Pensacola Florida info needed

MadTownScoop

Elite Member
I have a few questions about detecting in Pensacola Florida. What are the rules/laws about the beach detecting. As far as detecting near, lets say the Pensacola beach, fishing pier area and the surrounding hotels. Where does the hotel's property line end? Can I just walk up and down the beach detecting so long as I dont go along the beach in front of a private home? Is there a "normal high tide mark" Rule? Can I go into the water up to my shoulders or waist? If I think of any more questions along this thread I'll bring them up. Anyone down there willing to share a partial day with me on some decent ground or beach? I'll be down May 5th -11th with my cousin and uncle for lots of fishing but if nothing is going on one day, night or mid day I'd love to get together with someone and see what it's like to possibly have a good day at the beach. Small silver rings and one 14k for me here in Wis. Beaches in Madison are pretty hard hit by my friend and a few others from this forum. And thats only the people we know detect here. Thanks in advance for any info and/or sharing of beaches with me.

Florida is not here any longer. We broke off and floated away.

Really, you can hunt where you want. Private property ends at the dunes. You can hunt anywhere on the beach and into the water from the dunes.

I actually just got back from detecting there today. You can detect in the water, as long as its not off the state park "Fort Pickens". There is plenty of beach to hunt down by the fishing pier, not needing to interfere with homes as they are waaayyy down the beach. It's mostly hotels on the gulf side, the sound side is condo's. Not too may people out there swinging, im usually there by myself in the surf.

This is what I found here today, water was too choppy so was only out for an hour.

Attachments

• photo (2).jpg
    photo (2).jpg
    42 KB · Views: 1,309
When I come down Im staying in a condo thats 1000 yards from the Ft Pickens entry sign. Where public parking lots and such end. I think its actually called "High seas Inn" or something like that. At least thats what the sign on Google earth says. Im over looking the bay just to the west side of the pier for that property. Man, I'd love to get me some goodies and have some luck down there. Not sure how much time I'm gonna have between fishing but I'm sure I could make some time. So I can just walk down the beach along the front of the Hotels so long as I dont go up into their "Patios" and/or fenced off areas then eh? I thought I read someplace that anything found in the water of any age or antique value is subject to claim by others as "Salvage"??? or something of that like. Professional treasure hunters looking for gold from spanish ships or such? Who knows. Maybe it's old regs I was reading or just specific laws for state parks. So, I guess my next question is, Is there anyone willing to share a few hours or a "good" area with me for a day or few hours? Obviously I cant hunt it every day so my cashing in on your fav spot would not be an issue. Just want to increase my chances of finding things. I know coins are a given along with sinkers and the like. Like all of us I'm hoping to find some "Goodies" Since up here they are getting more and more rare to find with my friend and another guy other than myself with AT-pros and water machines. Thanks for the info everyone. I look forward to possibly meeting some/few of you while down there. I'll have my lap top so I can check in.

When I come down Im staying in a condo thats 1000 yards from the Ft Pickens entry sign. Where public parking lots and such end. I think its actually called "High seas Inn" or something like that. At least thats what the sign on Google earth says. Im over looking the bay just to the west side of the pier for that property. Man, I'd love to get me some goodies and have some luck down there. Not sure how much time I'm gonna have between fishing but I'm sure I could make some time. So I can just walk down the beach along the front of the Hotels so long as I dont go up into their "Patios" and/or fenced off areas then eh? I thought I read someplace that anything found in the water of any age or antique value is subject to claim by others as "Salvage"??? or something of that like. Professional treasure hunters looking for gold from spanish ships or such? Who knows. Maybe it's old regs I was reading or just specific laws for state parks. So, I guess my next question is, Is there anyone willing to share a few hours or a "good" area with me for a day or few hours? Obviously I cant hunt it every day so my cashing in on your fav spot would not be an issue. Just want to increase my chances of finding things. I know coins are a given along with sinkers and the like. Like all of us I'm hoping to find some "Goodies" Since up here they are getting more and more rare to find with my friend and another guy other than myself with AT-pros and water machines. Thanks for the info everyone. I look forward to possibly meeting some/few of you while down there. I'll have my lap top so I can check in.

My favorite spot is by where you're staying. That area is called chicken bone beach, There is NO way you could cover enough area to bleed out my spots ;] Where the fort pickens sign is, immedatily to the left there is a pavilion I go out to the gulf side. That is not state park territory so anything before that sign you're golden.

I have yet to try the sound side, had more luck on the ocean side. Shoot me a PM when you come down and I can show you some good spots. What kind of machine do you have?

The salvage rights pertain to the wreck site only. Supposedly there is a rule if an "artifact" is more than 50 years old it belongs to the state and you have to put it back in the water. What defies an artifact? that's up to speculation. No one is going to give you any hassle for it.

What defies an artifact? that's up to speculation. No one is going to give you any hassle for it.
Artifacts are projectile points, stone or bone tools, pottery, bottles, and metallic human fashioned objects or human remains. Jewelry, coins and pull tabs are not included unless you find a ring from the 1800's. You are not going to find that there. :yes: On the beach you can keep what you want. Just leave the human remains. :laughing:

Artifacts are projectile points, stone or bone tools, pottery, bottles, and metallic human fashioned objects or human remains. Jewelry, coins and pull tabs are not included unless you find a ring from the 1800's. You are not going to find that there. :yes: On the beach you can keep what you want. Just leave the human remains. :laughing:

How about a 60 year old pull tab :lol: Relic? :laughing:

I tell you what, If I find human remains. IM OUTTA THERE> I want nothing to do with bad mojo, Had enough of that when I was 12 and broke a mirror.. It broke into exactly 7 pieces.

Shavnore, I will be arriving on May 5th (my birthday ironically) and leaving the following Sat am. I think thats the 11th. So, sometime in there hopefully we can hook up for a while. I wonder how many people swim off the pier behind the condo's im staying in? Wonder if it's worth a scan or no. I should check with the guy Im renting from and see if the complex has any rules against it but then again, I'd be in the water and they dont own that. :)

Thanks for the info guys. And YEAH,, I know Pcola is north of Tampa. :):) But its south of where I am now. LOL

What happens if im holding a ring from the 1800's and drop it? Does it belong to the state?

I tell you what, If I find human remains. IM OUTTA THERE> I want nothing to do with bad mojo, Had enough of that when I was 12 and broke a mirror.. It broke into exactly 7 pieces.

Shavnore, I will be arriving on May 5th (my birthday ironically) and leaving the following Sat am. I think thats the 11th. So, sometime in there hopefully we can hook up for a while. I wonder how many people swim off the pier behind the condo's im staying in? Wonder if it's worth a scan or no. I should check with the guy Im renting from and see if the complex has any rules against it but then again, I'd be in the water and they dont own that. :)

Thanks for the info guys. And YEAH,, I know Pcola is north of Tampa. :):) But its south of where I am now. LOL

The excal would be good for under the dock, usually there is a lot of trash and my poor sea hunter would go crazy lol..

What happens if im holding a ring from the 1800's and drop it? Does it belong to the state?
Interesting....there is a famous Florida hunter who says his first ring was a $50,000 emerald incrusted ship wreck ring. The first find he ever made. He also sells paper back books on beach detecting. Nothing wrong with this picture. :laughing: He still owns the ring though. I wonder why the state has not taken it back. :D

The law changed i believe around 1980ish. He might of found it before then im guessing

The excal would be good for under the dock, usually there is a lot of trash and my poor sea hunter would go crazy lol..

I have the 8.5x11, 5x8 and now have the 4" sniper coil so under the dock wont be a problem. :) I have an "L" Shaped dock here in my town behind a restaurant that I worked a bit last summer. Only a little more than waist deep on the deep end and I could probably walk another 100 yds out before getting to my chest. All sand/muck so pretty easy to scoop and work. Found quite a bit of stuff there. Everything from sunglasses, clad, OLD Fishing rod handle with part of the reel still on it, junk ring. Oh, Also found (with my sand scoop fortunately) a DEEP and wide hole that I'd never have seen. I was in about 3' of water and was using my scoop kind of like a cane while scanning. Went to put it down and I almost fell over cause the scoop hit nothing. I leaned out and found the hole was about 6' across and almost as deep. Maybe prop wash from someone pulling out a boat that may have gotten stuck in the shallower part or maybe that is one of the springs that keep poping up out there. Either way would not have been good for my headphones. LOL. At least in Pcola harbor its fairily clear and able to see bottom. Ever get crabs biting you when MDng? LOL

I'm hunting Pensacola but I don't bother much at the beach personally. The earlier comments all seem accurate. I got told to piss off about five swings in at the ft Pickens park when I first moved here haha. But the beach is fair game past the dunes. HH!

Back
Top Bottom