Need a new detector

stumble

Frustrated... Need a new detector

A few weeks ago I dug the 16yr old Land Star out of the closet and put new batteries in it. I had never really used it and hoped it would work to see if the hobby was for me. It falsed a lot but I was able to distinguish the real tones since they were repeatable. I found a few coins even deep coins and my oldest daughter immediately was interested. She tried it in the yard, but the nonstop falsing made her give up quickly. I added a pinpointer to our arsenal and that became her job. Last week I got permission to hunt a late 1700's farm which should be a lot of fun but the false signals make it very difficult to near impossible. I would like to stay under $500 on the purchase, but most important is that the machine be usable by both my daughter and myself. That said we will have a single machine so I can always set it up and hand it off. What would you recommend?

I would take a look at the minelab 705 they are very stable and have a lot of awesome features that I used all the time

I started out with a Fisher F2 and I loved that machine! It only cost $200, so maybe you could get one for you and one for your daughter? Good luck with whatever you decide on.

There are so many choices, but one thing i think most will want to know when you say 500 is that for a used or a new machine? At the 500 mark you can get some really good condition better technology machines, like a Garrett AT PRO, or Fisher F70, and there are others that i am sure these guys will post, that are great machines. If you can go used , then my personal recommendation would be the AT PRO great beginner machine but also good machine for more experienced detectorist as well.

I cut my teeth on a ATPro, it's a great machine for a beginner that will hold its own against higher end machines. Have you looked at the new Ace 400? From the videos I've seen it looks to works very well. I have come to the conclusion it really doesn't matter which brand, just gotta get out there and hunt. Good luck!

I have both the Fisher F2 and the AT Pro.

It appears we live fairly close to each other. I'd be willing to meet you somewhere with both detectors so you can get a feel for those two models. The Fisher is well within your price range and the AT Pro isn't much over it and they're both good units.

PM me if you want to set something up.

I really do like the idea of starting with a simpler lower cost machine. Given my only experience is on the old Land Star I have to ask. Do all MD give random false signals?

AT-Pro Great Detector

A few weeks ago I dug my 16yr old Land Star out of the closet and put new batteries in it. I had never really used it and hoped it would work to see if the hobby was for me. The first few uses it falsed a lot but I was able to distinguish the real tones since they were repeatable. I found a few coins even a few deep coins and my oldest daughter immediately was interested. She tried it in the yard, but the falsing made her give up quickly. I added a pinpointer to our arsenal and that became her job. Last week I got permission to hunt a late 1700's farm which should be a lot of fun but the false signals have been getting worse and make it very difficult to near impossible. After tonights experience I am giving up on the Land Star.
I would like to stay under $500 on the purchase, but most important is that the machine be usable by both my daughter and myself. That said we will have a single machine so I can always set it up and hand it off. What would you recommend?

Give me a call, I can eliminate the Free Metaldetecting kit to save you some money with free shipping

dennis

I'd like to have an F44. Would be nice to not have to haul butt to the truck when it starts raining and have the other features that unit includes.

My problem is I just bought a G2➕ and I love it, but I do wish I had a "tougher" MD that I didn't have to worry about getting wet or beat up a little.

At $350 you could get an F44 and and either a Garrett carrot or TRX and be about in budget.

Ace 400

The new Ace 400 is looking really good in the YouTube reviews I have seen. The F44 seems like an option also.

I started about a year ago with an Ace 350. I found a lot of nice stuff with it but moved to an AT Pro this year. Not pushing the ATP but if you think you're going to like this hobby spend a little extra now on a little higher end machine, whatever kind it is. Will save you money in the long run.

That was quick.

Thank you for the replies, offers for help, and all the advice. I went with the Ace 400.

Unplug then plug back in the coil connection, maybe has slight corrosion on it, check the battery voltage or just try different batteries and look at the prongs the batteries hook to, sitting usually doesn't hurt detectors.
Maybe you can have 2 detectors, always best to have 2 or more.

There isn't much more "set up and hand it off" capable than an 8" Tesoro Compadre! Use the extra $ to get a pinpointer and a Lesche.

It's crazy to find that you'll end up keeping the Compadre over many other digital units, as a back up!

IF your daughter uses it much, she will need light weight, pinpoint, and simplicity.:yes:
So many to choose from, but keep those 3 in mind.:cool:

Thank you for the replies, offers for help, and all the advice. I went with the Ace 400.

Saw this after my post. I have the 250 and it's a coin killer! The 400 is an awesome upgrade of the 250 with great features. You were concerned about false signals, so keep the sensitivity low at first until you get used to iffy signals-especially since the larger coil. I'm jealous and look forward to your reports.:D

20 Minutes on the new Ace 400

I took the Ace 400 out in the yard to go over places I had already been with the Old Detector. I wasn't going to dig targets so I just marked them with sticks for now, but I am pretty sure I found another dime and a penny. I can cover ground atleast 5X faster than with the old detector so I quickly went into a new area and got a solid 89/90 really shallow so I had to dig it. Did a quick pinpoint stuck a stick under the moss and about 1" down exactly where it pinpointed was a 1976 Bicentennial quarter. My daughter took over from there and in just a few minutes she had a bouncy 79-86. I showed her how iron audio made it scratchy, but she insisted we dig it. Seemed like a good test, and sure enough 5" down under a brick we found a 1980's Pepsi Metal screw cap.
With only 20 minutes on this detector I can already tell I am going to love it. It is so simple to use that I am not second guessing myself on settings and I can just listen to tones, and watch the ID. I am very glad I scaled back on what I thought I wanted and decided to go with a simpler to use machine. Back to work for now, but tomorrow this detector is going on a hunt.

Attachments

• 400.1.jpg
    400.1.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 171
I took the Ace 400 out in the yard to go over places I had already been with the Old Detector. I wasn't going to dig targets so I just marked them with sticks for now, but I am pretty sure I found another dime and a penny. I can cover ground atleast 5X faster than with the old detector so I quickly went into a new area and got a solid 89/90 really shallow so I had to dig it. Did a quick pinpoint stuck a stick under the moss and about 1" down exactly where it pinpointed was a 1976 Bicentennial quarter. My daughter took over from there and in just a few minutes she had a bouncy 79-86. I showed her how iron audio made it scratchy, but she insisted we dig it. Seemed like a good test, and sure enough 5" down under a brick we found a 1980's Pepsi Metal screw cap.
With only 20 minutes on this detector I can already tell I am going to love it. It is so simple to use that I am not second guessing myself on settings and I can just listen to tones, and watch the ID. I am very glad I scaled back on what I thought I wanted and decided to go with a simpler to use machine. Back to work for now, but tomorrow this detector is going on a hunt.
Smart girl!! Some class rings, keys, and charms fall in the screwcap area.

Back
Top Bottom