How do people lose rings?

wadepliskin

So I was driving into work this morning and for some reason my mind started wandering onto this subject.
I kept trying to come up with situations that might cause me to lose my ring off of my finger at a place like a park or a school or ball field and just couldn't come up with any good reason other than it breaking.
I get why they get lost at a beach but in a park? Why would you take your ring off?

OK wise ones, fill me in... :) (remember I said "good reasons")

Well if your talking about parks or ball fields it could be a lot of different instances. I would say the most common would be sweat, sun block and running around throwing balls around could cause rings to fall off. Now the beach would be a combination of sun block/tanning lotion and then the fingers shrinking when going in the water.

My ring (stainless) falls off because its too big.(wasn't at the time I bought it because it was hot/humid then).

I have found rings at parks together in a hole.
Evidently they took them off to go play frisbee or toss a ball, put them on a blanket and forgot they were there.
In parks and tot lots the most probable reason is wrong sizing.
Not only to people sometimes order the wrong size, I found a class ring because of this once, but when people lose weight their fingers shrink and all of a sudden their normal size rings are too big for them but they still wear them without putting a guard in or getting them resized.
You don't have to be tossing a ball around to lose them if this happens, just walking around they can easily slip off and most people never notice till it's too late.
The best place to find rings in a tot lot from my experience is right at the bottom of a slide and right behind baby swings where mommies and daddies catch or push their little rugrats.
I have also found many in parking lot dividers.
No ball playing here, people just walk over them and they slip off.

Lots of reasons out there for people to lose rings land other jewelry, and I thank the metal detecting gods for every one that I find.

If you've gone off on enough "posse searches" (like answering lost & found ads to go help people, etc...), you begin to get a feel for the answer to this question. Here's some recurring themes:

a) Thrusting your hands in and out of wet sand, to build sand castles, etc...

b) Swimming. Due to cool waters shrink fingers.

c) taking gloves on and off . That creates a "pulling" action on rings. This is why ski lift line on snow-ski slopes are good spots. People take off their gloves to adjust their gear, while waiting in lift-lines. Also base-ball player gloves, or any other sport which has gloves.

d) slippery suntan lotion, combine with frolicking/throwing motions associated with beach and sports activity (frisbee, ball, etc...)

e) And my favorite: Taking off your jewelry for "safekeeping". Like before entering a game of some sort, or before going in for a swim. Digger27 alluded to this, d/t it's evidenced by more than 1 ring in a spot perhaps. You hide it in your shoe, or put it in your pocket (or so you thought), or you hand it to a friend for safekeeping, etc....

WOW!!! I never thought of some of these. Taking off gloves (smacks head & says "DUH") especially baseball mitts, & sizing are 2 really good ones I think.
Makes me think a little more strategically when thinking of where to hunt.

My ring falls off often after I lost a little weight. Had to wrap a small band aid on one side just to make it fit and stay on (I'm too cheap/lazy to take it to a jeweler for re-sizing).

It's known that cold conditions umm... shrink things so that's on how they lose them at the beach :D I found a wedding band in a ball field and assume it was from taking off a mitt or possibly they had put it in their pocket for safe keeping and it fell out somehow?

Lots come from arguments. In other words looking at bar parking lots is a good spot. Most the rings people tell me where to find one they tossed is behind a bar. But they toss them in parks, oceans, out car windows, etc. I remember that ring finders group has gotten some tossed in neighbors yards, balconies, etc. You get in an argument make it easy and just hand it to someone who uses ARA:lol: A couple of the rings I posted came from bar parking areas:laughing:

It's known that cold conditions umm... shrink things so that's on how they lose them at the beach :D I found a wedding band in a ball field and assume it was from taking off a mitt or possibly they had put it in their pocket for safe keeping and it fell out somehow?

Ahhh my kind of humor.
Thanks for the laugh Cali Girl :lol:

So I was driving into work this morning and for some reason my mind started wandering onto this subject.
I kept trying to come up with situations that might cause me to lose my ring off of my finger at a place like a park or a school or ball field and just couldn't come up with any good reason other than it breaking.
I get why they get lost at a beach but in a park? Why would you take your ring off?

OK wise ones, fill me in... :) (remember I said "good reasons")

Trying to think of oddball places where rings can be found ... I've found rings on steep hill trails where one person reaches back and grabs the hand of someone having trouble getting up the hill. A little slippage between the hands and off comes the ring.

I remember my sister just graduated high school in 69. Her macho marine boyfriend gave her his class ring. Too big she adjusted it with yarn but allways had trouble with it slipping. She was driving home on our hilly winding road and being a " Litter bug" back then threw a gum wrapper out the window and off her hand flew the big ole ring. Crying most the day because niether she, my mother or I could find it. Big boyfriend came home from work and she mustered up the courage to tell him. We went back to the hilly road and he began to estimate where it might have bounced off the pavement. 10 minutes later he walked up from the steep bank and woods down along the road. Waving the ring to her, then they hugged for an eternity and kissed. Awwwh gross!!! Is what I complained and at 10 yrs old was horrified seeing this terrible site and long tired of being forced to look all day for my dum older sisters/his, big stupid ring. We obviously had no detector back then in 1969. We had a big, strong Penn state deer hunter Marine who just came home from Vietnam, his senses razor sharp.
Tin:roll:

I have seen this happen at the beach many times people will take their rings,watches or what ever off to go in the water they leave them on their towel, then get out of the water run to their towel grab it to dry off without thinking and bingo everything goes flying. There are of course many other ways to loose things but this happens a lot.
:doah:

I have seen this happen at the beach many times people will take their rings,watches or what ever off to go in the water they leave them on their towel, then get out of the water run to their towel grab it to dry off without thinking and bingo everything goes flying. There are of course many other ways to loose things but this happens a lot.

Yup, taking off jewelry for "safekeeping". They hide it in their shoe perhaps. Or in a rolled up towel. Or give it to someone else to hold, etc... And then ..... the rest is history. One time I was helping a guy find his lost keychain ring. He explained that the way he'd lost it, was that he'd taken his keys and put them in a drinking cup, for "safekeeping", at a beach bonfire party. Later, when the party ended, and the participants were cleaning up, apparently someone had gone around to all the cups on the tables, and pitched out remaining drinks into the sand. And since it was dark, they hadn't seen that the weight in this cup had been keys (versus incidental liquid).

Sort of ironic, when you think of it, that a person is better of keeping their jewelry and keys WITH/ON them, before entering a sports game, or swimming, etc... ha.

Couple weeks ago a big wind storm came up while I was in the water. Umbrellas and krap were flying parallel to the ocean. Later a lady asked me if I found her gold chain with a ruby on it. Wedding rings and such she recovered that were on a quilt. Tried to tell her someone on shore had to have grabbed it or it got buried in the sand storm. You want to see something scary? Watch a big open beach umbrella steamroll a bunch of people on the beach. I was glad to be in the water.

I have always thought most of the rings I find at tot lots are from little kids trying to lead their parents around by pulling on their fingers i.e. holding hands, mommy mommy come over here!!!

<*)))>{

Back
Top Bottom