Your level of excitement finding your first good coin?

aj0421

Elite Member
I was pretty excited to find my first coin in the ground which turned out to be just a zinc penny. Can't wait to find my first silver! What was your reaction finding your first silver or even better.......gold coin?

First I remember...was a 1910 dime found next to my grandmother's bean patch. That was around 1983 or 84. didnt jump up and down, but I was quietly content and reassured that I chose a good hobby to "waste" my time and money on.

The first find that excited me was a simple flat button. It had a little shinny flaky stuff on front and on back it says "Fine Plated Surface". That was my 3rd time detecting with a Bounty Hunter Quick Silver detector. A few days later I went back to the same spot and found my first silver coin, a 1923 Mercury Dime! That got me hooked. That was 2013 and I've been at it ever since.

I found my first silver coin, a Mercury Dime, in 1983 and it was nice but I can't say I was excited. Thirty years later in 2013, I found my first (and only) gold coin. That one got me excited. :wow2:

Last edited:
I get a happy feeling when I find an old silver or LC, but the 8 Reales made me shake and say a few bad words.

Back in the seventies when I was a kid my mother’s uncle let me play around with his metal detector in my yard and I found a Standing liberty quarter. It was a happy childhood memory. Looking back I likely found the coin because it was deliberately place in my path of swing. I found it with a green Garrett machine that weighed half as much as I did at the time. I still have that coin.

Growing up I thought about buying a metal detector for years but did not get around to it till about 2011 when I purchased my ACE 350. I dedicated a fair amount of time and energy to my new hobby but was getting discouraged because all I was finding was modern clad and junk. Then one day I dug a silver Mercury dime………Can’t say I did Diggers style cartwheel flips, but I was pleased.

I actually do not remember what my first silver coin was,. I think it was a Barber dime or a Barber quarter but since i refuse to spend time filling out logs i do not know for certain. But i do remember where i found each of those coins.

1781 half reale. Thought it was a hikers modern dime at first, then I brushed the dirt and saw the backside first. Screamed, very very loud when I found it. 😅

Makes no difference to me, every coin I find is it's first to be found by me. I get excited with every coin I find. And probably will be more excited with whatever coin I find next.

Thank you everybody for your replies! I enjoyed reading each and every one of them.

I decided to get into the hobby because I already have a love for coin collecting. I am new and hope to find some large cents, silver and gold but until than I can look at the ones I have bought for my collection. I just wish Silver Eagles were in circulation....what a beautiful large coin.

I was hunting a park in SLC Utah at 1am in the morning. The park I was hunting was an amusement park from 1879 - 1926. It is now a golf course in the middle of Salt Lake.

I pulled over 100 Barber dimes and 6 Barber halves out of that park and countless Merc dimes. My best Mercs were 2 1926 S that I sold for 100.00 each.

Anyway, while I was hunting I got a zinc penny signal at about 5 inches deep. I dug it and saw a coin. I picked it up and saw an eagle in the moonlight. I knew I had a gold coin. I filled in the hole, turned off my machine and drove home holding that coin in my left hand the whole time.

I ran it under tap water and found it was an 1893CC eagle. Only 14 thousand made and the last year they minted gold coins in Carson City.

That is a great story Scubadetective, I have an old amusement park( Clementon Park) near me that was closed for 2 years and was just recently purchased that was first established in 1907. I dream of searching around there and the great finds there must be.

Wow Scubadetective, great story! That's why I ALWAYS dig those signals. There is so much treasure that rings up as a Zinc penny.

Steve

Thank you everybody for your replies! I enjoyed reading each and every one of them.

I decided to get into the hobby because I already have a love for coin collecting. I am new and hope to find some large cents, silver and gold but until than I can look at the ones I have bought for my collection. I just wish Silver Eagles were in circulation....what a beautiful large coin.

Indeed, I too collected coins for a few years before I got my first detector. That was probably between ages 8 - 12. Instead of having alot of American silver though, I actually had a ton of foreign coins spanning about 100 years. I even had some Nazi currency. I had Spanish Civil War era Franco coins, West German pfennigs, old British coins, old Chinese coins even...and stuff with writing I couldnt even read. And oddly I still dont know how I ended up with so many. During that period I was a magnet for them even without a detector. Eventually a local dept store opened a tiny coin-trading kiosk inside. That was where I bought the Nazi coins.

One very cool find that stood out was finding a 1792 Liberty Dollar...in a phone booth! No detector needed. It was heavily worn but still an amazing find. I always wondered who simply leave that there.

Last edited:
My first silver coin was a 1920D walking liberty half dollar. I was very excited about it. Found it on my own property.

Attachments

• C0DDFDF8-8124-4CCD-AE53-0DF335B8AA09.jpeg
    C0DDFDF8-8124-4CCD-AE53-0DF335B8AA09.jpeg
    46.8 KB · Views: 254
The second coin that I dug in 2008 with my new DFX was a Mercury dime. Was very nostalgic as I attended the grade school where I found it back in the early 1970’s.

Back
Top Bottom