Saw a Holy Man Today

Ra1der5

Athletic Supporter
Forum Supporter
And why not, it's Good Friday. but that detectorist seriously needed to go to confession!

I hit the beach at 6:00am... about 30 mins before dawn AND low tide. There he was, diggin like he was walkin' on water. As the sun rose, I could see the Swiss cheese he left in his wake. Maybe he thought no one else would be there? Maybe it was too dark? Some holes 10" deep in otherwise prestine low tide pack.

None the less, I hunted... and watched my step. He left a few pennies behind, but not much else for "Hairpin" & T-Rex. $.67 to show for my trouble today. Hairpin showed it versatility though; I found several variations of hairpins today! :laughing: Tomorrow I'm resolved to a dry sand hunt with the '350.

T-Rex is performing as anticipated. I dug a nice sized piece of granite out of the ocean today with nary a scratch. I'm sure that rock would have put the 'ol POS in the grave. I'm pleased with the scoop, but I need a good handle. There aren't many options for 1-3/8" handles on the left coast. I've jerry-rigged a clothes hanger pole in the mean while, but this isn't going to last long.

There aren't many options for 1-3/8" handles on the left coast. I've jerry-rigged a clothes hanger pole in the mean while, but this isn't going to last long.
It should be 1 1/4 ID on the pipe, not 1 3/8. I do not know of handles that big. There are smaller handles in Europe but not here. If your handle is too small use Gorilla Tape 2" and wrap it a bit until it fits tight. It will last.

when ron gave us that scoop, he said

the dia. of the pipe was for a "Ames" round Ash post hole digger handle - they should be available at any home depot or Lowes if u go with ash handles.

like Lookin said, just buy larger fiberglass rake handle and add tape to outside to make it fit - works perfect.
closet rod is weak ticket, but will probably work if not very long.
your scoop

Attachments

• DIA.jpg
    DIA.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 226
Thanks

the dia. of the pipe was for a "Ames" round Ash post hole digger handle - they should be available at any home depot or Lowes

I remember you telling me about the Ames handles. Our two HDs dont carry them. Also tried OSH, Pro Build, and A-Tool Shed. Most of what they carry is 1.25 diameter. Lowes is a ways away, but I'll be near there for Easter Sunday, so I might have to take a detour :yes: (maybe i should call before putting the wife and kids through that? :newidea:). I know the closet rod won't last, but I had to put something in it to take it for a spin.

Things are (and have been) pretty sanded here. I'm tired of digging iron with "Hairpin", so I did some dry stuff this morning looking for fresh drops. $3.94 in clad with a dollar piece, some costume jewelry, and not one hairpin! The dry sand falls through T-Rex like sugar.

Do you have a Tractor Supply in your area? Gold Digger just picked up the hoe with the fiberglass handle on sale for $15. I have that handle on my scoop and it is working fine. It will take a 1 inch dowel epoxied inside for a nice strong handle. It's a little larger than 1 1/4 inches so it should fit the T rex just fine.

Back
Top Bottom