Fresh water Strategy

WBL TH

Just looking for some ideas on what to look for while detecting fresh water. I have located a few old swimming areas. One I believe is next to an old Picnic Grove (Still waiting to get Permission for that). I have had some luck with some very nice old coins but feel I could really increase my good finds with a little different strategy. Some questions are Water Depth, Slight drop off areas, Standard coil (CTX) or do I break out the big Gun (17"), Bottom transitions from rock to sand/mud etc. Here in MN the beaches are usually not your classic sand beach but more grass right into the water.

How do you FW hunters attack a new location?

Thanks for your input.

Greg

Attachments

• coins 3.jpg
    coins 3.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 214
Just wade at this point. I do like NN video's doesn't matter if he finds gold or a rusty nail always positive for what is to come and gives a lot of useful info.

Greg

Since wading and if you have no weeds to slow you down there is really no strategy. You either grid the area or zigzag a spot until you start hitting targets and then slow down.

You talked about drop offs in your first post. DON'T TRY THEM. I hit them all the time while diving and they are full of coins and rings. HOWEVER, while wading it is VERY hard to go up them.

Here is my best advice. Do NOT be complacent in the water. If you can't see the bottom DON'T TRY TO DETECT. You never know where boat props have dug holes or even detectorists with scoops have dug huge holes. if you get over your head drop your gear. Your life isn't worth a few thousand dollars in materialistic junk.

I know of three people that have drowned wading and detecting. One was one of my friends. To this day nobody knows what really happened to him. Water kills.

Good advice from Scuba. I'd use the 11" or even the 6" in rocks. You can tie a life vest to your waist with a short rope and let it float behind you. That way if you step in a deep hole, and you eventually will, you'll have something to help you get your head above water. I think if your hunting over waist deep, you should never hunt alone.

Thanks for the replies. There are some good takeaway's and Safety is always first. I would not head into a situation where I could not easily retreat to shallow water if needed. I am looking forward to getting out after the thaw to see what turns up. Water will probably not come into play until mid May as the water temps are still just too low even with waders. Just drove around the lake by my house today and it was covered with 1/2 ton pick ups and Ice houses. Just waiting for spring.

Thanks

Greg

Back
Top Bottom