AT Pro custom settings or just a thread to talk about the AT Pro

I was seeing the same thing until I figured it out. Not sure how to explain it. Running Pro Zero with no iron disc (set at 00) you will hear the low tones on low conductivity targets such as iron. However, if you turn on Iron Audio with the iron disc set to 00, your mid tone will now extend all the way to zero. This is because when Iron Audio is engaged, the low tone is only given for VDI readings below the Iron Disc setting. If you have it set on 00, then there is no place for a low tone to sound and it will seem like Iron Audio is working backwards.

I just went outside and re-checked this. Swing over a target with VDI 27 and get a low tone. Turn on Iron Audio and that same target now produces a mid tone. If I raise Iron Disc to higher than 27, that target will then get the low grunt Iron Audio tone.

I hope this kind of makes sense.

Papa

Exactly, and well put. It also took me a while to figure out the iron audio / iron descrimination. Now that I have it figured out more its pretty handy. I can knock out all the square nails after finding one, and then I will get a mid tone on anything with a higher VDI then the nails are producing. Not that beneficial if your just coin shooting but looking for other relics, and stuff it works great.

I was seeing the same thing until I figured it out. Not sure how to explain it. Running Pro Zero with no iron disc (set at 00) you will hear the low tones on low conductivity targets such as iron. However, if you turn on Iron Audio with the iron disc set to 00, your mid tone will now extend all the way to zero. This is because when Iron Audio is engaged, the low tone is only given for VDI readings below the Iron Disc setting. If you have it set on 00, then there is no place for a low tone to sound and it will seem like Iron Audio is working backwards.

I just went outside and re-checked this. Swing over a target with VDI 27 and get a low tone. Turn on Iron Audio and that same target now produces a mid tone. If I raise Iron Disc to higher than 27, that target will then get the low grunt Iron Audio tone.

Papa

:goodpost: Thanks for sharing.

I guess you don't want to find white gold, that ok with me!

I have found plenty under 50... I don't disc out anything, but it doesn't mean I dig everything either... I do like to hear it all though...

<*)))>{

I'm sure you have...congratulations. You are implying unless you dig foil, you miss white gold. Interesting. Making a rather impersonal assumption I haven't found white gold jewelry or perhaps platinum or maybe palladium haven't you? I really don't compare myself with anyone, no need for me to something like that. I do compete...with myself, though, otherwise, how do I know I'm becoming a better detectorist? That is one of the reasons I'm here. I just tell people I must have a defective AT Pro because I have not found a gold ring (white, yellow, rose or zebra stripped) that came in under a 50 VDI. I was starting to get the "everyone else" syndrome, then caught myself when I got the June 2014 issue of Lost Treasure magazine and read the article on beach hunting.The picture of the author shows him with his AT Pro. I guess he must have the same problem with his AT Pro as I have, he pretty much says the same thing. I have found NO gold rings under a 50 and I've found plenty. You can say this way is better, I can say that way is better and we can both call each liars. What good does that do? I ain't in Michigan...you ain't in Northern California. The cool thing about that is I know what works for me in the ground I have for the metal I'm searching for in the town I live within the area I hunt at the site I hunt...and you can't. I know how to program my AT Pro to it's fullest advantage for my unique situation and I'm listening to no one, but me. That is the point. You say something else works better where you are, I'm oh so way OK with that.The AT Pro has the capabilities to be programmed for each person's INDIVIDUAL detecting style and needs. I love finding stuff and having fun. I never run out of targets. I just don't seem to quite have enough time. HH 5060

Papa

The problem is i was getting no iron audio sound at all with iron audio on , the telltale sound it makes to help weed out bottlecaps and nails. But i got it with it off. Even both when using outdoors and while air testing. With IA on it is only one clean clear low tone , even when over a bottlecap....but when i turn it off i get iron grunt/tone/grunt....which according to the manual is wrong. Or maybe i misunderstand what you said ? But thats still backwards isnt it ?

Well put. I never use iron audio or any discrimination or notching out. If you really want to find everything good you have to listen to everything.

Your machine will bring the good mid and high tones out of the mess. Hard to explain until you hear it for yourself. :grin:

This^ X2!

How is she supposed to tell you about the mid tone, when your told her to keep her mouth shut on all the iron under your coil.....

<*)))>{

I was never actually wanting to use the iron audio necessarily , i just became concerned there was something wrong with the machine. It made no sense that i was getting all the iron sound with it off and nothing more than clean low tones with it on , i actuall started hunting with it ON just before sending it in so i didnt hear all the iron grunting going on , it quieted right down :?: Crazy to turn on the iron audio in order to stop hearing it but thats what i had to do. I have verified that they recieved it at garrett so atleast they can look at it. When you pay $500 for a product it should work the way its supposed to. The biggest problem was the high pitched whine though , like a really bad case of tinnitus that is really annoying to hear for hours at a time. The iron audio thing is just a sidenote but i shouldnt have to turn it on so i dont hear it. :lol:

The problem is i was getting no iron audio sound at all with iron audio on , the telltale sound it makes to help weed out bottlecaps and nails. But i got it with it off. Even both when using outdoors and while air testing. With IA on it is only one clean clear low tone , even when over a bottlecap....but when i turn it off i get iron grunt/tone/grunt....which according to the manual is wrong. Or maybe i misunderstand what you said ? But thats still backwards isnt it ?

Hey Chris, what was your Iron Discrimination set to when this was happening?

I found a pretty informative video on youtube about gold readings on the AT pro. Its not very exciting to watch but it shows how varied the numbers can be with gold jewelry. Taking into consideration that targets in the ground can read a little different from targets in the air , the information is still pretty valuable. Its helpful to actually SEE the targets actually ringing up on the detector. Heres the video if you havent seen it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6P-AtJJYdOw

A very nice training infomercial for those who haven't recovered any jewelry, I mean rings. You just got to use his machine and coil configuration, with his settings and adjustments and hunt the same site he does, using the same swing speed, the same coil movement and finding the identical target. It does make for good training for those who haven't found rings.

A very nice training infomercial for those who haven't recovered any jewelry, I mean rings. You just got to use his machine and coil configuration, with his settings and adjustments and hunt the same site he does, using the same swing speed, the same coil movement and finding the identical target. It does make for good training for those who haven't found rings.

No matter what coil he is using or where he is or how fast the speed is the items should ring up close to the same though maybe not exact. For me it was helpful to just see how varied the gold items can ring up. Theres just something about actually seeing it that clears things up better than reading about it. But yeah probably not very informative to those who have already seen it in personal experience.

I got my detector back today and everything seems to be working as it should. I cant believe how good it sounds without the whine or ringing. I dont know what they had to fix , though i would like to know , on the paper they sent with it looks like they repaired or replaced four different things......looks like four different part numbers mentioned. Im satisfied so far with how it turned out. Very quick service too.

I thought that when using Iron audio the mid tone starts where your discrimmination ends and everything below your discrimmination is a low tone so you do actually hear it all.

I'm new to the Pro but that is the way I understood it after watching the vids on Garretts website

Thats what i thought too but apparently when it is on everything all the way down to the disc setting has a mid tone. Which is a little confusing when the disc is set at zero , everything below high tones has a mid tone.

I got my detector back today and everything seems to be working as it should. I cant believe how good it sounds without the whine or ringing. I dont know what they had to fix , though i would like to know , on the paper they sent with it looks like they repaired or replaced four different things......looks like four different part numbers mentioned. Im satisfied so far with how it turned out. Very quick service too.

Glad you got your detector back and working like it should.

But yeah probably not very informative to those who have already seen it in personal experience.

There is nothing like actually experiencing the glint of a gold ring coming out of the ground. I got my first gold ring the first day I took my AT Pro out to acquainted with the audio, visual indications and nuances of the machine. A fine machine that is user friendly from the get go. I don't leave my car in the garage waiting for the traffic lights to synchronize to all green before I go out, either. Just do it and do it...again and again and again until the job gets done. Kinda like keep on keepin' on. Can't find nothing if it ain't beepin'. Get out there and get it beepin'. HH 5060

Back
Top Bottom