Protecting coins

mws_1984

Elite Member
So pulled my first IH out of a field yesterday. Pics at bottom. Well someone suggested putting a drop of vegetable oil on it to get rid of the dryness and to protect it. This being my first great pull I am gonna be very anal about anything bad happening to it.

So what is the best treatment for it? Right now I just have it sitting on a envelope. I need to get into buying the coin square things.

Side note on those- is there set sized sleeves for different coins? Maybe there is a list I can go by, for when I buy these.

Attachments

• DSCN1158.JPG
    DSCN1158.JPG
    90.4 KB · Views: 227
  • DSCN1159.JPG
    DSCN1159.JPG
    106 KB · Views: 215
  • DSCN1161.JPG
    DSCN1161.JPG
    115 KB · Views: 218
First check the numismatical value of the coin. If it's valuable - don't clean it.

Now, with that said, here's what I do for my personal collection.
NOTE: This is for coins I've dug out of the ground. It's not for Proof or Uncirculated coins.

1. Clean it with water. Maybe a soak in dish soap/water. Use a Q-tip, toothpick or soft bristled tooth brush to help remove stubborn gunk. CAUTION: Most serious collectors don't rub the coins, which can leave scratch marks.
2. Soak in an ultrasonic parts cleaner. (Harbor Freight Tools carries these things.)
2. Soak in a product called MS70. It removes crud & verdigris. This stuff really works!
3. Soak in acetone. Removes residual traces of the MS70.
4. Soak/dab with a product called VerdiCare. It too removes verdigris and leaves a protective coating that stops the verdigris from deteriorating the coin any further.

I'm just going to tell you from experience that I toasted my first ih (1883) trying to clean it. Use soap and water, nothing else. Leave as is after that. It is not going to get much better than the way it is now. you dug it and thats all that matters. Congrats!

That's a great find - 1859 without the shield on reverse. I would not do anything to it. You could lose detail if you tried to clean it. That's a copper-nickel IH, so it may not hold up as well as a copper one.

Ive always used mineral OIL to preserve coppers. It cleans up the dry look and if you have cleaned one it helps return it to a more natural color. You have to be careful because many products you use .... like lemon juice, vinegar, ect has some form of acid that over time will eat away at the coin. A lot of times to be safe use backing soad in water to stop the affects of acid before using mineral oil. I started using mineral oil when an expert did an article in coil world. There are several products designed to protect and restore the appearance of a coin. But you have to be doing it for yourself because once you clean or put a product on them you cant get them graded because of the new coin SNIFFERS the grading companies use.

Dew

So seeing the pic, what does everyone think I should do? I want to keep it as much as original as I can. I'd almost rather the rinse in water I did be the only thing. I doubt I'd sell it. Probably would just throw it in a 2x2 when I get some of those.

How do those work anyways? does the coin fit right into the hole and stapling it keeps it from moving at all? and are there windows on either side of the holder to see both sides?

My care of coppers is directly from a coin dealer and fellow detectorist. 1. Clean with a toothbrush and a mild soap, rinse well, dry completely. 2. dab some olive oil on your fingers and coat the coin. DAB (not wipe) excess of with a papertowel. 3. Throw it in a 2x2, yes you staple the three sides. The 2x2 comes as a 4x2, you fold it and staple it. Yes they come in sizes, Dollar coin, half, quarter, penny/dime/nickel. They are about 5 cents a piece depending on your source. And congrats on the first year IH! they were a copper nickle mix from '59-'64 ( 88% copper, 12% nickel), then they were bronze (Copper 95%, Tin and Zinc 5%) from '64 till '09. Great coin!!

Attachments

• mding 006.JPG
    mding 006.JPG
    87 KB · Views: 203
Back
Top Bottom