Ready to Try Again in Missouri

johnsonf5

Hello from St. Louis, Missouri.
I used to enjoy detecting when I was younger with an old Radio Shack Machine. I have been out of the hobby for quite awhile, boy was I surprised to see how far technology has progressed from then until now.
With so many good detectors on the market the choice was tough to make but in the end I decided to order a new AT Pro. Should be here in a couple of days. Now all I need is lots of patience and practice.
Oh well should be fun.

Welcome from South Carolina !!!!

This AT Pro video series might be of help, here is part 1 of a 4 part series they made, after part 1 you should see where you can click for part 2 and so on -

I have seen them all. I watched them before I ordered it, but thanks anyway.
Seems like a nice detector and I like to go in the water so I think it should work out for me.

Welcome to the site

I am in O'Fallon MO. Been really dry here for the last coupple of months hard to dig a good plug. Mostly been hitting play grounds with wood chips till we get some decent rain here. A good place to get to know your new machine might be frontier Park in St.charles , it is a nice big park running along the river there. There are lots of festivals and activities there all year round . Be a good place to test out that machine , and learn it.

I'm actually in Chesterfield. I planned on dialing in my new AT Pro on my own property first. Then hitting up my neighbors where I stand the best chance of not getting doors slammed in my face.

I'd love to try out Frontier Park it does seem like a good testing grounds, but have you been there yourself? I just pulled this off of St. Charles County Parks website....

"Use Of Metal Detectors Or Other Means Of Archeological Excavation And Exploration. Metal detectors, shovels and other instruments for archeological excavation and exploration are prohibited in County parks without proper authorization. Authorization for metal detection or other means of archeological excavation and exploration may be issued by the Director for certain areas and shall be subject to such regulations as are herein set forth or may be hereafter adopted by the Director."

Makes me wonder if it's cool or not.

Welcome From West Virginia!!!! Just started detecting in July. I also opted for the AT Pro. So far seems to be a great machine. Haven't had much time to get out the last few weeks...Still learning the machine. Very easy to get the basics down, now I just need to get out and put it to a little more use....:laughing:

Frontier park Ok to detect

I'm actually in Chesterfield. I planned on dialing in my new AT Pro on my own property first. Then hitting up my neighbors where I stand the best chance of not getting doors slammed in my face.

I'd love to try out Frontier Park it does seem like a good testing grounds, but have you been there yourself? I just pulled this off of St. Charles County Parks website....

"Use Of Metal Detectors Or Other Means Of Archeological Excavation And Exploration. Metal detectors, shovels and other instruments for archeological excavation and exploration are prohibited in County parks without proper authorization. Authorization for metal detection or other means of archeological excavation and exploration may be issued by the Director for certain areas and shall be subject to such regulations as are herein set forth or may be hereafter adopted by the Director."

Makes me wonder if it's cool or not.
I and others hunt it regular bases they have the 4 th of July celebration , the Festival of the little hills , concerts at the band stand , and lots of other events. There are frequently carnival ride and beer tents on the property. I see park workers out there all the time they just wave as long as you are not leaving holes. I found my first silver ring out there. It is also the area Lewis & Clark wintered before starting their trip but the soil has beenn moved around some since then. It is a huge park running along the river and Katy trail. Thousands of people use that park every year look up pictures of Festival of the little hill, or go on the St. Charles city website. I got there early one morning after their 3 day, 4th of july celebration , at least i thought i was early there was a old detector about 90 he showed me a hand full of clad he had already recovered. But like i said never had any hassles there yet, also a great place to take your dog.

I and others hunt it regular bases they have the 4 th of July celebration , the Festival of the little hills , concerts at the band stand , and lots of other events. There are frequently carnival ride and beer tents on the property. I see park workers out there all the time they just wave as long as you are not leaving holes. I found my first silver ring out there. It is also the area Lewis & Clark wintered before starting their trip but the soil has beenn moved around some since then. It is a huge park running along the river and Katy trail. Thousands of people use that park every year look up pictures of Festival of the little hill, or go on the St. Charles city website. I got there early one morning after their 3 day, 4th of july celebration , at least i thought i was early there was a old detector about 90 he showed me a hand full of clad he had already recovered. But like i said never had any hassles there yet, also a great place to take your dog.

That is great news! Thanks for the heads up. My dogs and I appreciate it so much. Do you visit other St. Charles city parks ( I see there is like 20 something) or just that one? The quote I left earlier saying that metal detecting was prohibited was in St. Charles county parks not St. Charles city parks. I did not realize that they were separate. St. Charles city parks rules mention nothing to do with metal detecting, so I would take it you can go to any of the city parks and search away. Sound right?

St. charles parks

That is great news! Thanks for the heads up. My dogs and I appreciate it so much. Do you visit other St. Charles city parks ( I see there is like 20 something) or just that one? The quote I left earlier saying that metal detecting was prohibited was in St. Charles county parks not St. Charles city parks. I did not realize that they were separate. St. Charles city parks rules mention nothing to do with metal detecting, so I would take it you can go to any of the city parks and search away. Sound right?

That is the only one i have hit so far it is huge, and some of the events there draw huge numbers of people. Any park that has fireworks ,live music, vendors,beer are good combinations for coins. The fact they have done it for many years increases the odds of finding good signals. I also hit some St. peters parks as well, older schools , Rotary Park in Wentzville where they have the county fair and the Renisance fair. While the ground is like a rock see if you can find a sand volley ball court or two. There is a large sports complex in your area see if you can check the socker side lines.Any area that has wood chips around the playground is great in this dry weather. Hope this gives you some ideas.

That is the only one i have hit so far it is huge, and some of the events there draw huge numbers of people. Any park that has fireworks ,live music, vendors,beer are good combinations for coins. The fact they have done it for many years increases the odds of finding good signals. I also hit some St. peters parks as well, older schools , Rotary Park in Wentzville where they have the county fair and the Renisance fair. While the ground is like a rock see if you can find a sand volley ball court or two. There is a large sports complex in your area see if you can check the socker side lines.Any area that has wood chips around the playground is great in this dry weather. Hope this gives you some ideas.

Great tips! Thanks so much.

Just wanted to say thanks for the warm welcome everybody. This tons of knowledge found on this forum has been greatly helpful for getting even more enjoyment out of this wonderful hobby.

Back
Top Bottom