First Forum Gift Exchange!!! 2010

Carol K

Co-owner
Admin
Just wondering if we could do something like this, and how to go about doing it.

I'm thinking, sort of like "white elephant" gifts, meaning that it's something you already own and are not using, preferably metal detecting related.

Here's the Results!

gift-names.jpg

Now everyone is responsible for PMing the member they are matched with and exchange addresses. :grin:

I'm game! Maybe have all interested members comment here saying they would like to sign up...put them in a hat, and draw two at a time, and they are exchange partners and will send the other member a surprise gift...(MD related...mine would be something cool I've dug up...)

Just wondering if we could do something like this, and how to go about doing it.

I'm thinking, sort of like "white elephant" gifts, meaning that it's something you already own and are not using, preferably metal detecting related.

Is anyone interested in doing something like this?

Suggestions on ideas please. :D
I got a metal "white elephant" I found metal detecting. .............Seriously, I have some vintage magazines laying around.....(about 120) I would ship out a half a dozen for a dated standing liberty or something similar.

FUNNY Beerdoodle!

Hmmm... great idea NC. Names in a hat sounds simple enough.

So, I guess we need a "cutoff" date. Do you think it's too late in December to do something like this?

We'd have to make the cutoff date like Dec. 15th. That's 9 days for members to sign up here on this thread.

Then the evening of Dec. 15, I'll gather the names and post who sends to who.

Then you will have to switch addresses via PM's.

So, as far as gifts, something simple, and something that is nice, and something you wouldn't mind receiving yourself. ;)

A cool find, metal detecting book, magazines, headlamp, flashlight, what else? A neat coin or token?

I've done this before, a great thing to do. One suggestion, Who ever signs up should post what they have and a picture of it for all involved to drool over, so to speak. It makes it a lot of fun really, really! Then you draw names of where each will send their gift too and let them do the rest, carrying out the mailing and such. I'm in if we do it!

Count me in from cold northern illinois. Still the newbie with posts but have learned a lot and have a lot of "stuff" in my pirates treasure chest that some might find interesting.

Yes Carol, the 15th should be fine...just feature this thread or start a new one with defined deadlines/rules and lock this one down. I think that would be great! HH
NC

It's featured,

so don't lock it and start another thread for a day or so. See what the interest level is. If it looks good, give it a week to build with a cutoff date of the 15th. Pair em up and close it out, or you could also run it right up to Xmas eve, make pairings, and do the shipping after the holiday rush when things slow down for the P.O. Sort of a late gift..............my thought Gil

I'm in as well.. Cool idea and I agree with Gil, an after X-Mas gift would be a good idea. I have mine picked out but It could be a mad rush to do this in time for Christmas shipping and delivery especially for any oversea members who want to do this.. Just my 2 cent piece (man, I want to dig one so bad)..

I'm in as well.. Cool idea and I agree with Gil, an after X-Mas gift would be a good idea. I have mine picked out but It could be a mad rush to do this in time for Christmas shipping and delivery especially for any oversea members who want to do this.. Just my 2 cent piece (man, I want to dig one so bad)..

I want to be paired with Bruce! :lol:

Count me in....

I don't think I understand how it'll all work, :confused: but I'm down for it. I do like the suggestion that you close the thread out late, hoping more folks find it, participate and gifts are mailed after the Christmas holiday, giving everyone a chance to take a deep cleansing and relaxing breath, including the Post Office. Are we setting a value limit or just doing whatever turns us on? Also like the idea of keeping it MD related. Awesome idea Carol!! ;)

I'm down with you funky clowns! I will put my elfs to work and surely they will have something wonderful to send out!! :cool:

I ran a secret santa on the ratdog.org/community message board two years in a row.

what I did was:

start a post: secret santa swap 2009
have people sign up there username:

1. keith320
2. bobjones
3. bill
4. sally
5. joe

then have them PM you there username and address.
you keep a running list in a spreadsheet with contact info
keep another column with who they will send their gift to:
once you send someones contact info, highlight there row (grey it out).

just always leave one or two contacts for the stragglers at the end.

its surely is a little work, but its fun for people to get to know someone else on the board. we did a 10/20 $ max.

since ratdog is a grateful dead type band, many people sent live concerts burned on cds, t-shirts, old grateful dead magazines. etc

very cool idea, but after doing the past 2 years, i passed the baton to another member on the messageboard this year. and they have close to 50 members join this year.

Thanks for the input everyone, we have 14 entries so far.

NCBounty15
beerdoodle
Carol K
Jack Flynn
bowman64
Grampy
terryinr.i.
grinsebring
bmattioli
venator12
treasurebum
AceGVSU11
NHKeith
KentuckyDiggin

A cutoff of Dec 25th sounds okay to me.

However, the gift must be mailed before New Years Eve.
I think approximately a $10 value would be okay. You think?
Hard to say... one persons trash is another's treasure! right? :yes:
Just make sure it's AWESOME enough that you would like to receive it yourself!

I will draw names on Christmas Day and post the matches. Then it is YOUR responsibility to contact your match via PM and exchange addresses.

No deadbeats! If you sign up for this, then follow through! mail bear.gif

Back
Top Bottom