Frustrating!

ScubaDetective

In Memory Of
Forum Supporter
I absolutely love the Equinox 800, BUT if they are going to make a waterproof machine it should be just that.

I have had to send one back four times and the other will be back 3 times after this week. They keep replacing the pods but the replacement pods do the same thing. After you plug in the headphones and use them in the water the volume goes to nothing on land without headphones. But the one that went back four times and I will be getting back this week drowned the first time I waded with it. Filled with water. I really wish Minelab had a better quality control.

For those of you that use them in the water and then on land without any headphones, anyone have the same issue?

I have not had the same issue, but only have dunked my 800 in freshwater lakes, and only have used the Minelab yellows headphones (not a fan but all I have). Sucks to hear of the possibilities. Will get more dunk time on mine this summer in the local lakes and hoping it won’t flood...

You might try using teflon type on the phones connector going into the box. I suspect ML will be getting some of that money back when warranties end. ML has never really been willing to FIX issues.... look at the Xcal. CS on the Nox has been the best. But even now that seems to be changing. Ive broken the cuff but went to an Andersons shaft, two coil ears, never used the shaft much in the water but mine dont wobble, and returned mine for dead battery and stres cracks on the screw mounts. Hate to have issue.... BUT i give credit to ML for stepping up with that long warranty. Anyone with an Xcal knows what im saying.

It would be the perfect detector if the thing was really waterproof. If only someone built a water proof case to keep the water out. I found this one but can't find much on where to buy, looks like a great idea.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210407-094503_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20210407-094503_Photos.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 404
Totally agree, if you're going to say something is waterproof it really should be! My guess is they rushed it to the market to have a less expensive "waterproof" detector out there knowing full well that it would leak. The math is probably something like this, only 5% of folks who buy one will go deeper than knee deep, and maybe only half of that group will have problems. This way they can estimate they will really only have to replace machines for about 2.5% of buyers. At that rate they have a 97.5% successful design on their hands!
Makes good business sense for them to just replace a head unit or coil here and there and keep selling them, after all most of us who bought them will just give up in the end and switch back to old reliable.
Personally I gave up on the equinox after flooding two of them and did not want to risk flooding number 3...

Add Silicone around/over the paper washer area. $3 fix.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To tell the truth I'm not terribly impressed with the build quality of some of the Minelabs. They may have cornered the market, at least temporarily with some of their digital EMF circuitry and programming, but I find the Noktas, Tesoros and even DeepTechs to be far more attractive. They seem much more solid and I dont care if they require a little more digging than a Nox or any of its close relatives to identify targets.

I keep hearing about issues like yours with Minelabs. Just last week a guy was selling an Excaliber on Ebay starting bids at just $200. He said it also leaked. Havent heard that so much with Nokta/Makro.

Last edited:
I had convinced myself that when I upgraded again, that it would be an Equinox 600, but when the time came about a month ago, I did quite a lot of research and decided that there were things that I didn't like about the Nox. :shock:
(A) My information indicated that the build quality was lacking.
(B) Personally, I do not like the idea of downloading data to the machine.
(C) Personally, I do not like the idea of a proprietary battery.
(D) Personally, I think that their warranty could be better.
For these reasons, the Fisher got the nod. Initially, I wondered if I had made the right decision, but now with 80 hours on the new machine, I know that it was the right choice for me. I don't water hunt, so the waterproof issue is inconsequential for my circumstances, but I think that it is indicative of the build quality. JMHO GL and HH.

I had convinced myself that when I upgraded again, that it would be an Equinox 600, but when the time came about a month ago, I did quite a lot of research and decided that there were things that I didn't like about the Nox. :shock:
(A) My information indicated that the build quality was lacking.
(B) Personally, I do not like the idea of downloading data to the machine.
(C) Personally, I do not like the idea of a proprietary battery.
(D) Personally, I think that their warranty could be better.
For these reasons, the Fisher got the nod. Initially, I wondered if I had made the right decision, but now with 80 hours on the new machine, I know that it was the right choice for me. I don't water hunt, so the waterproof issue is inconsequential for my circumstances, but I think that it is indicative of the build quality. JMHO GL and HH.

I used to ignore Fisher for some reason but lately I've giving them a much deeper look. Their latest P.I. model really caught my eye.

I used to ignore Fisher for some reason but lately I've giving them a much deeper look. Their latest P.I. model really caught my eye.

I have 4 Fisher CZ-21's and 1 Fisher CZ-20. they are my go to water machine. However the Nox is supposed to find small gold and that is why I try it. I will leave it out of the water when the warranty is up in June. I just bought my 3rd brand new one so I have another 3 year warranty.

I have had (3) 800's drown on me; two in freshwater and the other on the first wade in saltwater. The last drowning was after about 5 dunks, thought it was a keeper, nope. I do not trust them in the water. Mine will also stay dry or no deeper than 2' in the water when the warranty expires. For deeper wading & diving I'll keep using my CZ20.

I absolutely love the Equinox 800, BUT if they are going to make a waterproof machine it should be just that.

I have had to send one back four times and the other will be back 3 times after this week. They keep replacing the pods but the replacement pods do the same thing. After you plug in the headphones and use them in the water the volume goes to nothing on land without headphones. But the one that went back four times and I will be getting back this week drowned the first time I waded with it. Filled with water. I really wish Minelab had a better quality control.

For those of you that use them in the water and then on land without any headphones, anyone have the same issue?

When the headphone jack fills with water it shorts the contacts and the unit still thinks the headphones are connected thereby turning off the external speaker. Dry out the headphones socket and it should work normally.

From page 58 of the manual:

Headphone Socket Submersion

The headphone socket on the detector is waterproof, and will not be damaged if submerged without the plastic dust-cap attached.However, if water enters the headphone jack it may cause false headphone detection. If this occurs, the detector speaker audio will cease and the headphones icon will appear on the LCD.Resolve this by clearing the water from the headphones socket.

When the headphone jack fills with water it shorts the contacts and the unit still thinks the headphones are connected thereby turning off the external speaker. Dry out the headphones socket and it should work normally.

From page 58 of the manual:

Headphone Socket Submersion

The headphone socket on the detector is waterproof, and will not be damaged if submerged without the plastic dust-cap attached.However, if water enters the headphone jack it may cause false headphone detection. If this occurs, the detector speaker audio will cease and the headphones icon will appear on the LCD.Resolve this by clearing the water from the headphones socket.

That was not in the original manual. Never saw that before!! I don't know how water is getting in either. Going to try teflon tape. Thank you

That was not in the original manual. Never saw that before!! I don't know how water is getting in either. Going to try teflon tape. Thank you

Welcome. The headphone socket is completely sealed off from the pod internals, or at least it should be. All it takes is a drop of water between the jack terminals to shut down the external speaker. Are you leaving the phones connected at the end of your hunt? If so, try disconnecting and letting the socket dry out or drain.

Calling any machine that can not exceed 10 feet in depth waterproof is not totally accurate. Ten feet is water resistant at best. But it it leaks while wading then it is not even water resistant.

Back
Top Bottom