eTrac and killer bees question

Hound46

I’m using an eTrac in multi-tone conductive and killer bee headphones. Hunting in the factory coin mode, I get what i think is nulling, but I hear tone variations. Is what I though was a null signal something different?

“Nulling” is the audio going SILENT as the coil goes over a discriminated object. If you are hearing tones at all, it is seeing SOMETHING which is NOT discriminated.

The threshold will hum constantly until you get over metal. When the hum goes silent (null), you are over metal that you have discriminated out. Metal that you have not discriminated out will make a tone or tones depending on what you are over, and the pitch of those tones will vary depending on the co/fe properties of the target. If you are in trashy ground you will get nearly constant beeping and nulling. Some ground is so trashy it may not be worth detecting.

Just so you know, the threshold going silent is VERY important information. It's a great way to tell you that you are over trash or other metal you have discriminated out, without giving constant, annoying beeps. As you learn your Etrac this "silent" information will become very useful.

Edit, If you are mainly looking for coins, I would use the Bill S trashy park pattern. It's very good at discriminating out most trash.

Also, I think the stock coin pattern that comes on the Etrac is geared for Australian coins. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure you will miss coins such as U.S. silver dollars and maybe more using that pattern.

Just so you know, the threshold going silent is VERY important information. It's a great way to tell you that you are over trash or other metal you have discriminated out

very true, listening to the threshold (mine is set at 15) in multi tone/conductive trashy park discrimination screen is like TTF in an open screen once you learn what to listen for... instead of low tone beeps the threshold just goes silent over whatever you have discrimated out. if it's a constant nulling and often.. it's a very trashy spot.

My use of “null” appears to be incorrect. It’s the humming sound in the background. That is what is varying in pitch.

My use of “null” appears to be incorrect. It’s the humming sound in the background. That is what is varying in pitch.

That humming sound is the threshold. The pitch and volume of the threshold can be adjusted in the menu but it should NOT vary on it's own. Does it do it when not using headphones?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom