Teknetics T2 SE vs XP Deus vs Garrett ATX

BugginDave

Hi there everyone,
So I'm finally ready to make the jump to a premium metal detector after using a Bounty Hunter model and White's model. I'd really like a detector I can use for relics first, coins second, and beach/shallow water hunting third. I've been reading a little bit, and I think I've narrowed my selection down to the XP Deus, Garrett ATX, or the Teknetics T2 SE. I don't do a bunch of backpacking, and with the restrictions on detecting on state/federal land, I don't think portability will be the biggest issue for me, although it would certainly be nice to have the option to pack it up onto my backpack if I need to.

Any opinions? Obviously the three have the difference of price, as the Teknetics is only $900, the XP Deus $1700, and the Garrett being $2500. Is the difference between these model's effectiveness warrant spending the extra $1000 at each tier?

Looking forward to some opinions and advice :-)

Dave

I'd only get the ATX if you ONLY hunt relics in areas with out much trash. The XP Deus looks nice and light and the recovery is quick, however the T2 is probably similar in depth and speed in most areas from what I've seen. I use an F75 mostly for relics but also for coins, you can find the new F75 LTD2 with the improved stability and speed for about $900 I believe. The issue you will have with the T2 and Deus is they are single Freq. and will not work well in salt sand, the issue with the T2 is it's not waterproof and would be tough to make waterproof for shallow water hunting. If waterproof is not 100% necessary I like the White's V3i for the types of hunting you described as it's a very versatile detector and great for coins, relics, and jewelry. I'd also probably look into the CTX 3030. If you only want one of the 3 you listed I'd pick the Deus assuming you don't hunt salt water much.

Have you ever used a pulse induction machine? If you haven't perhaps you might try one out before spending $2500 on it. They are nothing like the machines you have mentioned. I have used both the T2 and the Deus and to be honest I don't know if the Deus works $800 better than the T2. The attraction for the Deus is the total wireless set-up and the ability to update the software. Coils are very expensive compared to the T2. You can buy at least 2 coils for the T2 for less money than one coil for the Deus. Don't get me wrong, I really like my Deus but you asked if it was worth the extra money. I have no experience with the ATX but I have used a pulse induction machine and it is not for a coin hunter especially if you hunt parks and yards. If you want a machine for relic hunting or hunting in fields where you dig any non-ferrous target a pulse induction makes sense. The pulse induction would also work better in a salt water enviroment. Hope I helped a little.

Have you ever used a pulse induction machine? If you haven't perhaps you might try one out before spending $2500 on it. They are nothing like the machines you have mentioned. I have used both the T2 and the Deus and to be honest I don't know if the Deus works $800 better than the T2. The attraction for the Deus is the total wireless set-up and the ability to update the software. Coils are very expensive compared to the T2. You can buy at least 2 coils for the T2 for less money than one coil for the Deus. Don't get me wrong, I really like my Deus but you asked if it was worth the extra money. I have no experience with the ATX but I have used a pulse induction machine and it is not for a coin hunter especially if you hunt parks and yards. If you want a machine for relic hunting or hunting in fields where you dig any non-ferrous target a pulse induction makes sense. The pulse induction would also work better in a salt water enviroment. Hope I helped a little.

+1, the Pulse will be a whole different beast than a VLF detector, and would be very tough to use at a lot of land sites. The only places I see them being used are open fields with few targets such as old hunted out sites or battle fields, CW camps. The T2 and F75 for that matter offer a lot for the price. The T2 classic is like $499 now, the F75 LTD 2 which is the newest of the F75's is around $899 and comes with 2 coils (11in and 5in), you also have the ability to run boost mode and to run FA in heavy trash. It's definitely the #1 relic hunting detector in my arsenal, and does very well on coins. The light weight is also a bonus, though not as light as the Deus.

Back
Top Bottom