Questions about MD'ing in the woods.

Brafcauknid

Hey all, I have a few questions about metal detecting in the woods. I really would like to get out in the woods and do some metal detecting and incorporate it into my extensive camping plans this summer. I have yet to metal detect in the woods and would like any advice anyone has on the subject.

The blm land around me is pretty diverse, I have desert, pinyons/scrub brush hills, red rock mesas, and pine forrests all within a 30 minute drive. Is there one of these that would be better? Besides the obvious old foundations, cleared land etc what should I look for? Also, the pine forrests have a number of lakes, would those be worth checking? Does detecting in the woods provide any unique challenges I need to be aware of?...other then getting eaten by a hungry bear I mean.:D Anyways, I appreciate all the help, Im still extremely new to md'ing general and could use all the help I can get.

Know Why you are Looking

I always research the specific area. I look at the historical facts and look for old stagecoach stations, known bandit hideouts, robbery locations and the like.

Hey all, I have a few questions about metal detecting in the woods. I really would like to get out in the woods and do some metal detecting and incorporate it into my extensive camping plans this summer. I have yet to metal detect in the woods and would like any advice anyone has on the subject.

The blm land around me is pretty diverse, I have desert, pinyons/scrub brush hills, red rock mesas, and pine forrests all within a 30 minute drive. Is there one of these that would be better? Besides the obvious old foundations, cleared land etc what should I look for? Also, the pine forrests have a number of lakes, would those be worth checking? Does detecting in the woods provide any unique challenges I need to be aware of?...other then getting eaten by a hungry bear I mean.:D Anyways, I appreciate all the help, Im still extremely new to md'ing general and could use all the help I can get.

If you were a hunter, where would you go in these places? I would try these places.

Back
Top Bottom