On this day...Ziggy Stardust was born

DIGGER27

In Memory Of
Alabama, by way of Detroit, Tampa Bay, Alabama and
February 10th 1972 in a little pub venue in the UK called The Toby Pub Jug Bowie and the Spiders put on a show.
He was kinda popular at the time, not near what he was to become but he had 4 other albums out by this time and he had his fans...but I don't think anyone at this concert expected...this.

A first hand account of this event here...
http://www.5years.com/stephenking.htm

Love him or hate him, weird as he may have seemed to some you can't say he didn't have a huge effect on music in his life and say what you will when he wanted to...that man could rock.

A few months later the Ziggy album was released and went to # 5 in the UK but only made it up to #75 in the U.S..
Over the years it hit gold in both countries and has been rated one of the most important and best albums of all times since then.
It finally reached the highest it ever went to after his death when it hit #21.

He wrote lots of the songs for this album before he released Hunky Dory, that one came out only to satisfy a record label contract, and many of he songs for Alladin Sane were written on the Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars tour.

A bit of sidenote history, Bowie wanted Hunky Dory's keyboard man Rick Wakeman to play keyboards on the Ziggy album but he had to turn it down because he had already committed himself to another little startup band called Yes.

For you youngsters I can't tell you what growing up in the 60's and 70's was like for me, a kid who really loved music at a time of so many legendary bands and music and I was lucky enough to live in a major city where they all came through and played at one time or another.
I couldn't go to every concert but I sure attended way more than my share in those days.

Out of all of Bowie's stuff the Ziggy era was my favorite but I missed him at the Fisher Theatre on his Ziggy Stardust tour in 1973 but in October 1974 he came to the Michigan Palace for 6 concerts and I made sure I was there for one of them.
Still had the bright red hair but the Ziggy cut was gone, so was Mick Ronson this was the backing band and set list..

Band Members:
David Bowie - vocals

The Mike Garson Band
Mike Garson - piano, mellotron
Earl Slick - lead guitar
Carlos Alomar - rhythm guitar
Emir Ksasan - bass
Dennis Davis - drums
Pablo Rosario - percussion
David Sanborn - alto sax, flute
Richard Grando - baritone sax, flute
Michael Kamen - electric piano, moog, oboe
Geoffrey MacCormack aka Warren Peace - backing vocals
Ava Cherry - backing vocals
Robin Clark - backing vocals
Jean Fineberg - backing vocals
Anthony Hinton - backing vocals
Dianne Sumler - backing vocals
Luther Vandross - backing vocals

Setlist:
01. Memory Of A Free Festival (cuts in)
02. Rebel Rebel
03. John I'm Only Dancing
04. Sorrow
05. Changes
06. 1984
07. Moonage Daydream
08. Rock 'N' Roll With Me
09. Love Me Do ->
10. The Jean Genie
11. Diamond Dogs
12. Young Americans
13. Can You Hear Me
14. It's Gonna Be Me

Encore
15. Somebody Up There Likes Me
16. Suffragette City
17. Rock 'N' Roll Suicide

Note a couple of the standouts in that band.

Still one of the best concerts I ever remember going to.

He was known but the Ziggy Stardust album placed him firmly on the road to being a superstar.

Wish I could have been there at that small pub in England on that night in history.

I did not appreciate him much until after his popularity had waned. I really loved his Heathen CD from around 2004? I had a few favorites of mine from him....but all time favorite would most likely be Hero's, or Ashes to Ashes, or..etc...smiles.

He seemed to get better with age in my humble opinion.

HDD

Back
Top Bottom