• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Garrett Pro pointer is a hunk of junk! I'm sick of it. (UPDATE: ordered vibra 580)

Bonesquat

Elite Member
Let me start this off by saying I'm an extremely experienced pro pointer user. I've owned 3 in the past 2 years and every single one of them develops the same nagging symptoms. I'm not the only one experiencing this problem. Keep in mind, I've had a blast using this tool and when it works properly there's nothing better. But it only works correctly about 5% of the time I use it now. I also make sure to use new high quality duracell batteries in the unit. I assure you, it's the unit - nothing else.

Sometimes the button on my pro pointer simply wears out and I can't get the unit to turn on or off. Occasionally the vibrating function completely stops working for a day or so and only emits sound. Every now and then the speaker gets super quiet and I can't hear the unit.

The worst part is that when you're trying to pinpoint a target the pin pointer will just beep like mad even in the air with NOTHING around it! You can't shut it up until you turn it off. What's great is when it's going nuts and you hit the power button and it WON't turn OFF. So now I have to take the dang battery out and do my fifth reset of the hunt. :mad:

Another symptom has developed, and the depth of my pinpointer has been cut in half! And please don't tell me not to turn it on near any metal. I've known that for a long time. Now I can't even touch the ground where a coin is less than a inch and get a peep from the pro pointer. This is my third PP and I already sent one in for repair. I've about had enough of this piece of garbage contraption. I'm seriously considering an alternative.

I've been using my Sunray x-1 probe lately and that means I can't use my compadre at the moment....this whole pinpointer thing has been bugging me for a while now.

Does anyone know of a solid PP with the performance of a Garrett PP out of the box new? Oh, and one that doesn't have intermittent issues constantly? One that won't fail me in the middle of a hunt? A pin pointer that won't lose performance over time...Sorry about the rant. I'm just tired of the stupid thing. I want a reliable tool.

UPDATE: Ordered a Vibra 580 on the cheap! Going to send the garrett in for repair and use it as a backup or a guest pin pointer. The vibra will be my new primary PP. Thanks everyone for your fantastic feedback.This forum is great.

sorry to hear this
Ive had mine well over a year and have had no problems and Keith wore his out at least the button otherwise he had no problems with it
you must be pro pointer jinxed or something:lol:

sorry to hear this
Ive had mine well over a year and have had no problems and Keith wore his out at least the button otherwise he had no problems with it
you must be pro pointer jinxed or smething:lol:

I think you're right! Third one and they all get the same issues. I just don't understand it.

I've only had mine for a couple of weeks, but no problems or erratic behavior, yet... But, for the price, it really should but solid like a tank, last virtually for ever. I'm really not seeing a huge improvement in overall efficiency finding targets in the sandy soil. It's a one time indulgence, the Centech works well enough for my needs, cheap enough not to worry about warranty, or fixing it myself. Also like being able to open it up, and customize it to my liking. Even though the Propointer is working fine, intend to pickup another Centech, next time I need something from Harbor Freight, and do some major modifications, thanks to the work of Gauntlet.

Have you called Garrett to explain this issue with the last three ProPointers? As the owner of an electronics company, I would welcome feedback such as yours to root out a design flaw, intermittent problem, or wear & tear issues after prolong use of these units. Are you certain you don't contribute to these failures? I believe you would easily receive help from Garrett's Engineering Dept if you conversed with them.

You do understand that the issue of having three units with the same problems does lead logically to having to eliminate any issue with your use of the unit? Just a normal method of troubleshooting, divide and conquer.

If you can't receive satisfaction about their repair, would these non-working units be for sale? Here's hoping it's resolved for you.

I think you're right! Third one and they all get the same issues. I just don't understand it. I think I'm bound to get one of these new fangled minelab pointers. I've had only bad luck with Garrett. Don't like the Ace series. The AT pro is a joke and the pro pointer is unreliable. :frustrated::pullhair:

Why is it that about the only people that knock the At-Pro anymore are etrac owners or people that say they tried it once or twice & then say its a horrible machine.. :laughing:

How could it have problems? It is the best pinpointer ever made and the one people always say to buy? :laughing::laughing:

My ProPointer switch stopped working today also. It goes to Garrett on Monday. I've had it since a week before Christmas. It won't turn on unless you hold the button down. Must be a weak point in the switch design. I know I haven't used it more than a dozen times since I've had it. Because of sickness & cold weather I haven't been out that much this winter. It was a beautiful day out today in North Carolina. Found a lot of Junk Trash & a few Pennys.
Oh well, I hope the repair last longer than this one did.

Have you called Garrett to explain this issue with the last three ProPointers? As the owner of an electronics company, I would welcome feedback such as yours to root out a design flaw, intermittent problem, or wear & tear issues after prolong use of these units. Are you certain you don't contribute to these failures? I believe you would easily receive help from Garrett's Engineering Dept if you conversed with them.

You do understand that the issue of having three units with the same problems does lead logically to having to eliminate any issue with your use of the unit? Just a normal method of troubleshooting, divide and conquer.

If you can't receive satisfaction about their repair, would these non-working units be for sale? Here's hoping it's resolved for you.

"If you can't receive satisfaction about their repair, would these non-working units be for sale?"

Good question. If they are junk and sold cheap, I am interested. martin

Richard, I am in the same boat as you, I got my original pro pointer almost 3 yrs ago and it worked like a champ with zero issues for just shy of two yrs, then it jus started beeping constantly in the air like you describe, so they sent me a brand new one. While I was waiting for that one to be repaired, I actuall bought a second one to have as a backup because I hate hunting without it. Well like 6-7 months now and both of them are doing the exact same thing, gets no depth and beeps wildly, I have to turn it off almost everytime I dig a hole and start looking because it beeps like crazy, I am pretty fed up with it, for what it costs, it should not be having so much trouble

I love the propointer but I cannot grasp why it is so expensive.

No fancy processor, no screen, just simple electronics. I am guessing the build cost is less than 50 dollars. Really $99.99 would be more than plenty for it.

Same thing happened to mine, It got past the constant beeping phase...... But now lost the vibrating function. :roll: But at least it still works, Going on 4 years with it. :D

Vibra-probe has no button to wear out....just saying.

Does anyone know of a solid PP with the performance of a Garrett PP out of the box new? Oh, and one that doesn't have intermittent issues constantly? One that won't fail me in the middle of a hunt? A pin pointer that won't lose performance over time...Sorry about the rant. I'm just tired of the stupid thing. I want a reliable tool.

I rendered my Pro-Pointer inoperable and unrepairable after 7 months:laughing: sent it off, and received a new one. I taped off the speaker and put it in a reinforced plastic bag. Now it stays clean no matter how much mud I hunt in, and no dirt getting in the switch should mean no problems. If it goes bad, I'll send it off again...

The only time mine beeped for no apparent reason was battery was getting low. Changed it out and working fine. (2yrs old) Sorry about the 3 lemons....Curt:grin:

Richard, I am in the same boat as you, I got my original pro pointer almost 3 yrs ago and it worked like a champ with zero issues for just shy of two yrs, then it jus started beeping constantly in the air like you describe, so they sent me a brand new one. While I was waiting for that one to be repaired, I actuall bought a second one to have as a backup because I hate hunting without it. Well like 6-7 months now and both of them are doing the exact same thing, gets no depth and beeps wildly, I have to turn it off almost everytime I dig a hole and start looking because it beeps like crazy, I am pretty fed up with it, for what it costs, it should not be having so much trouble

Thank you Terry! Glad someone else can admit that their 'almighty' propointer is having problems.

How could it have problems? It is the best pinpointer ever made and the one people always say to buy? :laughing::laughing:
It's not a reliable piece of equipment at all...They only last 6 months or so and just fall apart. It's as if they were designed for the occasional hunt - like once a month...

Mine goes off when I push on it. Yes I have put a coin behind the battery. I currently have a garden hose washer behind it. Did you ever try to pinpoint inside a six inch plug with out pushing on the PRO Pointer? I'll be buying the Minelab hand held also. As will a few of my friends. When the Garrett Pro pointer works it is great. But I demand more from my equipment than what the Pro Pointer is currently delivering. So come on Minelab release that bugger.

I had trouble with one of mine last year....Garrett replaced it no problem...I'm sure it is frustrating happening more than once...

Back
Top Bottom