• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Tried The TRX

Martin_V3i

Elite Member
Ok I admit that I am not good about reading directions, but my experience today with the TRX I borrowed from a good friend wasn't positive. It was chattery as heck, and it wasn't near the proximinity KING like the Garretts, plus it just didn't SEE and LOCATE the target near as fast as the Propointer.

It's an early test, and I will do more later on, but if this is what Whites has put out for the competition...it needs a lot of help. Like I said, I tried using it basically just like the Garretts and I didn't try running more than factory settings, which BTW has been touted as a tuned up Propointer mode.

This PPr so far is just a bit too much complicated for my style, and if the chattery operation remains in any fashion at all???, I will not be impressed at all with this instrument. martin

Ok I admit that I am not good about reading directions, but my experience today with the TRX I borrowed from a good friend wasn't positive. It was chattery as heck, and it wasn't near the proximinity KING like the Garretts, plus it just didn't SEE and LOCATE the target near as fast as the Propointer.

It's an early test, and I will do more later on, but if this is what Whites has put out for the competition...it needs a lot of help. Like I said, I tried using it basically just like the Garretts and I didn't try running more than factory settings, which BTW has been touted as a tuned up Propointer mode.

This PPr so far is just a bit too much complicated for my style, and if the chattery operation remains in any fashion at all???, I will not be impressed at all with this instrument. martin

Sometimes you gota read the instructions to get the most of technology.. First thing it says is turn on TRX, place tip on ground away form target tap switch. This is to ground balance... then there is how to actually pin point with it, using the ratchet feature.. it is only 2 pages.. You won't really like it if you don't understand how to use it.. it is not a Pro Pointer.

Sometimes you gota read the instructions to get the most of technology.. First thing it says is turn on TRX, place tip on ground away form target tap switch. This is to ground balance... then there is how to actually pin point with it, using the ratchet feature.. it is only 2 pages.. You won't really like it if you don't understand how to use it.. it is not a Pro Pointer.

Thinking this much is what you never have to do with the Garretts. Once I traded back to my Propointer, targets just lit up fast and without doubts, without having to intricately focus the "flashlight beam" of the TRX. I'm just sayin'...

If you didn't use it correctly then I can see why you didn't like it. You better stick with the Garrett. But I found the new TRX to be quite a bit better than the Garrett on my first couple hunts. The only question is does it have the ability to last a season? My Garrett units certainly did not.

When you need instructions to operate something as simple as a pin pointer,then the manufacturer needs to rethink what they have created other than something that's suppose to be simple but in reality is as complicated as a Rubix Cube.

When you need instructions to operate something as simple as a pin pointer,then the manufacturer needs to rethink what they have created other than something that's suppose to be simple but in reality is as complicated as a Rubix Cube.

I don't think the trx can be complicated as a rubix cube... I have never had one in my hands but it can't be that hard to use. Now the real question in my opinion is why would you need a pinpointer that detects a coin at 4 inches.... I have a detector that can do that, I need to pinpoint where the coin or metal object is, once I open the plug... And the pro pointer does a great job at it even with just 1.5 inches of detecting, also I have found that the pro pointer actually detects more than what it air tests.

If people think the TRX is difficult to figure out how in the heck are you even able to detect, tie shoes, walk, change a tv channel, post on a forum, etc. :laughing:

the garrett is probably the best turn on and go simpleton device but it is nice having the TRX options available if needed for those that may want to use it. It certainly has to be easier than explaining or using the supertune technique.

As complicated as a rubix cube? :laughing: You can't be serious...

There is a very simple set of instructions on how to set the pinpointer in a way that it will best suit your detecting style or method. It will detect from 1-4/5 inches in the ground...depending on how YOU prefer it to be set up.

It can also be set up to beep, vibrate or a combination of the two...very user adjustable...based on what each individual likes.

The TRX will also ratchet down on the fly very simply with the push of a button to detune as you get closer and easily find your target much quicker.

The fact that you are a propointer advocate doesn't justify bashing a more advanced pointer because you don't know how to use it.....

If you like on/off and buzz and beep...thats understandable...I just don't identify with your logic that the advanced features of the "new kid on the block" are a hindrance or are somehow less than the propointer.

I have two propointers, so I am not being biased when I say...they are not in the same league as the TRX...whether anyone else likes that observation or not is purely subjective...and to each their own.

LittleJohn

Norbyx

Here is a reason, a lot of times I flip over a 3 or 4 inch plug, with the Garrett I had to break up the plug , with the TRX I don't, makes all the difference in the world to me, as the Garrett was extra work, meaning more time retrieving the target , less time finding more treasure, Earl

Here is a reason, a lot of times I flip over a 3 or 4 inch plug, with the Garrett I had to break up the plug , with the TRX I don't, makes all the difference in the world to me, as the Garrett was extra work, meaning more time retrieving the target , less time finding more treasure, Earl

You must have some really hard thick dirt as I have flipped out 4 to 5 inch cut plugs and used the Propointer and knew the target was still in the plug without breaking open the plug and then stick the PP to the Plug and retune and ;locate what part of the plug the target is in never been a problem and Texas Dirt sure as heck is not dust it is pretty thick itself

I had a flipped plug yesterday, probably more no than 4 inches thick, and the TRX wouldn't pick the target in up. I had to sweep the clod with the detector and then break it in half first.

I will re-address the TRX in a week or so and maybe find myself more positive.

Here is what I simply wanted in the TRX:

1. NOT primarily for full power to get 4 inches, but a solid, "unchatty" 3 inches.

2. The basic, seamless turn on&go functions of the GPP. Don't get me wrong, I like extras as long as it doesn't require digging through sub menus which you can't visually see.

3. Similar detection technology of the Garretts. The so-called "flashlight" off the very end on the tip, slows down my cadience bigtime. Hassle.

Conclusion: If the TRX can be setup to 3+ of those desires, AND STAY STATIC instead of going back to factory after every single power-off, then I'll keep one. If not, it's too much of a hassle on each hole. Conclusion-2, the chattyness has to be something that I am causing and not inherent to the PPr. I hope that I'm just missing one step of the GB.

BTW, why does a pinpointer even need a GB anyway? Now, I do GB the Garretts when I extend the range with the nickle trick by touching the tip to the ground pre-dig, cuz in range extension the ProPointer can chatter. That simple method didn't appear to work the same way with the TRX.

Folks complicated as a Rubix Cube was just a figure of speech,not to be taken seriously.I'm Garrett Pin Pointer fan and have know desire to change.:yes:

Folks complicated as a Rubix Cube was just a figure of speech,not to be taken seriously.I'm Garrett Pin Pointer fan and have know desire to change.:yes:

20140325_130225_zpsveamgi7o.jpg

Less than 3 minutes later...

20140325_130630_zpsxjngdbkk.jpg

Rubiks cubes are very simple...just like the propointer.

LittleJohn

I thought you ordered the TRX from Whites with a gift certificate? If you don't want it, you can sell it to me using the good buddy discount ;)

I thought you ordered the TRX from Whites with a gift certificate? If you don't want it, you can sell it to me using the good buddy discount ;)

Always been a fail safe plan of mine from the beginning. You're first in line. Well, that's if Birdie doesn't take it for a chew toy first, DOH!

Off topic...this dog is unique ;-)

I told ya it was a chatty cathy lol! My experience with it was exactly like yours. The pro pointer just does it job fast no fuss at all. I traded the trx to a forum member here for a pair of grey ghost water proof ctx head phones and the guy said I see why you did not want the trx he said I hate it!

Sent from my LG-LS840 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom