Second signal, Sword! --Updated cleaning

EmuDetector

Forum Supporter
So I am on a new property with a coworker that I shoot long range with and I got into talking to his parents about the land (they currently live on it) and found that the current homes were built in the 1950s, but the property has been heavily used by Native Americans, Colonial and Civil War activities. We brought the detectors out after the shoot for a bit to spot check around to see what we could find and we stumbled on some awesome finds. Now this couple has a small mountain of stone tools, arrow heads, and she even has a Union button and 1874 seated dime from SURFACE finds. So needless to say, we will be searching this place hard as the temps come up. They also were super into my extra detector and became a husband and wife shovel/detector team for the afternoon.

Now the finds, starting out my second signal walking around I found was a low signal (nox800) and I began to dig and hit something iron. I yank it from the ground thinking its farm parts, and behold, I pull a freaking sword! She will be getting an electrolysis bath, but you can readily see the fullers, spine, sharp edge, and handle. The tip appears broken and I can make out a stamp in the handle area with what looks like a C and another shape. (will report more later).

As we moved around the yard we found several coins from the 40s and 50s, making out with Wheaties from '44, '48, 49', and '54. Dimes from '53 x2, and a '46. A quarter from '48 and to top it off a '67 Half dollar. There were some other pieces that were keeper worthy, the spoon in the photos was newer though. But thanks in advance for looking, hopefully in the next couple days I will have clean photos of the sword. Any inspection mark experts chime in.

Thanks for looking!

---- Update
The sword got its electrolysis bath today and a rub down with Naval Jelly and it turned out pretty well considering the pitting and harshness of our soils here. The outside photo shows is before the Gempler's treatment, so it's a bit darker after that. I'll get an outside photo with it tomorrow for the final product in better lighting.

Before:

In the tank

After about 2 hours in the tank

After the Gemplers

Last edited:
You got some neat stuff. Can’t wait to see the outcome of the sword

Outstanding research! And finds, you cover hundreds of years with them. The sword is a bucket lister alone.

Wow a sword that would make any person hyperventilate. I can’t wait to see the after photos and hear what you find out about it. Congratulations

Thanks for the comments all! The thread was updated with the sword cleaning, but I will have to get a better final photo tomorrow when the sun is out again. Thanks again for looking!

Man that sound like a awesome place to hunt and some long range shooting sounds pretty fun albeit involved too (I’m just a lowly plinker :lol:)

The sword is really looking good after the electrolysis, pretty dang cool!

Man that sound like a awesome place to hunt and some long range shooting sounds pretty fun albeit involved too (I’m just a lowly plinker :lol:)

The sword is really looking good after the electrolysis, pretty dang cool!

Thanks, we're hoping to turn up some great finds in the future! I ended up running the sword for about 8 hours in the tank, the outside photo was after about two. So all that brown rust ended up coming off.

If you need a long range coach, I know a guy. 😎😅

Better photos added from after the electrolysis, naval jelly, and gemplers. It turned out pretty good considering the age. Right now the profile looks like an 1852 Navy Saber, but still looking!

Sword is awesome !! The experience had to be a shocker. Hope you can find the hilt and pommel, good luck on your return trip.

Thanks guys! Yeah it would be awesome to complete it for sure. But it's right on the edge of a barn that fell down, so signals galore. 🙄

Back
Top Bottom