JAN-FEB-MAR finds

holey smoke

Last year I had a pretty decent first quarter, but this year I haven't even bothered to post monthy finds since I could seldom get out due to weather and even when I could get out, it was difficult to get to the targets.

But things are starting to pick up so I'll clear the table today.

All finds were in fresh water out to about waist deep using a Surf PI that is literally held together with marine epoxy and electrical tape. Mostly public beaches and one State Park I visted the other weekend with CTCurt. Had a great time. Didn't find much.

So we have the obligatory sunglasses, a rocket nose (I find a lot of these), cell phone, some square nails, a nice old iron key (encrusted- upper left), a Tootsietoy Jeep, a Matchbox plane, a junk anklet, some fishing lures, oddballs, $6.51 in clad and a dollar bill, some interesting bones, three junk rings, and a 10k Pooh Bear.

The big pile of clad in the center is from one single "spill". I saw an odd thing on the beach; two of those mini-seedless watermelons washed up on the shore. They caught my eye so I checked them out. Looked fresh and untouched, just washed up. While I was looking at them I spotted a penny in the wash. Scooped it and noticed another penny. Ran the coil over the area and it was chatter city. For a while I sat there just scooping and rinsing, with 2-5 pennies in each scoop. Thinned it out enough and cleaned the area up with the machine. Total of 43 pennies and one nickel. Couldn't have been there more than a day. Looked like someone just sat there throwing pennies at the watermelons. You just can't make this stuff up.

082_zpseb4b4c76.jpg

After three months of nothing but junk, I went out to my favorite spot yesterday. Little wave action, beautiful day. I was hunting a groove in the sand almost chest-deep and got a nice hit. Scooped up a Pooh Bear pendant. Noticed it was hallmarked 10k, but usually these are fake. So I didn't think too much of it, except that is was exceptionally clean and couldn't possibly have been a fresh drop; the water temp is still in the 30's. Got home and hit it with a jewler's cloth- man. Gold has that luster you just can't fake. So I tested it for plating. Nope, solid. Then I broke out the acid. I used a 10k class ring for a control line and sure enough, both pieces tested identically. 8.24 grams of 10K. Why someone would pay for a gold Winnie the Pooh is beyond me, but I'll take it.

083_zps71fa457b.jpg

Good Luck & HH all!

Like to pendant

Thanks for posting finds so far this year. Love the Pooh bear! Gold is gold! Makes me want to get out today. Got to bench test the Minelab Excalibur as haven't used it in years. Minelab Explorer SE working great though so at least I can hit places I've been researching on land. Do have water sites I want to try too.

BWAHAHAHAHA!!

Oh, if I had found that bear, I would *so* give it to someone I know!

She thinks her Pooh is solid gold!! :laughing:

SageGrouse

Nice report and reality of water hunting. As for the 10 K Winnie the Pooh, a good friend of mine's wife is a Tinkerbell freak. You guessed it, she wears a large 14k Tinkerbell necklace that he bought her as a gift. Your are right, people do, do strange things.

Back
Top Bottom