGET ID...

Wonder why they didn't just make a depth bar instead of target IDs? Because the DEPTH bar has NOTHING to do with an object type or kind.

When you tell new members something that isn't even remotely true, you are then doing the exact opposite of what you are trying to accomplish... you are then doing them a DISservice!:yes:

Depth bar jumping has NO FACTUAL basis on a targets kind, nor can they then leave the target 99.999% of the time, OR 100% of the time, because you are telling them W R O N G no matter how many rolling smilies you post you are still WRONG.

Your F2 doesn't perform THAT much different than the other MILLIONS of F2 sold, and a depth bar indicates depth...regardless of pictures you post, regardless of what you say works for YOU, you are still spreading misinformation!:yes:

I've tested your theories, both jumpy numbers... You are WRONG...more than 5 times I have had numbers jump from 00, 68,72,78,99,00,77, etc...you say to leave it.. it's 100% of the time junk...WRONG.... that time it was a nice half dollar! :shock:

Another time, jumpy numbers all over the place with the F2, YOU say leave it because you KNOW it's junk, and we shiould leave it to according to what you spread as facts... well, it was a quarter spill of 5 quarters! :shock:

Seen it with other targets too... jumpy numbers do not mean its junk! No matter how many times you say it does, it does NOT!:roll:

Jumpy depth bar can be due to target orientation in the ground. :cool:That is why we are taught to turn our bodies 90 degrees to see if the target clears up!

There could be multiple targets in the hole. One above the other therefore you are going to get a jumpy depth bar.

The curvature of the ground, can cause jumpy numbers because it takes longer for the signal to get back to the coil from the low spots! ;)

The distace you hold your coil while swinging can also make a depth bar jump.:D

NONE of those examples mean that it is a junk target....so where you get your 99.999% - 100% of the time junk is beyond me!:no:

If you are going to present yourself as an authority on something, you need to make sure you are right about what you teach...and I have shown 2 examples already about how you are wrong with your theories that you keep spreading as gospel!

You are not doing the new people any favors by starting them off with misinformation! I'm sure that isn't what you're trying to do, even if it is what you're doing.:grin:

When you can show some factual data on how a jumping depth bar indicates a junk target, we're all waiting to see that... although I am an old man, so I don't have long to wait....so don't give opinions, give some facts....

OK <<<gratuitous insult deleted by ADMIN>>>...I knew Digger wasn't going to say it but I will
I have an F2 and if you have used one for any length of time you would have noticed on trash the depth bar will jump around like crazy... BTW have fun digging trash....In MY opinion Digger is the master of the F2...:realitycheck::censored::spaman:

F2 Knowledge = srs business.

I for one have learned tons from Digger and I thank him for that.

OK <<<gratuitous insult deleted by ADMIN>>>...I knew Digger wasn't going to say it but I will
I have an F2 and if you have used one for any length of time you would have noticed on trash the depth bar will jump around like crazy... BTW have fun digging trash....In MY opinion Digger is the master of the F2...:realitycheck::censored::spaman:

Fine if you have to revert to name calling, the rest of what you say is meaningless. :cool:

Did you have something to worthwhile to add or did you just want to ride his his coat tails all the way to failure?

You can either learn, or keep doing what you've been taught, even if it's incorrect with no factual data to support it.

I wonder why NO sponsors will corroborate this theory? Because they too know it's BS...but they aren't going to say that to protect their image, but you won't hear any of them repeat this BS jumpy depth bar = junk 100% of the time...

You can learn all kinds of ways, one of which is the wrong way...so be it, you don't know any better, and that was my point about him spreading misinformation.

Point me to one source other than digger that states a jumpy depth bar means trash. I'll wait, as I have been... That logic makes entirely no sense, and has no data to back it up other than "it works for me":roll:

You have fun digging trash too, and keep following his advice so the rest of us can come behind you and dig those targets that you are so sure is trash...

The rest of us will come through and find what you've missed!

Now that I think of it Digger, heck yeah keep telling people that, it leaves more good stuff for the rest of us.

Like I said, you can learn all kinds of ways, one of which is the wrong way.

You called me an idiot, yet I tried to educate you and you refuse to listen. Who's the idiot now? I've proven his theories wrong time and again in the field, I know what I am talking about.

Think I'll shoot some video to prove my points, but you'd probably deny the results anyway!!!

Oh, and it isn't hard to master a friggin beginner detector my friend, if it is, maybe you're the idiot?

All the way to failure?

Well, last year using the F2 I had my best year ever and I don't hunt every day...far from it.
Found over $350 in clad, silver coins and relics, even though I wasn't looking for any of that, silver jewelry and the one target I actually was looking for gold times 12.
10 of those gold targets were found by the F2.
All year long I pretty much stayed to my rules and dug signals that I could get down to no more than a 2 number jump, and depth bars that stayed stable.
I might have dug a few that did not fit these peramiters, mostly because they just sounded good, but those were still trash every time and I can count how many times I did that on the fingers of both my hands.
This did not include a couple of extremely trashy basketball court sites where I actually did dig everything because masking is such a problem at sites like these.

You all can say what you want, pull out any figures you want, come up with any theories you want and believe what you want because to me it just doesn't matter.
I know how the F2 works and more importantly how it works when it is in my hands, what happens when it swings over most trash looking at the VDI numbers and the depth bar and that is all I really care about.

If using my theories and opinions and methods hunting with the F2 makes me a failure, why don't we just start a poll and see how many here would choose to be a failure just like me? :lol:

F2 Knowledge = srs business.

I for one have learned tons from Digger and I thank him for that.

im going with DIGGER27.

Thanks, thanks and thanks!

Back
Top Bottom