My First Bottle Dig. 1950s-70s

EyeDetectLove

I came across an old gas station while exploring. I found it's bottle dump in the back. So I spent about 5 hours digging. I know these aren't old, but figured for my first dig, I'd have fun with it, clean them up and show them to you guys.

Pepsi-Cola 1957

2wf7rjq.jpg

Eye drop/Ear drop medicine bottle - 1969

2ypc5eb.jpg

7-up - 1971

218nit.jpg

Duragulas Medicine Bottle - 19??

2i1z6vl.jpg

I have no idea what this bottle is. Anyone?

2r5gvae.jpg

Coors - 1971 "Please Help Fight Litter"

2a7iwyc.jpg

Heinz 57 bottle

2w4fyhl.jpg

Pepsi-Cola - 1973

2dsiwk9.jpg

Coca-cola - 1970

15i7sja.jpg

Ball jar

xbeowi.jpg

Ball pint jar

f2napv.jpg

Pepsi-cola - 1967

wgwbb5.jpg

Esquire Scuff-Kot shoe polish - 1950s

ephhn5.jpg

That red/white Pepsi is 1957. You did better than you thought. Take some #4- 0000 steel wool and some auto paste wax lightly over it and it'll clean up nicely. ? what that ribbed bottle is but it IS odd.

That red/white Pepsi is 1957. You did better than you thought. Take some #4- 0000 steel wool and some auto paste wax lightly over it and it'll clean up nicely. ? what that ribbed bottle is but it IS odd.

Ahhh, thanks for the correction. I'm so new to this. Thanks for the cleaning tips. I added more bottles to original post and fixed the photo sizes. :)

Ahhh, thanks for the correction. I'm so new to this. Thanks for the cleaning tips. I added more bottles to original post and fixed the photo sizes. :)

Your pics load a lot faster now.

You can immerse those other bottles in a strong lye solution for a day or two and that cleans 'em up nice using a brush inside and #0000 steel wool. Probably shouldn't do that with the painted label ones, though.

Your pics load a lot faster now.

You can immerse those other bottles in a strong lye solution for a day or two and that cleans 'em up nice using a brush inside and #0000 steel wool. Probably shouldn't do that with the painted label ones, though.

Thanks again for the tips!

Here are the not-so-exciting bottles I found at the same dump.

Some I have no idea what they are, including this first one...

I want to say baby food? There's measurement numbers embossed on side.
The lid won't come off easy and I don't want to break it. But I believe the food is still floating around inside.

2dig8w8.jpg

Bireley's soda - 1970

iolsev.jpg

Howdy's soda - 1970

2he91ds.jpg

?? Rootbeer?

2luwhsy.jpg

Lentheric Cologne - 1970s?

rb9nvn.jpg

Random medicine bottles, I believe

1tock4.jpg

2llmvy8.jpg

The one on the left I believe is a Tabasco bottle?

2mwrx1k.jpg

The dump site

nxq9vb.jpg

That's it! :)

You need to find a much older dump cause sooner or later your gonna dig a dirty baby diaper in that one . :laughing:

I can see most of the stuff is late 1950s and early 1960s .not much collecting value . when looking for the dates on a late bottle on the bottom you will see groups of numbers if they are dates they will be the last two numbers at the far right usually.

That bottle with the stuck cap, immerse it in water upside down for a day or so and then see if it'll come loose. If not spray some liquid wrench or equivalent (bottle upside down so it'll flow into the threads) for a bit. Don't be afraid to use a little force to unscrew the lid.

that Bireley's bottle is neat - I have the sign that goes with it - also found in a dump.

Attachments

• IMG_1094 (800x534).jpg
    IMG_1094 (800x534).jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 474
When I said dump, it was more of a truckload of trash dumped beside the road, I don't think it had been there long when i found it (1989).

10-4 once we found a pile of Chesterfield signs with onionskin sheets still between them like that. But those were probably laying outside for a few years before we found them, and many of them had some rusting around the edges. These were those kind of signs with the 45 degree bend like those old tetephone signs you used to see all over. They sold like hotcakes; I didn't even keep one for the collection.

Back
Top Bottom