Digging abroad - my best field ever.

Aquila

Some time ago we, my friend and me, decided to go hunting at new place. We're hunting together for a year now, but sometimes... well, let's say we like this hobby so much that after few weeks of winter we just can't stand it anymore and need to go out even for a while. Of course it's not always the best idea, like our trip we made few weeks ago:

idiota.jpg

It was cold, ground was frozen solid, we had to dig one small hole for ten to fifteen minutes and all we found that day were just WWII bullets. Of course fortunately winter always ends and snow always melts, but, on the other hand, that's not always that good:

IMG_20151213_115047.jpg

IMG_20151213_115054.jpg

IMG_20151213_124347.jpg

But weather conditions are not the only things we need to worry about. 99% of the people we met are nice, friendly and informative. For example the owner of the "best field ever" (more about it later) not only told us that "we may detect there whenever we want, and treat his land as if it were our own" - he also told us where may be other interesting places to hunt and where other detectorist like to detect in the neighborhood. But sometimes places look dangerous and creepy. Alf was lucky to crash his spaceship on top of friendly American family's house. This member of his species who crashed where we decided to hunt was not so lucky, and was quickly put on display - a more than clear sign "LEAVE THIS AREA OR WE WILL HANG YOUR GUTTED CORPSE NEXT TO THIS ONE".

20150221_120011.jpg

But you all love this hobby as much as we do. There's this incredible fun when you find new cool coin - you may not see it, but I was definately happy on that photo:

20150228_112300.jpg

Especially when you come across such situation:

IMG_20151205_114148.jpg

When a small silver coin from late XVth century is just lying on the ground like that ;)

But let's get back to our best field ever. Usually I'm doing the research and finding places with higher potential. So I picked a large field close to small river. We went there and spoke with the owner. As I said earlier - there was no problem with obtaining his permit. I'd also like to mention that when we were going to that field we were talking about what happened the day before on our forum - one guy, quite popular there, found his first Roman coin - and it was a Vespasian - the emperor I'd love to have in my collection. So for the entire way I was explaining to my friend that Vespasian's denarius - it's the coin I'd love to finally find.

The field was nice, though there was no pottery at all - and when you look for old finds - you should always look for pottery shards, that's the best advice around here. This field did not have any pottery shards on it, so we began to worry a bit. Moreover - for the first 30 minutes or more - all we found was trash. I did not find any coin in the first 30 minutes - and that's a terrible sign. And then... no, it wasn't me. My friend started to dance. And I knew what that meant. He found a Roman coin and it looked like it was a... Vespasian's coin. You can imagine how I felt back then ;) Roman coins are my absolutely favourite ones. We narrowed our search and after another 30 minutes or maybe more... I found it. It was definately very, very Roman-like. And when I cleaned a bit I saw very worn out definately ancient head visible on it. But that's not everything - about 15 minutes later I managed to find another, this time in much better condition!

Here are my two denarii from that day:

20160213_150446.jpg

20160213_150500.jpg

And here are our all three of them from that day:

20160213_150527.jpg

20160213_150607.jpg

The first one, as it later turned out, was my oldest coin I've found with my metal detector. It's a Roman republican denarius of Publius Crepusius, minted in Rome in 82 BC with laureate head of Apollo on the obverse and horseman on the reverse.

IMG_9249.jpg

IMG_9250.jpg

It was absolutely mindblowing, my previous oldest coin found while detecting was Trajan's denarius from 101/102 AD, so this coin beat previous one by more than 180 years! But it turned out that the second coin I've found that day was even... BETTER!

IMG_9380.jpg

IMG_9381.jpg

It is a denarius minted in Rome in 54 BC by... Marcus Junius... Brutus. Yes - THIS Brutus who stabbed Julius Caesar. There's head of Liberty on obverse and accensus (poor soldier from the early years of the Republic), two lictors and a consul walking left on reverse. Hardly visible, below them, there's written "BRVTVS".

And later that day also turned out that my friend's one was not a Vespasian's, but Titus' denarius - even rarer coin than we previously thought since Vespasian ruled for 10 years while Titus only for 2.

There was no other option - our next hunt had to be on the same field. We returned there next week and...

20160227_111632.jpg

20160227_111650.jpg

I managed to find another Roman republican denarius, this time "serratus" - with serrated edge (they were made that way to show people who were using them that they are "good" - made fully of good quality silver and not of copper core with thin, silver plating). It was minted in Rome in 79 BC by L. Papius. There's head of Juno Sospita on the obverse and gryphon running right on reverse.

IMG_9496.jpg

IMG_9497.jpg

There was no more Romans on that field for us unfortunately, but on our way back we stopped on another field and there was an absolute surprise waiting for us. We get out of the car, I took my stuff and went further from the road when I saw my friend... dancing again :D He found beautiful Trajan's denarius just two meters from his parked car.

20160227_150833.jpg

20160227_150901.jpg

So in two days we managed to find five stunning Roman coins (plus few other, also nice ones). We are surely going to return there once the fields will be ploughed again!

Good lord those are some sweet finds. One of those coins would be a lifetime find for me. Awesome hunt. Congrats.

Did you ever dream you would make finds like this when you started out three years ago ?

Holy Bleep! What a great hunt, post, pics and write up! Congratulations on those amazing coins! Thank you very much for the sharing!
Mud

Thank you for the history on those coins! Great write up! Would definitely like to see more of your finds. Great job on the research and congrats on some truly amazing finds!

G2M

Did you ever dream you would make finds like this when you started out three years ago ?

Well, to be honest the answer is both yes and no. Yes, because before I bought my first MD I was already actively looking at other people's finds on our forum. And I saw that others dig tons of cool coins, Roman, Arabic, medieval, silvers that have more than 300 years... So I knew from the beginning that I will find such treasures too. But... unfortunately to find such beauties you need to find the specific spot - they are not lying everywhere. And actually there is still a lot of coins I've seen on the forums but never found myself. At the beginning I thought that finding silver that is 500 years old is quite easy. Now I know it's still terribly difficult and I have real trouble finding them which can be a bit frustrating.

And no, because I would never think I'd one day find three such beautiful republican denarii.

If you like stories, I can tell you how I found my first Roman denarius, because I remember it well and for me it's quite a nice story.

I did not went on "roman quest" that day, I just decided to dig a bit on the fields just few kilometers from my home. It was a hot, sunny day, and while summers here are not as hot as in Florida, Texas or California, it was still pretty hot that day. Actually I think it was one of the warmest weeks in that year. Of course I took the water with me, and decided to go on bike - I prefer going up to 20 km (up to 40 km there and back) on bike, it's relaxing and quite healthy too. I wandered a bit where I planned to dig but I found nothing. So I decided to go a bit further. Again - there was nothing. So a bit further. And further. And actually I ended about 25 km from my home, exactly on the opposite side of the huge river and almost exactly between two bridges leading to the other side of the river - the side I live. I spotted a small meadow and a field next to it, unfortunately on the field something was growing already (barley I think), so I decided to check the meadow. It was disappointingly empty. As I mentioned - the day was extremely hot. So I took off the shirt (friend later explained that it was a good idea after all - if you want to find a Roman coin then you should dress like one - "like gladiator" he said :D ) and decided to return to my bike and go elsewhere. Meadow was checked, so I was just walking at its egde and holding my coil above small strip of sand between it and neighbouring barley field. And suddenly - ding! I dug a hole in the sand and...

IMG_9325.jpg

IMG_9326_Recovered.jpg

My first one, Commodus. I was so happy! So I checked the whole meadow again but there was nothing more. Ok, I started going home, but, as I said, I was still quite far away from it and there was very hot that day. I was beginning to run out of water, because I took quite a small bottle with me ("why should I take bigger, I'm just going only few kilometers from my home"- I said to myself when I was leaving home). And of course... I did not take my wallet with me ("why should I? I'll just check few fields close to my home and I'll be back soon" - as I thought when I was leaving home...). I had to ration my water but it didn't last for long. 6 kilometers from my home I ran out of it. But in nearest shop, where I asked for tap water one guy just bought me mineral instead ;) So I was quite exhausted when I returned home, travelled a lot more than I planned, but with my first Roman coin - and one of my most beautiful to this day.

Few months later I returned there and saw that one spot, quite close to the spot where I found this denarius, is now ready to be checked. Previously there was a very high grass and it was quite impossible to sweep there, now the grass was cut and I decided to check it. And, after few months and only two meters from the exact spot I found my first Roman silver:

Zdj_cie034.jpg

Zdj_cie037.jpg

IMG_8035.jpg

IMG_8037.jpg

Emperor Trajan with Hercules holding club and lion skin on reverse.

I'm so glad that I started detecting. I liked coins since childhood - there was always a small wooden box with various coins inside - even such exotic ones like Pakistan, Canada ( :D ) or Egypt. The oldest one was 1 kopek from 1883. And right now, after I bought my detector, my collection has grown so much and now I have coins that I would never thought I'll have.

The people in Europe have it even better then the people in the north east of the US. Just think if those coins could tell their over 2000 years stories

Back
Top Bottom