I'm so Tired!

Mud-puppy

Forum Supporter
Did I ever tell you how much I hate drysanding? It is definitely the most strenuous genre in this Sport! I'm up at 4 and out the door, racing down to the vast sand wastelands before the sandcats sweep away all the tracks from the night before...

They dont get the rings or coins, those slip between the rakes, but they do get all the towels and wallets, cell phones and shoes, cans and bottles, so a guy is in a race against the sandcats!

I pull up the beachcam to check on the surf conditions...Even in the dark, the Big Full Moon told me what I dreaded to see...heavy onshore surf, so its gonna be a drysand morning! Ohhh looord! I took 2 aspirin, ate a banana and a peach, slugged down 1/2 gal of coffee, tucked some paper towels in my pants pockets just in case...I'm gonna be hating this!:laughing:

So a guy gets out and flings the light gear (chopped and modded F70, small scoop) and smoke jumps the hotspots! Running and gunning like mad to cover some real estate!...I was completely exhausted by Sun-up with a couple bucks clad and some cans to show for it...maybe $3 total...probably 5 miles of walking barefoot and swinging coil...

I did find a perfect longshore rip! See Pics! You guys woulda loved it! It was really rolling along and plowing right down to the hardpack tight to shore!! Right in a sweet spot too!

Thought about hiking back up to Rosie and swapping out my light gear for the appropriate tools for the job...I was just so damn worn out, exhausted! I said the hellwiddit and came home...I need a nap and its only 9:30am! I will be glad when this is over! I hate drysanding!:laughing: I did pick up some beer though, so that helps...
Mud

Attachments

• rip.jpg
    rip.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 363
  • rip1.jpg
    rip1.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 364
I hate the dry too, takes twice the work to walk in... And Amen to the Nap!

People that have never beach hunted have no idea how tiring it is. I work in a factory and people laugh at me when I tell them how physical it is. How does the F70 work in the dry? I assume you love the weight. Does it hit deep? I am using the Makro Racer 2 w/ Nel Hunter coil because it is very stable in the salty wet sand. If I want to drop down the slope I can do it. But I'm just not sold on the depth. I was just thinking of sticking with the hip mounted Sovereign and giving up on the target ID machine all together.

I hate the dry too, takes twice the work to walk in... And Amen to the Nap!

Right? Dry sand is definitely the hardest matrix for a humanoid biped to walk in...I dont see how those people play volleyball on it...I got a good pattern and set up, I have the 'Tall Mans' lower rod, quick reaction gear, running full tones with NO disc....the damned old early morning dew makes the sand stick to the coil even with the fins cut off, so a guy has to stop and wipe it off occasionally.

I 'StoopNstagger' with a wide legged gait and can swing a measured 12'arc on the towel line, it wraps around 270degrees per swing even...Down and back and off to the sides in the high travel zones...High flying that coil and snatching all signals...I aint missing much...The idea is to cover as much profitable ground as fast as possible, and not miss a thing from a chain to a ring that was dropped the night before..so Yeah, foil......

I use that scoop like an axe with an overhead swing and dont diddle around to look at the finds...But still, down and back and hopping from beach to beach on a 20 mile stretch just flat wears a guy out...

This am, with the full Moon, it was so bright out, I was twirling and swinging to keep an eye on my six for somebody sneaking up on me...Not a relaxing way to hunt at all...But it does pay off sometimes, and thats what keeps me doing it, even though I dread the thought and every step of it...I bet theres 20 guys out there now, cutting nice little 4' arcs and taking it easy with a vegetable colander for a scoop. What an addiction! They aint gonna be finding any cans though!:laughing:
Mud

Attachments

• cans 62213.jpg
    cans 62213.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 345
  • gold.jpg
    gold.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 335
Last edited:
People that have never beach hunted have no idea how tiring it is. I work in a factory and people laugh at me when I tell them how physical it is. How does the F70 work in the dry? I assume you love the weight. Does it hit deep? I am using the Makro Racer 2 w/ Nel Hunter coil because it is very stable in the salty wet sand. If I want to drop down the slope I can do it. But I'm just not sold on the depth. I was just thinking of sticking with the hip mounted Sovereign and giving up on the target ID machine all together.

Well Goody, Good to see you again old Top! There aint nothing faster or more powerful than an F70 with an 11" dd coil for quick brooming freshies! I set up in DP tones...so on the first fast pass I know if the target is a nickel, or a Q, or iron or foil and how deep it is just on the tones and proportional audio feedback..I get a lot of multidenom spills that would drive another rig crazy...got a few again this morning...

I swing that damned thing like its a weedwacker....It hits deep if you want it to, and I can hunt the black sand slope just fine....I never GB it even...I just turn it on and go...!

I think the thing about your Racer and the 70..you gotta set it up stable, which sometimes means really backing off on the power, running in audio tones that make complete sense to you, especially at night...tones and target size/profile being the imperative... and then really whip that sucker for optimum results on account of the very fast recovery they have...

I believe they were both built way beyond a normal Humans capabilities for quick brooming shallow freshies...of course, theres better rigs for slow mopping deeper targets...At this time of the year and on my dry sand beaches, its all about getting up early, SPEED and hunting profitable Human travel patterns ground coverage moreso than depth...

Most of the stuff I'm finding was lost not 24hrs ago...any more than that and it gets scarfed up by all the other guys that are just now showing up...
Mud

Last edited:
When I do the dry sand with my XTerra, I get no where near the wet.
Like you, I make that call early as to which MD I'm going to be using by checking out the surf/beach cam. Either way, I'm out before or at early sunup. Takes no time at all in this South Florida climate to be in the mid to upper 80's in a flash. After a couple hours of trudging through our loose/soft sugar sand, I'm pretty much spent and ready to hit the AC.
DL

Some day I'm going to have to give the dry a serious try...

Sweet dreams nappypoo...

<°)))>{

I'm actually one of those guys that enjoys dry sanding. I just refuse to do it in this heat and humidity. When the late fall and winter come I'll do some.

I'm actually one of those guys that enjoys dry sanding. I just refuse to do it in this heat and humidity. When the late fall and winter come I'll do some.

Yea I gotta agree with Felix on this one. I enjoy dry sands as well but during the summer heat and humidity I stay in the water to stay cool. I e pulled a lot of rings and other bling outta the dry sand. But to each his own. HH and GL

I LOATH dry sanding. I might get a lot of coin, but I feel like I'm just sweeping an area in hopes of a target. It's like the luck of the draw and it's usually just fresh drop coins. I prefer prospecting the slope to the water, finding pockets where targets collect, then greenies, and hopefully heavies. That's when I feel like it's a hunt. But when it's sanded, well, a Raider's got to do what a Raider's got to do...

R5

I run the same rig.

Its all dry sand here and no water in the desert. I do envy you guys. Hard days work will never hurt ya they used to tell me, thats bunk.

I LOATH dry sanding. I might get a lot of coin, but I feel like I'm just sweeping an area in hopes of a target. It's like the luck of the draw and it's usually just fresh drop coins. I prefer prospecting the slope to the water, finding pockets where targets collect, then greenies, and hopefully heavies. That's when I feel like it's a hunt. But when it's sanded, well, a Raider's got to do what a Raider's got to do...

R5
Same here. Greenies, lead and blackened silver really get me going. Sometimes you can almost anticipate finding gold in the wet sand under certain conditions. In the dry sand it seems so unpredictable. :yes:

Water hunting= poker (experience can come into play, more skill, more kill)

Dry Sand= roulette (luck, but the more spins, the better chances at a winner, at some point)

That's sorta how I see it...

<°)))>{

I worked the beach today. Dry sand Wet sand and underwater sand. today was a Lincoln/zincoln kind of day. 40 of the danged things. Five city blocks and back. I am one tired old man.

two pieces of junk jewelry and $2.80 in clad was all I could scrape out of the sand today.

Maybe next week.

I worked the beach today. Dry sand Wet sand and underwater sand. today was a Lincoln/zincoln kind of day. 40 of the danged things. Five city blocks and back. I am one tired old man.

two pieces of junk jewelry and $2.80 in clad was all I could scrape out of the sand today.

Maybe next week.
George I sure hope I can hold as well as you..:iwish: your 80?

Back
Top Bottom