Wanting to upgrade

Fallout mike

I've been using a Garrett Ace 250 for a while now (my first and only detector), and I'm ready to upgrade a bit. Wanting to keep it under $400 though. I've been looking at Fisher F4 and F44 detectors. I would appreciate any input on these or any other sub $400 units that would be an upgrade for me. Thx

If you've been happy with the Ace, I'd suggest the AT Pro. You should be able to find a lightly used AT Pro around that price range. A definite upgrade from the Ace, and should be somewhat familiar as well so there wont be as much of a learning curve.

We have F44, f2, f22 in stock and will make a great deal on any of those...

You have a private message :)

Well, I don't know if I'm happy or not with it. It's all I know. I used another members detector here once when we met up to go hunt. I've found lots of silver jewelry, and a handful of silver coins but there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to the tones or display. I seem to have to dig up nearly everything but iron signals to find silver. It's been great for what it is and I know even a $400 detector will leave a lot to be desired but that's what I have to play with right now. I have a 11 & 13 year old so they can share the 250 for now as they enjoy going as well.

Last edited:
The AT pro would be a good step up. You will have to learn how to use it. The tones should be similar to your present detector. It will still take some learning. Good luck.

Get one with actual VDI numbers this time...very helpful.
Unless you are buying used at a great price that F4 is not worth the extra bucks over the F2.
A few extra features that in real life don't matter all that much and not worth the $200 upgrade.

I loved the F2, the F22 and especially the F44 seem really good, plenty still use the Euro Tek Pro and the Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro is gaining a lot of fans.

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/bounty-hunter/510757-land-ranger-pro-price.html

Used that AT Pro is popular and also waterproof, the new Ace series added those very helpful VDI numbers too...finally.

Starting to think I need the AT Pro.

I was at that point a few years ago Mike. I had used a Old Whites 6000 for years and then finally got the Ace 350. It was alright but I knew I was missing things. The AT Pro had excellent reviews so I took a leap of faith and bought it. That is one decision I have never regretted.
I immediately was finding more silver as well as older and deeper coins, As time went on and I started to jive with the machine I was going back to these same spots and making even more finds.
I have owned several over the last few years and not one has ever let me down.
The AT Pro was my stepping stone to the E Trac and then the CTX3030, I will always have one in my arsenal.

I was at that point a few years ago Mike. I had used a Old Whites 6000 for years and then finally got the Ace 350. It was alright but I knew I was missing things. The AT Pro had excellent reviews so I took a leap of faith and bought it. That is one decision I have never regretted.
I immediately was finding more silver as well as older and deeper coins, As time went on and I started to jive with the machine I was going back to these same spots and making even more finds.
The AT Pro was my stepping stone to the E Trac and then the CTX3030, I will always have one in my arsenal.

Same, I have ctx3030, at pro, fisher f44.... the at pro will always be in my line up as well.

the fisher F5 has knobs. :D

The F5 is a great machine, loved mine, but it's pretty much a sideways upgrade, and if a person isn't fluent with it, it's very easy to end up with an unstable machine. Likewise, after a season with the F5 I found myself wanting more out of it, and wished I had upgraded even more. Just being honest... ask anyone, I loved my F5, but it left a bit to be desired IMO.

While the AT Pro is nice, it exceeds your $400 limit.

I'll echo other posters and recommend the Land Ranger Pro. Tons of advanced features, and it comes with a DD coil, plus has manual ground balance. It's not waterproof, if that is a requirement.

Plus.....It is sub $300, which will allow you to get a pinpointer, if you don't already have one. Check with the sponsors.

Good luck.

AT-Pro or ACE 400

I've been using a Garrett Ace 250 for a while now (my first and only detector), and I'm ready to upgrade a bit. Wanting to keep it under $400 though. I've been looking at Fisher F4 and F44 detectors. I would appreciate any input on these or any other sub $400 units that would be an upgrade for me. Thx

Depending on what type of detecting your doing, these 2 Detector will work great , Not so well on the wet salt water beaches
If you have any Questions just give me a call
dennis

I live 6 hours away from a beach. I have a pinpointer. I don't know for sure whether I'll be able to expand my budget yet or not for an AT Pro.

With the Ace 250, you pretty much have a good "basic" detector. Most others under $400 are still going to fall into the category of good "basic" type detectors. Sure, you can get VDI screens and manual ground balance now for under $400, but it's still not going to be much of an upgrade over what you are using in the Ace 250.

I'd save the money for a more advanced detector in the intermediate type class, buy one used to help cut the costs. JMO, but I don't see going from and a basic detector to another one as an upgrade that would keep me satisfied for long before I would want something significantly better.

I'm not you though, so maybe trying to learn as much you can with the 250 might be even better? I have an intro type detector and I know I like it. It serves me well for now and I push it as hard as I can to reach it's limits. Not that I know I'm missing stuff, because I know I am...but to just learn everything about that particual detector. Whenever I am really ready to upgrade, I expect the upgraded detector to do everything mine does now and more - better. It takes time to fully learn a detector and $$$ to upgrade, so thoroughly learn the detector(s) you have and if you decide to move up, truly make sure it is an upgrade.

I'd hate to see you get something else that is almost identical detectorwise to what you have.

Last edited:

Same, I have ctx3030, at pro, fisher f44.... the at pro will always be in my line up as well.

I concur

If your not really looking for something with vdi numbers, the Tesoro Cibola would be in budget. The Tesoro machine have excellent target separation and with a lifetime warranty to the original owner, they are hard to beat.

Back
Top Bottom