AT Pro custom settings or just a thread to talk about the AT Pro

popatop

What settings do you use on your AT Pro? Where do you use these settings and what made you choose these settings?

It really does depend on the hunting conditions.
This past weekend, I got into so much trash, I had to back off the sensitivity, increase iron disc to 25 and turn off everything below 70.
Normally I hunt in PRO zero with iron disc at 10-15, sensitivity one notch below max, and 40 and 45 notched out.
If I am finding too many zincolns, I will notch out from 70 down lately.

If its a clean area then Pro Zero and bring the iron descrim up to about 25. When I get to a really trashy area and am just looking for coins then I either hit Pro Coin mode or if am lazy then I will notch out all below 80 and just cherry pick the area and come back later for the rest.

For a normal area though when coin shooting or looking for rings its pro custom, iron descrim at like 33, Auto GB, and senstivity as high I can without to much falsing.

All depends on how I am feeling that day, and what I have been finding. I try to stay in pro zero as much as I can but sometime you hit so many pulltabs and stuff you just need a break from them so I will switch it up.

My typical setting on my AT-Pro is: Pro Zero, Disc 36, Iron Audio OFF, Sens FULL and GB AUTO. Of course I will tweak any of these settings depending upon conditions. This set up is my baseline where I expect everything to work properly. I also vary my swing speed at times with interesting results. GL and HH. Matt

Thanks for all the useful info guys, I still havn't got much time on my machine yet but did manage to get out for the evening this past Saturday and did play with the settings some and ended up on pro zero a couple of bars from max on the sensitivity iron disc i believe was at or around 30 and everything below 40 notched out, I found these setting to work well for my newbie ears and my coin count did come up even though i do realize at those settings i may have missed some nicer targets.

I'm about two months in with my new AT Pro. I run pro zero all the time, and wide open. I will bring down the sensitivity down one notch, and auto ground balance on new locations. I personally like hearing everything the machine is telling me about a given target. I've learned to appreciate those nickel/ pull tab tones... And have been rewarded with gold for doing so. Good luck.

What settings do you use on your AT Pro? Where do you use these settings and what made you choose these settings?

Great question here for the more experienced hunter, you are an learner. What does "experiment with your machine" tell you if this ever has been given to you as advice? Why would I want to experiment with my AT Pro? Am I a Beta tester? They "why" questions and the "where" questions are the toughies. Add to it the "what" question and let's get it on. Don't forget about the coil configuration and coil size to the whys, wheres and whats. Results is the final test. (all answers can be backed by documented finds...or not)

I'm talking here about the little things like; What is the primary metal you are wanting to find? What type of hunting do you do? Where do you hunt? If I'm searching for for gold jewelry, would the coil selection, settings, adjustments and ground balance methods I use and the coil I use be the same one you use for hunting deep silver? Why not? The sites I select and the sites you select are different...use the same coil? Why? These are a small sample of those whys, whats and wheres. Those why questions appear to be the stoppers...those are the ones most times than not are either unanswered or ignored. You sometimes must do the research and find the answers for yourself. You, my friend are going in the right direction. Don't allow anyone stop you from finding and knowing those answers. You are going to be a very productive detectorist. The "whys" are the powerful ones and is the key. Good success. HH

I just learned an important lesson with mine. Really trashy sites.....turn down the sensitivity to just one or two bars. The coils are very sensitive on the sides and pick up targets not under the coil but to the side of it if they are relatively shallow and this causes a lot of extra noise. Hunting a trashy area at my fairground with the setting higher was driving me nuts. I turned the sensitivity down to 2 and it quieted right down while i still seemed to get nearly the same depth tho i may have lost a little.

I have noticed that as well. I forgot my wad down 4 notches from full and still got a nickle down at least 6 to 7 inches loud and clear. Just seems like it eliminates the smaller targets more. Like you said im positive some depth os lost esp on smaller things but we have a park that I have to do that too. Pull tabs and gum wrappers are EVERYWHERE!

Sent from a hidden menu within my AT Pro

Great question here for the more experienced hunter, you are an learner. What does "experiment with your machine" tell you if this ever has been given to you as advice? Why would I want to experiment with my AT Pro? Am I a Beta tester? They "why" questions and the "where" questions are the toughies. Add to it the "what" question and let's get it on. Don't forget about the coil configuration and coil size to the whys, wheres and whats. Results is the final test. (all answers can be backed by documented finds...or not)

I'm talking here about the little things like; What is the primary metal you are wanting to find? What type of hunting do you do? Where do you hunt? If I'm searching for for gold jewelry, would the coil selection, settings, adjustments and ground balance methods I use and the coil I use be the same one you use for hunting deep silver? Why not? The sites I select and the sites you select are different...use the same coil? Why? These are a small sample of those whys, whats and wheres. Those why questions appear to be the stoppers...those are the ones most times than not are either unanswered or ignored. You sometimes must do the research and find the answers for yourself. You, my friend are going in the right direction. Don't allow anyone stop you from finding and knowing those answers. You are going to be a very productive detectorist. The "whys" are the powerful ones and is the key. Good success. HH

My idea behind this thread was just simply a place to share and a place people can come for a reference such as when they are searching for jewelry, silver , relics etc or maybe just to compare notes or even just some friendly conversation.

Thanks to everybody that has contributed to this thread and i hope to see many more posts here.

Asking for someone else's settings is pretty much the same as saying "I don't need any adjustment on my detector" In short it is ridiculous.
There is one simple rule of thumb, run your detector as hot as possible for the location you are in at the time.

For me it is very simple, wide open...unless there is just too much noise, and I don't mind a quite a bit, in which case I will turn down sens, a bit, or there is just too many "junk" targets. So again it is very simple, as wide open as "you" can stand at "any" particular site. And that is the way to run any MD.

Example of too many targets is a local drive-in has about 10 pull tab signals in every square foot of space. Obviously that can get on ones nerves, and I (personally) wouldn't be preparred to dig for nickles or gold rings in that particular situation.

I like Iron audio on as I often do old house sites, so I like to know where the nails are, and I guess why I'm not a tesoro fan (anymore). I like low to none DISC so I know where everything is, but choose by sound to ignore most of it.

Good Luck with AT Pro, a very good machine, but Just in case if you don't have the 5 X 8 coil yet ? get it for in trashy sites it is worth more than the machine itself. I guarantee it. My 5 X 8 stays on all the time.

Yep . Expecting to hunt with the same settings at every site and every condition will cost you in the long run if not in finds then atleast in headaches and sanity. You have to be able to taylor your machine to the differences in location. Wide open ALL the time can cause you more frustration than its worth. Check how close you can swing your coil to a steel pole or fence with your coil before it sets the detector off. Mine sounds off at 12 to 15 inches away sometimes seemingly more , with sensitivity turned two nothches down from wide open.. ...thats off the side of the coil. If you are picking up targets that far away off the side of the coil then you will also pick up many targets in the ground as well out away from the coil some distance , meaning you are likely hearing things not even under the coil if in a realatvely trashy or target rich location. This will just confuse you and make your target id less accurate...bouncy number readings ;) and high tones with low numbers and vice versa. By significantly reducing the sensitivity you reduce this problem. But it depends on your site , i run it wide open when the site is not so thick with targets and picking up objects not even under the coil is a lot less of a problem.

One thing that i have noticed is that this machine really likes moist soil, A buddy and i was hunting a park last Saturday evening and when i would happen across a low spot in the grass where the grass was nice and green ( Things just starting to green up here) That the tones were much more pronounced, sharper and cleaner.

I would love to hear from Isaac on this subject...

That guy has been hammering some killer digs...

I know Irons and I run ours the same.. Irons really gets some nice gold for sure...

<*)))>{

Im seeing what i believe to be a possible design flaw in the coils. Its not really noticable on an average hunt unless you try to get close to steel poles or fences , but when there is a huge amount of relatively shallow targets scattered really close together i really believe the detector is getting plenty of interference from targets out past the radius of the coil itself when sensitivity is high. Thats strange considering the way double D coils are supposed to operate , focussing the signal into a wedge under the center. They do work great but they shouldnt be so sensitive off the sides.

Though i am sending mine back to garrett for warranty work but its not a coil issue just a high pitched whine coming from the electronics.

One thing that i have noticed is that this machine really likes moist soil, A buddy and i was hunting a park last Saturday evening and when i would happen across a low spot in the grass where the grass was nice and green ( Things just starting to green up here) That the tones were much more pronounced, sharper and cleaner.

I have noticed that too. I think its helped me find some of the really deep quarters ive been digging at around 12" or better.

Im seeing what i believe to be a possible design flaw in the coils. Its not really noticable on an average hunt unless you try to get close to steel poles or fences , but when there is a huge amount of relatively shallow targets scattered really close together i really believe the detector is getting plenty of interference from targets out past the radius of the coil itself when sensitivity is high. Thats strange considering the way double D coils are supposed to operate , focussing the signal into a wedge under the center. They do work great but they shouldnt be so sensitive off the sides.

Though i am sending mine back to garrett for warranty work but its not a coil issue just a high pitched whine coming from the electronics.

I think most MDs are like that, as far as steel poles, fences, and cars...

Also I think my ATP, if it is really, really quiet, and I'm indoors, will have a high pitched "hum", a frequency so high, I don't think most adults could hear it...

<*)))>{

I think most MDs are like that, as far as steel poles, fences, and cars...

Also I think my ATP, if it is really, really quiet, and I'm indoors, will have a high pitched "hum", a frequency so high, I don't think most adults could hear it...

<*)))>{

The hum or whine mine is making is sometimes that quiet but can be kinda loud at other times and either stops or changes pitch if i tap it with a finger :lol:

I sent it in to garrett today so that ruins detecting for a while , not sure i could stand using the ace 250 anymore since i know how much it misses.

I cant say I have noticed a hum to speak of but do on occasion get the tones coming out to sound almost echoed. Or like two different speakers are making a slightly off time or off key beep. A simply turning off and back on corrects it but doesnt happen every hunt. Only 2 or 3 hunts I have had this happen on with both external speaker and headphones so its not the speaker on the machine.

Sent from a hidden menu within my AT Pro

Back
Top Bottom