• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

At what point is a park hunted out?

Happa54

Forum Supporter
In the last 1.5 months I've pulled out 15 silvers, over 50 wheaties and a couple of 1800's metal buttons in a heavily pounded out trashy park. My earliest merc there is a 1919 and earliest wheatie is 1910. I'm really close in dates to the Barber dime and Indian Head. Don't you think there are Barber's and IH's somewhere buried in this park considering what I've already taken out so far? I want to give up on this park because of heavy MD traffic but then, I would hate to leave behind my bucket list coins, if in fact they are still there. What do you think?

Indian heads and barbers are always possible if the park is old enough. I’ve found early mercs and wheats in 1950’s era parks too. I guess it just depends on the park you are hunting and the age of it. I have found maybe 25 Indian heads in the La area but you have to did the zinc targets. I have found probably close to 40 barbers and a lot sound like clad dimes or pennies because the are worn more than a regular silver dime.

There will probably always be something there left to find , but " hunted out " means different things to different people. Most of us realize that hunted out don't necessarily mean there is nothing left , we consider " hunted out " to mean there is so little left there that we no longer consider it worth the effort or when the fun has gone out of it. Some people are happy to put in another 100 hours for a single silver dime.....some aren't. The question is , what does hunted out mean to you ?

My dad found a Barber quarter at an early '50s park and I found an Indian Head penny at a 1952 school. It was real close to the building so not many people would look there compared to on or near athletic fields. My dad and I in the late '70s had detectors that were only good for 2"-3" most places, but we still found Indians & Barbers.

Late '70s my dad & I were detecting at a 1890s park. A man across the street used to detect there until he considered it too cleaned out. We found many Indian Heads down to 3"-4". I got a Barber Quarter in Very Fine condition 4" deep. I also got 2 shield nickels at 5 1/2" and 7" deep. After we detected there, some other people detected there and one got a 1881 $10 gold coin 11" deep. They stayed for days, digging only the weakest signals. Later, my dad and I came back, more IH cents.

When you park is like mine, I can hunt it for a month straight and not find one wheatie. Silver is not even imaginable there. My park is 100 acres or so and had civil war camp on it. Detecting clubs used to cone hunt it in the 70’s and 80’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To me, never.
There might be way less great targets than in the past but for those that understand their tools and have a little luck and patience there is usually something left to find.

In my neighborhood I have a big park like that.
A few of us love to hunt here but all of the older club guys that have hunted this place since detectors have been invented gave up long ago.

Most good targets that are still here are severely masked or confusingly deep with strange signals but for me that is the challenge...to find them and have fun doing it.
Victory is all that much sweeter when you work for it.

I have two buddies that have found great things here.

So far out of this hunted out park I have found IH's, silver mercs and rosies, buffs and a V nickel, my only seated dime, my only Barber quarter, a very large gold religious pendant and even a Peace dollar.

So much for being hunted out.

I found a 1945 wheatie at the edge of our pounded park. You bet I will try
it with a Equinox or Safari or something when I get one.
I will post finds later next year prob.

There will probably always be something there left to find , but " hunted out " means different things to different people. Most of us realize that hunted out don't necessarily mean there is nothing left , we consider " hunted out " to mean there is so little left there that we no longer consider it worth the effort or when the fun has gone out of it. Some people are happy to put in another 100 hours for a single silver dime.....some aren't. The question is , what does hunted out mean to you ?

Good post!

Aren't the finds perpetually replenished? So theoretically never.

Dang, three big words in one paragraph! :smart:

That, or when the next "game changer" is released. I heard it will teleport old coins to your recliner, you never have to leave home ;)

Been hunting the same park for 30 plus years, this week I pulled 5 Barbers (4 dimes one Quarter) as well as a half dozen Indian heads, half dozen V nickels and a shield nickel. Just digging the deep iffy signals. Stuff is still there you just have to work a little harder to get to it.

Indian heads and barbers are always possible if the park is old enough. I’ve found early mercs and wheats in 1950’s era parks too. I guess it just depends on the park you are hunting and the age of it. I have found maybe 25 Indian heads in the La area but you have to did the zinc targets. I have found probably close to 40 barbers and a lot sound like clad dimes or pennies because the are worn more than a regular silver dime.

1880's park so my guess is there are Barbers & IH's just gotta keep working it. As far as the Zincs go... I recently have been ignoring them because they were burning me out big time. Maybe this is why I haven't run into the IH's? Should I be more aware of deep zinc type signals and ignore the shallow ones? Re the Barber signals, I should have run into some as I dig all dimes, quarters, copper, etc. ... nothing yet though, just mercs & rosies and a lonely GW.

Been hunting the same park for 30 plus years, this week I pulled 5 Barbers (4 dimes one Quarter) as well as a half dozen Indian heads, half dozen V nickels and a shield nickel. Just digging the deep iffy signals. Stuff is still there you just have to work a little harder to get to it.

This is encouraging. And I do dig iffy signals now. I have pulled many wheaties on the iffy stuff.

1880's park so my guess is there are Barbers & IH's just gotta keep working it. As far as the Zincs go... I recently have been ignoring them because they were burning me out big time. Maybe this is why I haven't run into the IH's? Should I be more aware of deep zinc type signals and ignore the shallow ones? Re the Barber signals, I should have run into some as I dig all dimes, quarters, copper, etc. ... nothing yet though, just mercs & rosies and a lonely GW.

This is encouraging. And I do dig iffy signals now. I have pulled many wheaties on the iffy stuff.

Most of the few 1800’s parks in LA have been remodeled/redone over the last 100+ years, plus they have all been pounded. Elysian park for example isn’t all 1800’s. There are only certain areas that go back that far. If it’s one of the other 1800’s LA park they have all had changes over the years. If there was a remodel in the 1940’s for example then you will only find mercs and Rosie’s. Out of 1400 silver coins only 40 have been barbers so that’s 1 barber every 40 silver coins found. If you’ve found 15 silver coins from a park then it could be a few more before you find a barber. Hope that helps. Jason

If that barber is masked by iron such as a nail or 5 in time they will rust and turn to dust . I swear the frost in the ground an earth quake or major thunder storm can unmask or move a coin enough to make it seemingly appear out of thin air.
One of my barber quarters came out of a 5 ft by 5 foot area under a tree that I have hunted to death digging every iffy I could all spring . Then out of the blue I swung over the area again late spring and bang ! Like a deeper clad quarter all directions an there was no deep clad in the area . 6 inches if that I had an 1898.
Makes no sense at all . There is no way I could ever cover even the smallest parkike I have this little patch . No ... never hunted out and always available to go hunt if you get the itch .
HH , Dew

Not happening ever. Dig anything even somewhat repeatable at two angles that's anywhere close to coin numbers. Don't tear the !!!! outta the place though...:grin:

Not until my Deus says it's hunted out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Most of the few 1800’s parks in LA have been remodeled/redone over the last 100+ years, plus they have all been pounded. Elysian park for example isn’t all 1800’s. There are only certain areas that go back that far. If it’s one of the other 1800’s LA park they have all had changes over the years. If there was a remodel in the 1940’s for example then you will only find mercs and Rosie’s. Out of 1400 silver coins only 40 have been barbers so that’s 1 barber every 40 silver coins found. If you’ve found 15 silver coins from a park then it could be a few more before you find a barber. Hope that helps. Jason

Yep, I agree Jamflicker. These are old parks and I can see where the latest landscaping & infill has been placed. I tend not to hunt these wide open areas and I probably should to increase my odds of digging a Barber. I'm sure the tractors have resurfaced a percentage of the old stuff...how much?... I wouldn't know. I pretty much stay on the edges of the parks, alongside pathways, and where the hard dirt is. I've taken most of my stuff from these areas.

God bless NY!!!!! If you live in big cites where the population was ridiculous in the 1800’s you’ll have a lot better success than where I live where there were around a 1000 people. So many coins were lost in those big parks that it seems they can never be hunted out. I’m amazed at the Park finds from my friends online that find 400+ silvers a year hunting only parks where I have to hunt private permissions if I wanna find anything. Location is 99% of this hobby in my opinion

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom