Merc to Rosie ratio

Kat_Poops

Just a personal observation.. I know mercury dimes were minted about twice as long as pre 65 Rosie dimes, but to me I find about 5 Mercs for every Rosie. I'm not complaining by no means. Just wondering if anyone else has this "problem".

Same here. I've always thought that the rosies were scooped up by earlier hunters, being that rosies were minted later, and were a bit shallower in soil depth.

My ratio seems to favor more Rosies than Mercs. It might have to do with where I hunt though. Most of my silver dimes have been found in my neighborhood that was built in the early 50's. I'm finding about 3 Rosies for every Merc.

It seems that way. Those darn pesky Mercs :)I've saved every piece of silver that I've found since the 90's.
I will audit my finds tonight and let you know my actual ratio.

I've found 3 mercurys and 7 rosies, but I have also been searching areas that were built in the 50's.

People have been losing Merc's since 1916. They only started losing rosies in 1946. Merc's stayed in circulation after 1946. Come 1965, when coins were to be minted in clad instead of silver, people started pulling them out of circulation.

So, 30 years of merc mintage (and likely 48 years of circulation) compared to 18 years of silver rosie mintage and circulation...

Just a personal observation.. I know mercury dimes were minted about twice as long as pre 65 Rosie dimes, but to me I find about 5 Mercs for every Rosie. I'm not complaining by no means. Just wondering if anyone else has this "problem".

My Merc to Rosie ratio is Zero to one.

LOL

I don't think I have that problem.

My Merc to Rosie ratio is Zero to one.

LOL

I don't think I have that problem.

I was in the same boat until this morning, but then I doubled my Rosie collection at a small park in SW PA! I now have a 0 to 2 merc to Rosie ratio :grin:

An observation of my own: I know I have a very small, unscientific sample size given that I've only be at this since April and I only have 3 silvers total, but the trend I'm seeing is that I've found every one of those silvers in parks - absolutely none on private land. Might be worth a thread of it's own!

Ok, so in my on again off again metal detecting career I have found 11 Barbers, 30 Mercs and 49 Rosies. Not the ratio I thought it was. Maybe because in the last month it's been 4 Mercs and 1 Rosie.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Not a ton of either but without going down and doing an exact count I think I'm at roughly 6 or 7 Mercs vs 2-3 Rosies, Heck got more Barbers than Rosies for that matter.

I was in the same boat until this morning, but then I doubled my Rosie collection at a small park in SW PA! I now have a 0 to 2 merc to Rosie ratio :grin:

An observation of my own: I know I have a very small, unscientific sample size given that I've only be at this since April and I only have 3 silvers total, but the trend I'm seeing is that I've found every one of those silvers in parks - absolutely none on private land. Might be worth a thread of it's own!

KAPOW!!! Doubled your take in one hunt! :)

About even,it goes in streaks,depending on where I'm hunting. Older ball fields...more Mercs. Post 40's sites...more Rosie's. I try to stay on the old turf,as even older stuff tends to show up there also. Like Nectar said and I'm sure is the case across the board,dimes are the bread and butter of the silver coin hunter. Easier to lose,harder to eyeball. Neither one ever gets old!

Back
Top Bottom