Picked up new Cz455 American 22lr,,look at how the Gemtech ammo shoots in it

I have never personally fooled with 22 ppc.
It did take the target round shooting away from the 222 round.
Has to do more with the ignition of the Ppc making it more accurate shot for shot.

Thats the thing.....accuracy...I gotta ramp up some reading to see what the results are regarding the 22PPC for the past 25yrs since I've been out of the Sport for so long...Just thinking maybe I'd like to have a supersub moa rig to dink around with once more...and of course, occasionally call in and tip over a few yotes for old times sake with a really balanced and dead on rig...

Performance is actually wasted on a guy like me though..I'm not a good shot at all, and have to get things in close, so any old rig would probably be sufficient for me...still, that round has captured my interest for years and would be fun to diddle around with I'm thinking...:?:

Last edited:
Problem with the air rifles in .22 is they lose power and accuracy at any kind of decent range not to mention no stopping power. I'll take a nice 10/22 anyday. I bought a .22 pellet rifle last year to deal with Raccoons and other pests that were trying to kill my chickens. The .22 pellet rifle at close range (head shot) would not even kill a raccoon.

You just have the wrong air rifle. You can hunt every big game animal in this country with an air rifle. Don't want to hijack, so I'm going to post a thread on airguns.

This gun is American model,,no sights,,but has synthetic stock.
Pretty lightweight.

Trigger needs work,,loads of creep and a little heavy (2lbs).
I already am working the trigger job myself with some parts.

The 2 five shot groups on the left in the one inch target dot...,shot with Gemtech ammo.
Distance a lasered 40 yards. Scope dialed to 6x.
I have only fired the gun around 45 times,,need to get used to it.

It is a shooter IMO. Especially for $364.

What makes a good squirrel rifle??
One that will shoot first shot pretty good out of a cold barrel.

The groups above I shot yesterday dialing in the scope.
The group below,,only 3 shots,on a cold barrel,,Gemtech ammo again,,lasered 40 yards,,scope again dialed to 6x,,,a slight left to right wind blowing.

I like this big time.
A good shooter I think.
More testing with each passing day.

Hey tn why are you using a great big target for a forty yard shot? I use a half inch dot for 75 or 100 hundred yard shots, because that is the smallest dot I could find. I like shooting on the smallest target I can see, that way the gun is sighted in good, not close to good.

Hey tn why are you using a great big target for a forty yard shot? I use a half inch dot for 75 or 100 hundred yard shots, because that is the smallest dot I could find. I like shooting on the smallest target I can see, that way the gun is sighted in good, not close to good.

I always use 1" target dots.
Forty yards is a good range for me to check consistency or 22lr.
Keeps the wind more out of play.

I started shooting a 22 before I was 5 years old. I always shot on the smallest targets I could find. Shooting a 177 cal pellet rifle I would shoot the pegs from a battleship game at 10-15 yards. I sighted in rifles for people that I knew.

Still haven't bore sighted it yet, but here is my .17 hmr.

Attachments

• rig.jpg
    rig.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 441
  • .17hmr.jpg
    .17hmr.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 413
I used to buy .22 in a size smaller than short. They were used for carnival shooting ranges back in the day. There was no gun powder just the primer. They were quieter than a air gun and worked well on varmints less than 50 foot. I've asked for them at a few gun shops and most have never heard of them. I thought maybe one of you gun guys might know if they are still available.

Those were CB caps or BB caps , and they are made by Flobert. BB caps are a round projectile, and CB caps are pointed.
Oh, and they are 6mm, not .22, but people used to shoot them out of .22's (part of why they had such limited accurate range).

Last edited:
.22 rimfire CB caps are still manufactured. I believe CCI makes them, and probably a few other companies. I used to shoot them out of a full length bolt action Remington sporter back in the 1980's, and yes, they are extremely quiet. If you look at the ammo websites, you will eventually find some for sale.

ETA: I found this: http://www.cci-ammunition.com/products/detail.aspx?use=1&loadNo=0026

...and this... https://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/22-cb-short-29-grain-100-rounds?a=476500

Have fun! :D

.22 rimfire CB caps are still manufactured. I believe CCI makes them, and probably a few other companies. I used to shoot them out of a full length bolt action Remington sporter back in the 1980's, and yes, they are extremely quiet. If you look at the ammo websites, you will eventually find some for sale.

ETA: I found this: http://www.cci-ammunition.com/products/detail.aspx?use=1&loadNo=0026

...and this... https://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/22-cb-short-29-grain-100-rounds?a=476500

Have fun! :D
It's not the same round as what the gallery guns shot, but the CCI CB Longs and CB Shorts are still available.
Even Remington used to make what they called CBee Caps, but they have been discontinued.

The Flobert CB caps and BB caps have an acorn headstamp, and you can still find them some places, or they can be ordered.

Last edited:
I used to buy .22 in a size smaller than short. They were used for carnival shooting ranges back in the day. There was no gun powder just the primer. They were quieter than a air gun and worked well on varmints less than 50 foot. I've asked for them at a few gun shops and most have never heard of them. I thought maybe one of you gun guys might know if they are still available.
You're talking about CB caps. I have not noticed any at places you normally buy ammo but have seen some at gun shows.

I have an old (2012) Midway USA catalog they are listed in mfg. by CCI, launching a 29gr. bullet at 710 f.p.s.

Midway toll free number: 1-800-243-3220

Sent from my LG-V495 using Tapatalk

Given the record number of sales the last several years, I'd be surprised if there weren't a lot more here than you might think. We can probably have an ongoing thread as long as we don't post anything too graphic or political.

TNS: Those CZ's really are sweet shooters. I'd have one if I wanted another standard stocked .22LR, but I've shifted gears the last few years, and I've been spending a small fortune on my centerfires.

RTLHD: That MKII is a gem! I'm kind of a fan of Savage rifles anyway. As a matter of fact, I just picked up an AXIS .223, and I'm already thinking about a chassis for it.
I have a .223 Axis that I am working on.It is now a .223 Ackley improved, I modified and installed a accu trigger on it and a redone the bolt handle. It is set at 10 ounce trigger pull. I need to get after bedding the laminated stock. I got the solid pillars in and started contouring for the bull barrel fit. I might scrap it and look into a thumbhole stock pre cut for a bull barrel.DSC03156.JPG

DSC03157.JPG

I have a .223 Axis that I am working on.It is now a .223 Ackley improved, I modified and installed a accu trigger on it and a redone the bolt handle. It is set at 10 ounce trigger pull. I need to get after bedding the laminated stock. I got the solid pillars in and started contouring for the bull barrel fit. I might scrap it and look into a thumbhole stock pre cut for a bull barrel.View attachment 389067

View attachment 389068
Sweet!
Opening up a barrel channel is a HUGE pain if you don't have the right set of tools for the job. I've got a set of channel rasps that I've had for 40yrs, and I can't imagine doing some of the work I've done without them.

I still haven't convinced myself that I need a chassis for my Axis. It's intended use is as a field piece, so I really don't want to make it any heavier. I've already got enough heavy guns. A Rifle Basix trigger may end up being it's only significant upgrade.

Here is one of my latest projects.

20in On The Range_4.jpg

It's not the same round as what the gallery guns shot, but the CCI CB Longs and CB Shorts are still available.
Even Remington used to make what they called CBee Caps, but they have been discontinued.

The Flobert CB caps and BB caps have an acorn headstamp, and you can still find them some places, or they can be ordered.

Thanks I'll look for them. I have the CB shorts now and they are a little too loud for in town use. I don't need them very often, I try my best to live in harmony with the local wildlife, but sometimes that gopher has to die.

Back
Top Bottom