6 weeks + 3 new detectors = now what?

Metal Pig

Forum Supporter
So in an impulsive but fairly well researched attempt to get back into MD'ing, I've picked up the follwing three detectors in a rather short time.

1. Tesoro Bandido micromax, 12khz operation
2. Makro Gold Kruzer, 61khz operation
3. Tesoro Silver Sabre, 10khz operation

I was detector-less for about 2 years and the last two detectors I used before the "break" were a White's Classic III and a Teknetics Eurotek Pro. As you can see, I kind of went all out in arming myself for MD'ing again in a short time, covering most bases, not breaking the bank, giving myself variation and options, quality...and maybe a little obsessed with finding fine jewelry(?) :giggle: I have about 18 hours on the Bandido, 6 on the Gold Kruzer...and the Silver Sabre has yet to arrive. The Minelab simultaneous frequency approach may be the be the new "in" thing...but personally i think you get to know a site better with multiple detectors working one frequency at a time. The the simultaneous technology is impressive and people have the finds to show for it, but I think it's best to keep humans in control of the process more than the machine, even if it's a little more work. With that said, I would not turn down a deal on Nox 600 or Vanquish 540. So now after this educated yet impulsive buying binge I've had, I'm wondering where to go from here. Some questions are arising:

1. Are these two Tesoros (Bandido & Silver Sabre) too much alike or do they compliment each other? Could they both drive a Clean Sweep Coil?

2. Should I have bought a new coil for one of my other detectors instead of impulse-buying a new detector?

3. If these were YOUR detectors right now, would sell any combination of them and buy something else? If so, what??

The frequencies I have covered now are 10, 12 and 61khz with these three machines. And I can tell you, this Gold Kruzer is NO SLOUCH! It is not merely a gold nugget finder only. It goes plenty deep in spite of the high frequency, picks up fine metals like brass and copper easily, finds coins ok, although the ID is not geared for coins. You can find relics with it too, and some guys on You Tube can be seen plucking very ineteresting old artifacts at respectable depth with the GK. I can already vouch that in spite of the leaning toward smaller, finer, heavy metals...you are not limted to that by any stretch, This is a professional detector that will go an extra mile if you'll go an extra mile and ultimately be competitive with all kinds of detecting. And I got it in like-new condition with nary a scratch for about $420 delivered! I got good to great deals on all of these, and I have still other things I can sell on Ebay to help raise money for even better machines. Before you have your say, I'll tell you what I've already thought. Obviously I have a soft spot for simple, well-designed, well-built brands like Tesoro without alot of bells and whistles. I'm also attracted to some DeepTech and Fisher models for that reason. I don't mind knobs and simple audio as long as the thing is not an excessive audio-spaz. I have looked at are the higher end Tesoros like Cortez, maybe Multi Kruzer (maybe giving me a better crack at silver), Impact, Anfibio Multi (or the 14 or 19khz Anfibio), Nox 600, Vanquish 440 or 540. Nokta Impact. I'm not disregarding the Simplex, and had my eye on it when this Silver Sabre suddenly jumped at me. However, I have seen it at work and the Nox's and other Nokta/Makros really do kill it in the end. Pound for pound, Simplex is a great little unit. If I hadn't found the Silver Sabre just now, in another week or two I might have bought a Simplex.

Would you keep all these and work with them for awhile, maybe just invest in more specialized coils...or would you sell some combination of them and buy into the next level? Personally I believe everyone should have at least one Tesoro. I will also say that I didn't buy the Gold Kruzer for the purpose of nugget hunting. I bought it for zeroing in aggressively on all kinds of precious metals in all quantities, in direct contrast to machines that focus more on "ordinary" coins and relics. That was also partially my thinking with the Silver Saber. The GK does in fact so far get it's best hits with fine copper and brass artifacts and fittings. I haven't found any silver or gold with it yet. However, a replacement would have to be an awfully good and versatile machine to make me part with it right now. I would not simply sell it and get a Nox 800.

Last edited:
I always enjoyed using Tesoro detectors back in the early days of my detecting journey.

There have been multiple versions of the Bandido micromax and the Silver Sabre. It is hard to answer your questions without knowing exactly which models you have.

I am a huge fan of the Nokta Makro Gold Kruzer. It is an incredible gold prospecting detector if the ground is not heavily mineralized. It works great for micro jewelry too and as you noted, it can hit coins, larger jewelry and relics very well even though the target IDs are quite a bit off the deeper the target. Rock solid detector that I used submerged in freshwater often with no problems.

The Simplex or the Multi Kruzer would be a very good addition to your detector stable if you decide to let go of a Tesoro or two.

I am a longtime user of the Equinox detectors. If you decided to get a 600 you would sure be getting a fine detector which can do well on the full range of targets.

The Tesoros are both the 1st micromax versions of each, not "2's". The Gold Kruzer...well, apparently you already know well about that.

So you would get rid of both Tesoros before the Gold Kruzer, huh? I dont have alot of time with the Kruzer yet. I was thinking I probably wont make another move until at least another month. It just also occurred to me that I could even get a really high-end unit if I let go of one Tesoro and the Gold Kruzer. With the proceeds from both and a little cash I could probably have a budget of at least $900 for another purchase and still have one of the Tesoros as a backup. At that level maybe Anfibio Multi, XP Deus or Orx, FORS CoRe, maybe a DeepTech or even better...I dunno. I could keep listing many more in that eschelon.

One thing I should add is that the Bandido was MINT when I bought it. The Silver has been put through some paces with its former owner and he made that clear. That doesnt mean it doesnt work well though. Here are my two Tesoros. Interestingly enough, that Monte fellow who seems to be a legend of sorts in the MD'ing forums also considers both these particular Tesoro models his favorites and uses them regularly to backup one higher-end cutting-edge machine. This did not influence my own choices really. I just like the simple effectiveness they offer. And there are other valid opinions out there besides his, I'm sure.

And you are right, the Multi Kruzer and the Gold Kruzer together cover alot of ground....(and water too, both being reliably submersible). With both I'd get four distinctively different frequencies: 5, 14, 19 and 61. By keeping a Tesoro I can even add 10 or 12 to that which is quite a spectrum! Either Kruzer could be a backup for the other and can share components like headphones and chargers. Really something to consider. It's just that I like variety and trying new angles on things. For instance I now own 4 synthesizers, 2 brands...but there was a period when I bought and sold over 40 of them just to try them out! What I ended up with is a testament to that and my period of heavy experimentation with synthesizers is over. I've stuck with Yamaha digital flagship synths plus some fully analog stuff on the side. My MD preferences seem to follow a similar trend.

Attachments

• 20210408_072841.jpg
    20210408_072841.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 488
  • 20210408_072628_copy_780x1040_1.jpg
    20210408_072628_copy_780x1040_1.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 495
Last edited:
I owned the same Silver Sabre model back some years ago. One of my favorites due to the threshold adjustment. I was never a fan of the first Bandido micro max.

I am not saying you should do anything in particular. You do have two very similar Tesoro detectors however.

I owned the same Silver Sabre model back some years ago. One of my favorites due to the threshold adjustment. I was never a fan of the first Bandido micro max.

I am not saying you should do anything in particular. You do have two very similar Tesoro detectors however.

I think I've only owned one or two detectors with a manual threshold and that was quite awhile ago. Obviously it gives you more control, but is it really such a critical parameter to have? As long as you have a machine which gives solid beeps over good targets, how does it really help you so much? Is it the principle that if you work with a continuous tone, it is also subject to continuous fluctuation which tells you more about what's around the target? I occasionally find that my Bandido will emit a continuous light tone for awhile with light squawking but it still screams when over a good target. Messing with GB doesn't seem to change it much. I'm not sure why it does it some times and not others. Most of the time it's silent but jumps to life in accordance with the discrimination setting. Since I still seem to get good hits when it does that, and I don't worry much. Is this the same principle as threshold or am I dealing with something else?

Incidentally, someone recently pointed out how his Tesoro is an aluminum magnet. So's mine. I find more aluminum of all kinds than I have with any other detector that I ever owned. Iron though, the Bandido does VERY well around it even with low discrimination. No worries there. It grabs old fittings and hardware made with much better metals when iron is close by or all over. Sifts it right out without any fancy software or digital discrimination. I can really see why, regardless of simplicity, people keep these around.

I guess I'll have to pit the Tesoros against each other when the Silver gets here. I'll do some tests somewhere, somehow, and see how it goes.

Last edited:
Love my Tesoros keep them both. both are tanks. make the sabre the in the trunk lot checker, since its cheaper and good for a quick hunt, and the Bandido the come back and in depth hunt unit. but dont think the Sabre is slack at all.

Ya done good!

Love my Tesoros keep them both. both are tanks. make the sabre the in the trunk lot checker, since its cheaper and good for a quick hunt, and the Bandido the come back and in depth hunt unit. but dont think the Sabre is slack at all.

Ya done good!

Ok, thanks for the detail! Why is the Saber cheaper? Are just talking about my case or all across the board. Yes, it was nearly $125 cheaper. But I've actually heard its hotter and better to drive demanding coils with.

never understood why myself. maybe the board was less costly , a few components. i use an Old silver sabre plus model still today, and an eldorado umax. so two somewhat similar but simple unit preset vs more advanced manual unit. i have found prob equal with them. the old sabre plus has no motion all metal and no pinpoint button, preset gb and no openly adjustable threshold, but a plug on the bottom is there to set it and therefore people screw them up going screwdriver happy. the old sabres were underneath like a turtle shell design,headphone jack on front slant, and you could thumb or forefinger the controls to check disc on targets. also easy flip to all metal. its my trunk unit. most people do not like the sabre plus and prefer the older originals or sabre II due to motion all metal. the tesoro shake. a wiggle of the coil is all you need to pinpoint with a litttle practice as i seldom even use all metal no motion. i really hate Tesoro went under, they made wonderful basic tough units. any sabre bandido( love the original underneath units, eldorados were work horses. i have a Troy Shadow x-2 which is a beefed up Sabre for Troy Galloway. the next two Shadows were made by Fisher. its a great unit IF the coin check is set properly for what it was designed for, but i seldom use coin check anyway. its a silver coin hunter in that aspect but can miss a ring or nickel using coin check.

as far as coils they all seem to work fine on any of the units, the old rule big coil deeper. small coil for trash. i use a Mojave coil on my sabre, i got from a guy who turned the mojave into a waterproof box unit and he got a weighted donut coil. its a good little coil like my troy 7. i do love the compadre coil for trash, on my grandkids unit. i have a flat white donut , 8 inch concenttic..maybe considered 9 i forget, solid, brown donut, , hockey puck too. the eldo has the killer 9x8 spiderweb. the troy the precision 7. if you ever get a widescan 10 go for it. it was on my original eldorado underneath big box i should have kept, although i have went to lighter units. as with my Garrett AT Pro, and array of coils is almost a new detector, although some may argue. all my tesoros/shadow interchange 5 pin units. some tesoro had the HOT coil series 4 pins.

Back
Top Bottom