HistoricAerials.com quality down the crapper?

Dougmeister

Elite Member
I haven't been on their website for a few months. I tried to look at a new permission today and the map won't resolve any closer than 100 feet. (It kind of "tries" to go closer, but the maps never finish loading)

Is it just me or do other people see this behavior too?

I've pulled the same town up before with no problems.

It seems like during the day it is slower than at night. Maybe less people using it. I have noticed some areas the graphics are blurry, while others are crystal clear. Might try using it later in the evening and see if that helps any?

I did try to access a city earlier and couldn't get it to load up. I searched a couple other cities then tried that one again and it loaded just fine. Might just have to wait for it to fully load before trying to do a search, I dunno.

By the way if you want me to try and pull it up and PM you a screen shot, I'll try for you.:cool:

Where I live many many maps just do not have that much resolution. Nothing exciting or strategic around here, so the maps have lousy detail.

Thank you very much for making this thread ! That website is awesome. I just used it for my location and found what looks like a house or barn site starting in 1954. Not a big deal but something that may produce some silver or better. It's in the woods next door. I found some very old standing wood fence posts there with barb wire before. Thanks to that website,I can go of the fence from the 1954 view to locate the area of the building. I can't get a real good view but I can see the fence and some type of building. I'm going to hit them maps hard when I get home from work. Thanks big time again !

Yep, I've had lots of trouble getting it to focus. The little spinner goes around, but it never seems to finish loading enough to focus.

Great thread, I too have had issues with the website, but I use it to do research and then utilize Google Maps and Zillow to firm up the precise location. Just my technique.

It seems all map sites will have different quality of resolution in different areas. And I know it goes back a bit in history, but sometimes Bing maps is best, sometimes one of the others is best, for that reason I tend to use a few of them.

Not a MS supporter for sure, but it does seem at least around here in the more rural areas that Bing does in fact have the best resolution. ??

I've only used the free version. Is it worth paying for? Something else that might help is a website I found for my state that has a library of images. They go from modern times back to the 1800s. Maybe there's something like that for where you are.

I've only used the free version. Is it worth paying for? Something else that might help is a website I found for my state that has a library of images. They go from modern times back to the 1800s. Maybe there's something like that for where you are.

How did you find that site? Was it a Google search or did someone tell you about it? I'm in PA and don't know of any such site specific to my state.

How did you find that site? Was it a Google search or did someone tell you about it? I'm in PA and don't know of any such site specific to my state.

Well I should say, by images I mean just images of the state and some taken from air. But it's help since you see how areas looked. I was just searching for old images in my state. I think it's TN State Library & Archives but I'm not sure.

Just yesterday I had the problem with the pinwheel of death over the map and it never finished loading...I was using Chrome, I probably should have tried IE but didn't bother. .

This is when I was trying to pull up a topo, the satellite and aerial imagery worked fine though

Try using it with Internet Explorer... I've had WAY better luck using it with that than with Firefox or Chrome. It's the only thing I use IE for and have it set as my homepage. I used to hate that site for that very reason but since I figured this out I use it almost every day now and haven't had a problem with it in over a month.

Back
Top Bottom