Please help a newbie to the hobby......

foamer01

Greetings,

I am from the West Michigan area and my son and I are considering this new hobby. My wife says no however we think otherwise :lol:

Please don't laugh at my question. After doing some reading, I am a bit confused. I would like to search for coins and metal artifacts in and around old homesteads and parks. Additionally would like to explore the several miles of beaches we have here in Michigan. So my question is this: Gold rings on the beach. Will the average entry level equipment such as Fisher 22 or 44 locate a gold ring? Sounds like you may need another type of detector for gold. Sounds like silver is no problem.

Any thoughts on my question or a detector that would work for our needs would be appreciated. So when at the beach I would probable get the coil end wet at some point.

Thanks for reading my post.

While gold is an excellent conductor, jewelry is rarely pure gold. It is mixed with other metals that reduce the conductivity. Because of this, gold rings will ring up anywhere from foil to nickels to pulltabs and beyond, so most any detector can find gold rings. Lots of options for machines with budget being the major issue (for me anyway). I'm sure someone will chime in on detector selection. And welcome from the Missouri Ozarks! :fmdfwelcome:

Any metal detector can locate gold, but if you're talking wet sand beaches, most entry level detectors won't work so well there. The Minelab Vanquish series would work. They have 3 models at various price points that are just a bit (but not too much) above where the Fisher F22 sits. The Simplex I own does OK, but it still a bit chatty on the wet stuff. Whatever you decide, good luck and happy hunting!

Look at getting a couple Nokta Simplex+ machines.

Very rugged and waterproof. Great price. Work great on fresh water beaches.

If you dunk a Vanquish you might not be happy with the results.

Contact a dealer from this site for your best value. I always work with Craig from Show Me Treasure. He's fantastic. His username is detectingMO

Just a question for michigan hunters...is there heavy mineralization at the freshwater beaches this guy has to worry about?

Any metal detector can locate gold, but if you're talking wet sand beaches, most entry level detectors won't work so well there. The Minelab Vanquish series would work. They have 3 models at various price points that are just a bit (but not too much) above where the Fisher F22 sits. The Simplex I own does OK, but it still a bit chatty on the wet stuff. Whatever you decide, good luck and happy hunting!

Dont think hes gots worry to much about salt beaches where hes at?

Get a waterproof (submersible) detector. I find more jewelry in the water than out. You could accidentally dunk it, the sand won't get in it and you can wash it easily. 2 good waterproof detectors are the Simplex and the AT Pro. These will perform better than the ones you mentioned. The Simplex will perform as good or better in my opinion than the AT and cost half as much but a lot of people prefer the AT.

Back
Top Bottom