The GOLDEN Voice of the Philippines

dirtykneese

Forum Supporter
This past weekend my wife went to visit our niece and kids in a small village not to far from us. Mostly very poor people live their. Every year we send many boxes of clothes of all sizes to help people out. We took many clothes with us to give out. People were very thankful for that.
My main story is about a little boy. We have always known this family. His name is Leon. He is now 12 years old. He has had a very poor life. Because his mother and father like booze and drugs. The drugs were always first. The father has been a drug pusher for a long time. When the new Philippine President took over, He said that he was going to clean up this country. They started to shoot and kill any drug dealer they could find. Well, this little boy lost his father to a bullet. His mother could not take care of him, so our niece takes care of him. They sleep on a pad on a cement floor. Eat what food they can get.
This little boy ( Leon) likes to shoot basketball. He might not be the best, but he always has that smile on his face that you would just love. While we were their , this lady was selling BALUTE. For those of you that dont know balute, It is a duck egg that is 17 days in an incubater. Not all the way ready to hatch yet. Than they are hard boiled. I bought the kids that wanted one some balute. NO way would I eat one of these. They would break open the top and suck out the juice. ( are you getting sick yet ). Than they finish to open the egg. I said NO WAY. You can see the head and body of the new duck. Here we go... They sprinkle on a little salt and down the hatch it goes.
Now you know what they do with BALUTE. ( oh my God ).
Now the GOLDEN voice. IN this little area we were at, they have an vedio oke. Or what ever they are called.. Everyone thinks that they are good singers. I tell you, Some need to see a Doctor.
When Leon steps up to the microphone, everyone is very quiet. When this little boy starts to sing, It brings tears to your eyes. This kid should be on Americas Got Tallant. He loves the older songs. He likes love songs to remind him of his papa. When he sing one or more of these songs in English that we in America know, It just tears your heart out. This kid is so good that you want to do something for him. I wish I had good enough camera to do a vedio of him singing. I would send it to Simon on AGT. like I said, when he sings, Everyone will have tears in their eyes. You can not help but to love Leon. He is very quiet and shy. Also very helpful. When my wife and I walk some place while their. He always holds her are.
I know it has been a long story, But I just had to share it with my family on here. Thank you all so much for reading and enjoy the pictures. Look hard at them eggs...... KEN In the Philippines

Last edited:
Great story! the balute :saywhat: that's a little disturbing lol sounds like a great kid that was dealt a really tough hand. Hopefully he doesn't end up like his parents. I will say a prayer for him.

What an interesting, tragic, horrifying (balute), and wonderful post!

Good on you and your Family for being a Helpers of People...You can tell Leon all your old Friends back here in the States and around the World will be praying that he grows up to be a Good Man...Do these kids learn how to read and write over there Ken? That is a good place to start to pull out of poverty and open the World up a bit...
Mud

Great story Ken

You captaured a good picture of every day life in a rural area over there. You got that right about about the aid we send over there . My wife is Packing jumbo boxes to get there ahead of our trip, she buys this stuff all year on sale and hands it out on our arrival. It normally takes about 3 month for the boxes to get there by boat to our island. Not only is there stuff for our relatives and distant relatives but all the neighbors and friends that come by. When the Americans go home over there it is like a Super Christmas and every one is so gratefull. At almost all gathering or parties the Karakoe machine come out, every one thinks they are a great sininger espically when the beer and rum come out. The singing is a cheep way for the whole family can entertain them selves and friends. I am enjoying Ken photos and experiences a lot ,while my wife relatives are about 450 miles south of Kens location rural life is the same there.

Mudpuppy

Good on you and your Family for being a Helpers of People...You can tell Leon all your old Friends back here in the States and around the World will be praying that he grows up to be a Good Man...Do these kids learn how to read and write over there Ken? That is a good place to start to pull out of poverty and open the World up a bit...
Mud

Balute is another experence for you to try if you go over , if it helps any they usally wash it down with a beer. It is considered a macho thing to do, but i am not trying it.:laughing:

Balute is another experence for you to try if you go over , if it helps any they usally wash it down with a beer. It is considered a macho thing to do, but i am not trying it.:laughing:

Knowing me, I'd probably give it a go! Especially after a few beers and one at the ready! I'm up for just about anything! :laughing:

We sure do appreciate the look inside your Interesting lives over there in that Land Far Away...To see other people in villages enjoying the simple things in life like bad singing, family, friends, a little drinking, gifts from strangers, ducklings on the half shell! Keep it coming Boys! Big Fan here!
Mud

That would be fun to watch

Knowing me, I'd probably give it a go! Especially after a few beers and one at the ready! I'm up for just about anything! :laughing:

We sure do appreciate the look inside your Interesting lives over there in that Land Far Away...To see other people in villages enjoying the simple things in life like bad singing, family, friends, a little drinking, gifts from strangers, ducklings on the half shell! Keep it coming Boys! Big Fan here!
Mud

I don't know to many Americans that have seen what was in side the egg go for it. But like i said it is a matcho thing to do.:laughing::laughing:

I don't know to many Americans that have seen what was in side the egg go for it. But like i said it is a matcho thing to do.:laughing::laughing:

Well, granted, I am a bit different from most Americans...I dont care much about macho activities or peer group pressure..I dont have any tattoos, a motorcycle, or a 401k!...but for some strange physical phenomenon, I was born with an iron gut and an anacondas prehensile jaws.... I can pretty much eat anything without any gastronomic trouble...

I can swallow an apple without taking one bite out of it....or a pineapple if somebody puts me up to it, and slaps down a $20 on the bar....The bummer is the morning after...I doubt a little 'duckling on the half shell' would give me any trouble or even be noticed by me or my sphincter......a full pineapple? Yeah....that was a tough one! I bit my lip and gave her hell! I was not entirely sure if it was the pineapple or the 20lb baby suckling pig from the luau the night before!...In any case, Not worth the $20 dare and bet!...Of course, they both came out breech!...:laughing: Thank god for Rum!
Mud

Bless this Boy and your family for helping . Hope this boy gets a break in life and is recognized for his gift . As far as shooting the drug pushers that are responsible for the deaths of many ,young lives ; that's a policy I could support ! Enjoying your post's HH

During the times that the Navy had me making visits to Pi I never Ever got drunk enough to eat a Balute.

I no longer drink so I will never ever eat one.

Mud

They are tought english in grade school. His english is not to good yet, but i speek a lot of their language. Thanks Mud... KEN

Well, granted, I am a bit different from most Americans...I dont care much about macho activities or peer group pressure..I dont have any tattoos, a motorcycle, or a 401k!...but for some strange physical phenomenon, I was born with an iron gut and an anacondas prehensile jaws.... I can pretty much eat anything without any gastronomic trouble...

I can swallow an apple without taking one bite out of it....or a pineapple if somebody puts me up to it, and slaps down a $20 on the bar....The bummer is the morning after...I doubt a little 'duckling on the half shell' would give me any trouble or even be noticed by me or my sphincter......a full pineapple? Yeah....that was a tough one! I bit my lip and gave her hell! I was not entirely sure if it was the pineapple or the 20lb baby suckling pig from the luau the night before!...In any case, Not worth the $20 dare and bet!...Of course, they both came out breech!...:laughing: Thank god for Rum!
Mud

I also have eaten just about everything under the sun. When I first opened one of these and seen guts and feathers,,, NO WAY. It would take a lot of beer for me to try that, and I dont drink.. KEN

egg

Mud

I have seen them eat them on Survivor tv show as part of a food challenge they say the beak , wings and feet ate the worse parts:lol:

hey thanks for snapping that "Balot" picture...i miss that with vinegar and salt! lol
here in Des Moines, Vietnamise store sells them but not as good as the one we have in the Phil. the embrio is not fully formed the best ones are "18 day old" - i can eat 3 to 6 with ice cold San Miguel beer...cheers :)
stingray

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

hey thanks for snapping that "Balot" picture...i miss that with vinegar and salt! lol
here in Des Moines, Vietnamise store sells them but not as good as the one we have in the Phil. the embrio is not fully formed the best ones are "18 day old" - i can eat 3 to 6 with ice cold San Miguel beer...cheers :)
stingray

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Hi Stingray,
I am glad you jumped in here with this. Could you explain how balot got started. I don't know where it come from way back when. Thanks my friend... KEN

Balot chalange

Hi Stingray,
I am glad you jumped in here with this. Could you explain how balot got started. I don't know where it come from way back when. Thanks my friend... KEN

I also would like to know ,is this just a macho thing to do,i would like a local point of view . I have never seen any one in my wifes family eat one. I am sure we are looking at it from a western point of view. Would this be like us betting on who can eat the hottest peppers (gost peppers) or some thing like that.

Mudpuppy

Mud

I would pay a buck to watch you eat one of the duck eggs ,i would think the little wings , beak, and feet would be a deal breaker. I know i couldn't do it.:laughing::laughing:

Back
Top Bottom