Silver..see all the time at work...

grogmug

I keep hearing you all refer to finding "silver". Are these just nickels/dimes before 1950? I see nickels from the 40's all the time...I found a 1943 dime and a 1938 nickel at work in the register the other day. Are there certain silvers worth more than others? What are the most important/valuable coins you can find in the states? Sorry for so many questions I'm just getting started with detecting.

Silver coinage in the United States is any coin minted pre-1965 except pennies and nickels. However, during WWII there were nickels minted with 35% silver. Value depends upon scarcity and condition. I personally would collect any silver regardless of condition.

Hi grogmug, and welcome to the forum. If you have access to the register and can exchange the pre 1965 coinage, do it. My wife works retail, and has come home with quite a few pieces of silver from the till. I'm still waiting for her to come home with that 1909S VDB wheatie :shock: :lol:

Same here, as Hoser said, BeerGlass.
My wife does th' same. Got a few foreign coins too.
(Oh... and I'm waiting for a 1916-D dime. ;))

It ain't gonna be the fastest race I've ever been in... considerin' the goals. :lol:

Attachments

• mainiac_820.jpg
    mainiac_820.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 310
How much is a pre 1965 nickel/dime/quarter worth? Is the 1909 penny worth more than other pennies? How do you tell the value of these coins because I have access to several of them on a daily basis!!

If I were you, I would get a copy of the 2006 coin buyer/ collectors RED Book. This will give you all the latest coin values for this year.

The question I'm really looking for is are these coins worth going out of my way for to get if they are in the 40's 50's date range? I think the older the better...I still have not got a detector either I'm thinking Whites.

Back
Top Bottom