Water Proof Equinox

Metal Hunting

Hi guys I have a problem with my favorite detector. My problem is I have had to return one every summer since I purchased it 3 years ago next month from water leaks. Now that my warranty is over I have considered different ways I could water proof it. Does anyone have any ideas I've considered covering it with a sealant(I can't afford another detector at this time).

Hi guys I have a problem with my favorite detector. My problem is I have had to return one every summer since I purchased it 3 years ago next month from water leaks. Now that my warranty is over I have considered different ways I could water proof it. Does anyone have any ideas I've considered covering it with a sealant(I can't afford another detector at this time).

Sorry to hear that you have had issues with your machine. My warranty is up October of this year. Scary thought! I have used mine the past two summers water hunting many times and have not had an issue thankfully. Double check all connections to ensure that they are tight including a black cap that goes over the plug in for the earphones. Not saying that you don't do this it's just a thought. Also maybe put gorilla tape over the speaker. That would help seal in case there is a tear crack or hole in the speaker. Best of luck hope you have a good year!

I think the waterproof feature in the equinox is closer to water resistant. I try not to dunk mine at all if I can help it. There are true waterproof machines made specifically for this type of hunting, but unfortunately, the nox isn't one of them it seems.

i think the waterproof feature in the equinox is closer to water resistant. I try not to dunk mine at all if i can help it. There are true waterproof machines made specifically for this type of hunting, but unfortunately, the nox isn't one of them it seems.
^×2. 100%

Thanks guys I guess i will have to save for that Excalibur, just find the 600 such a great machine. I guess will keep her for the dry sand or knee deep water.

I keep my 600 dry, but if I was a water hunter with warranty running out I would probably sell the Nox and pick up a new one with fresh warranty. I would definitely be concerned about dunking an out of warranty Nox.

Metal Hunting: said:
Thanks guys I guess i will have to save for that Excalibur, just find the 600 such a great machine. I guess will keep her for the dry sand or knee deep water.
Shop for a brand new EQ and you'll have a full warranty and use that one in the water. Might end up with one that doesn't leak, too! Then you'll have your current 600 for dry-land hunting even if you need to send a leaky new NOX in for service.

Monte

Mine leaked last summer, they gave me a new one and I've hunted in the water for over a few hours with it and so far so good...

BTW the headphone jack is waterproof even if that cap is not screwed on.

I have a 600 and had some weird glitches when water detecting, but nothing that an immediate removal and dry wouldn't fix. That said, I don't believe the machine is truly designed to be submerged regardless of the specs. I think it's mostly a wave crash or two.

I have not taken mine to salt water yet, which I would assume would be worse than freshwater situations. I could see were sand and salt would wear away at the seals much faster.

Id keep the 600 or 800 in the dry, the wet sand, and above the water line and use an excal in the water... about as simple as that. With that said, I often hunt with the 800 submerged while hunting up to my neck and never had a water problem. Seems like that issue comes and goes from machine to machine. I'm wondering if anyone's kept an eye on production times for leaks vs non leakers.

Sad that you pay that much for a detector that is supposed to be waterproof and you have to return it every year from water leaks. I hope you find a remedy to your problem.

On the equinox we pay for performance and only performance not ergonomics, reliability, etc I guess..

I think most of them have been OK, as with anything, we only hear about the bad ones. That being said, I think everybody including ML and the general public rushed the Equinox. We clambered for it when it was initially announced, and they had to release it (or at least take pre-orders) in order to squash the competition. So we are now left with a machine which may or may not croak when it goes swimming. If they would’ve had another 6-12 months to get everything correct, it might be correct. Hindsight is great, so be careful with them.

What amazes me is that someone hasn't organized a class action lawsuit and put an end to this fraud and misrepresentation.

after market is the way to go

here's a thread with reference to the "do it your self" waterproof heaphone connector. I got it, made it, it works. if ya can solder and "glue". BUT i've never submerged it, and won't, this is "rainproofing" for me.

http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=273096

I also found several "do it your self" waterproof upgrades on yoo toob. here's one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdLJssAzMAc

but the real deal was a link to someone (out in west europe) who had a new case design that looked pretty good, can't find (still looking though). it looked legit, except that you had to send the detector overseas (he did the work). i'm not doing that.

about all I can say is just simply don't submerge the nox. no matter what the manufacturer says, or do it before the warrenty ends.

I won't ; electronics and water just don't mix, especially one that say "water proof"... they are always wrong.

-TK

Last edited:
They updated the E Trac and CTX. It's called the Equinox. It's cheaper than both, and will find targets that both will not.

Shop for a brand new EQ and you'll have a full warranty and use that one in the water. Might end up with one that doesn't leak, too! Then you'll have your current 600 for dry-land hunting even if you need to send a leaky new NOX in for service.

Monte

I would call minelab,and thoroughly as I could, explain what is happening with the detector when you use it water hunting. emphasize that you find it intolerable that when you send it In, it comes back "not repaired!" explain that this situation 'reflects' upon them from a marketing perspective, and that you have several friends looking for a good detector, but you "may" have to send them to a competitor instead!..I believe this course of action should accomplish the ''desired effect" IF NOT,then plan b would be to take monte's advice and purchase a "second" 600,and proceed accordingly.at that point, you 'might" want to ask monte for the "funds" to purchase the detector, since it was his idea in the first place!..I'm just sayin'

(h.h.!)
j.t.

Back
Top Bottom